• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Rally question I joined so that I could ask

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rally question I joined so that I could ask

Hi All,
Brand new here, and pretty new to anything RC. Last month I bought the newish HPI Venture rock crawler as an introduction to RC. It's been fun and I've learned some of the basic concepts of RC in the month that I've owned it. Now I'm looking to expand out to something... faster. I've always been a fan of European rally racing, and more recently rallycross. This got me looking at R/C Rally cars, and to my surprise it seems that there are only a few 1/10 contenders, with what appears to be an extremely distinct stand-out:
The Tamiya XV-01. My problem is, this sets the bar to enter this type of R/C pretty steep - I'm guesstimating that I could be in around $600 to build up a decent XV-01 because even the special edition XV-01 chassis kit ($250) comes very incomplete, and has lots of RTR (ready-to-replace) parts.

So I guess my only question is: Is the XV-01 platform really the sole stand-out here to the point that buying something more accessible like the Maverick Strada RX brushless for $220 complete will end up being a total waste of $220 as it's non-upgrade-able?

Furthermore, why did Tamiya get rid of the XV-01 Pro chassis that needed way less replacement parts from the outset? And why are they the sole belt-driven option in a world of shaft driven 4WD? And why is it that every competitor to the XV-01 (other than perhaps the MST-XXX) uses a different scale which takes all the Tamiya-compatible bodies? It seems like there is no uniformity or standardization in this industry.

I suppose I'd just like to hear from the more seasoned RC rally / RC rallycross folks about how to start without potentially going down a very expensive dead end road. Since I've only been looking at rally models for a week it's quite possible that I'm missing a lot.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Welcome. Unfortunately rally never really caught on in the States. There are a few good rally cars, just not in 1/10. Tamiya seems to have that cornered. I’ve been close almost a dozen times to buying one. But continue to pass on it. If you do want info about the Tamiya, there’s a member here that got a number of them.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lo...rs-garage.html

I’m pretty sure he’s got s build thread specific for it. I’ll try to send him this way.

I’ve got the Kyosho, 2 Hpi WR8, both are 1/8. Thought the Hpi is very small for 1/8. And the discontinued Vaterra Kemora 1/14. Losi had a version of it year or two back. Didn’t sell, not sure if it’s still available

you be suprised by how well RTR’s can hold up. Of the 100+ vehicles I’ve owned, a large percentage are RTR.

bouldergti likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bouldergti
Hi All,
Brand new here, and pretty new to anything RC. Last month I bought the newish HPI Venture rock crawler as an introduction to RC. It's been fun and I've learned some of the basic concepts of RC in the month that I've owned it. Now I'm looking to expand out to something... faster. I've always been a fan of European rally racing, and more recently rallycross. This got me looking at R/C Rally cars, and to my surprise it seems that there are only a few 1/10 contenders, with what appears to be an extremely distinct stand-out:
The Tamiya XV-01. My problem is, this sets the bar to enter this type of R/C pretty steep - I'm guesstimating that I could be in around $600 to build up a decent XV-01 because even the special edition XV-01 chassis kit ($250) comes very incomplete, and has lots of RTR (ready-to-replace) parts.

So I guess my only question is: Is the XV-01 platform really the sole stand-out here to the point that buying something more accessible like the Maverick Strada RX brushless for $220 complete will end up being a total waste of $220 as it's non-upgrade-able?
I'm guessing the maverick isn't particularly good value for money as it is supposed to be a cheaper/entry level division of HPI, which is already fairly cheap in and of itself. So you can imagine how cheapskate it will be.

Furthermore, why did Tamiya get rid of the XV-01 Pro chassis that needed way less replacement parts from the outset?
I suspect the xv-01 platform wasn't quite the sales success it was supposed to be, Hence Tamiya dropping it early.(it costs them more to make a pro version)

And why are they the sole belt-driven option in a world of shaft driven 4WD?
Because Tamiya. No, seriously. I've come to the conclusion that Tamiya are drunken mad and off their face on ''interesting'' substances, all the time. Long time Tamiya owners/users will testify to their sometimes insane/illogical design/marketing/engineering decisions, that would never fly at other companies. That's NOT to say they are bad cars, they are excellent, in fact. Just weirdly designed. Anyway belts are much smoother drive.

And why is it that every competitor to the XV-01 (other than perhaps the MST-XXX) uses a different scale which takes all the Tamiya-compatible bodies? It seems like there is no uniformity or standardization in this industry.
This depends on the rc company/licensing agreements/requirements/ how they measure things and scale them and a million other annoying little details. Remember bodies are never perfectly scale, they are squashed /stretched in one dimension or the other to make all bodies fit between the same wheelbase/ overall length on a standardized rc car. Cars in real life vary in proportion and size. Rc cars do not.

I suppose I'd just like to hear from the more seasoned RC rally / RC rallycross folks about how to start without potentially going down a very expensive dead end road. Since I've only been looking at rally models for a week it's quite possible that I'm missing a lot.

Thanks!
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran TT01, TA02 and old TA05 as I did not want to buy an expensive rally car. Beat all XV01s. The TA02 is my favourite. This is with rally racing (where many cars run course for 5 minutes) and not where drivers run the course