Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Motor Smoke during ball diff and slipper break in!! >

Motor Smoke during ball diff and slipper break in!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the rc guy

Motor Smoke during ball diff and slipper break in!!

Old 07-01-2020, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Smoke during ball diff and slipper break in!!

Need some advice/help.

I just rebuilt the ball diff on my B6.2D. No issues with the diff barking and break in went smooth. I was setting the slipper clutch until I saw the front wheels come off the ground 1/2 in or so.

doing this, as I tightened the slipper 1/8-1/4 of a turn at a time, the pinion and spur locked up and then the motor let out a little whisp of smoke. Not a smoke show, and not anything really worth noting as serious from my perspective however, itís a new motor.

would this be something serious to be concerned about?

any suggestions on the method of tightening the slipper until the front comes off the ground?

Iím running the three pad vented slipper system
Old 07-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That's unusual in my experience. I've used that method many times without issue. You were just blipping the throttle long enough to raise the front end right? Smoke is never a good thing. It's just a question of how much damage was done.

I usually set mine where the front wheels come off about 1-2 inches. I put the car on the ground and put both my feet on the rear wheels to hold them. But slipper tightness depends on track conditions, more traction less slip needed.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

How much had you run the motor? You said its new, was the whole use a few short throttle blips? It may be faulty, I've had one that would start to spew out smoke after a few seconds, but if I just blipped the throttle it wouldn't emit any smoke at all.

In my experience new electronics either work or they don't, there isn't any in between. Its unlikely you've done anything to cause it to do that, if it always smokes then I'd be asking the place you bought it from for replacement. If it doesnt smoke anymore just run it and see how it goes. You won't be voiding any warranty by using it a bit.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

sounds like motor moved.. Id worry smoke is never a Oh just run it thing....
petersen114 likes this.