• 1 Post By slodsm

radio set up, throttle EPA

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default radio set up, throttle EPA

I am using a sanwa mxv radio and have noticed that yesterday while lowering the throttle EPA for a motor getting hot my brakes went away and wheels spin at slow speed just sitting alone with no inputs
. This did not happen before the throttle change in EPA .
I figure I need to set the the throttle and brake EPAs to the highest level and then set my real points in the esc and even though its more troublesome my breaks will not be changing?
Besides the brakes this always makes the wheels turn forward or backward in s slow speed. What am I doing wrong here?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Not familiar with your radio, but what you're describing sounds like you might be adjusting the Dual Rate? If you adjust the Dual Rate, then that typically limits the range in both directions equally. I would try to find some sort of Sub-Trim menu option and limit the forward direction only which will leave the brake direction un-touched.

Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
I am using a sanwa mxv radio and have noticed that yesterday while lowering the throttle EPA for a motor getting hot my brakes went away and wheels spin at slow speed just sitting alone with no inputs
. This did not happen before the throttle change in EPA .
I figure I need to set the the throttle and brake EPAs to the highest level and then set my real points in the esc and even though its more troublesome my breaks will not be changing?
Besides the brakes this always makes the wheels turn forward or backward in s slow speed. What am I doing wrong here?
More than likely, the trigger was bumped forward (telling transmitter to select brake parameter) while lowering EPA forward throttle setting. Very easy to do if not watching closely. The same thing goes for your Throttle Trim switch. That was probably bumped as well, and would account for your wheel spin with no input from Tx's trigger. If your throttle trim is at "0"/neutral setting and you still have your wheels turning with no input from trigger, then I'd recalibrate ESC's throttle range.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. Also I forgot about recalibration the esc.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Yes if you change the EPA you need to recalibrate the ESC. The better way to do what you are trying to do here is with the dual-rates, and even better yet adjust gearing to keep the motor from overheating in the first place.
a1 likes this.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC Juice
Yes if you change the EPA you need to recalibrate the ESC. The better way to do what you are trying to do here is with the dual-rates, and even better yet adjust gearing to keep the motor from overheating in the first place.
thanks for the great info. I'll look into it. My gearing has been fine for 6 months. I added cvd's and took the dog bones out with no other changes and temp went up but that's a story for a different thread.
I'll find instructions tonight but should I max end points out on radio before calibrating the esc? Then as you say adjust with dual rates.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
thanks for the great info. I'll look into it. My gearing has been fine for 6 months. I added cvd's and took the dog bones out with no other changes and temp went up but that's a story for a different thread.
I'll find instructions tonight but should I max end points out on radio before calibrating the esc? Then as you say adjust with dual rates.
Yeah, not sure where you are but at least out here in CA with the heat this summer regular temps have been quite a bit higher than normal.
Yes, you should max out your EPA's before calibrating, and should always re-calibrate after making changes to EPA or throttle trim settings.
a1 likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you recalibrate your esc AFTER adjusting your endpoint it just resets max brake/throttle to the newly selected end point thus defeating what you just did.

Set trim to 0, throttle and brake to 100 and then calibrate transmitter/esc. Afterwards back down your end points to the desired spot. It won’t make a difference in the neutral setting at all, only max power.

A better way may be to simply take some endbell timing out of the motor or digital timing out of the esc if you’re doing tenth scale mod stuff.
a1 likes this.