Like Tree99Likes

Tekin Servos

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mickey_B

TLR 8ightX
I have to admit that's one I don't have on me. I'll pick one up and see.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also, the splines on these servos are horrible none of my aftermarket horns will fit on them. I have to hammer 🔨 the horn on and then they are impossible to take off. When I tried, I end up scratching the case really bad. Its so bad I don’t want to run them, which really sucks cause I like these servos.
In these, you are right. My HB servo horns were really tight. (all three of them) I didn't hammer them but in my case, it was a few light taps and push them the rest of the way with the screw. To get them off is with a lot of patience and just wiggle the horn and pull with my fingers or pliers. I prefer to scratch the horn rather than the servo case. But at the end is worth it. Servos are really smooth, fast and strong. I am surprised that I nailed a pipe so hard that snapped the screws of an ackerman plate but didn't strip or damaged the servo(T250) on an E buggy. That was my durability test. LOL
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Worth it?

So now that the servos have been out for a little while anybody have feedback on the performance? Are they worth the price tag?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kirk5443
So now that the servos have been out for a little while anybody have feedback on the performance? Are they worth the price tag?
Been running a t-180 low profile for the last few months in 2wd buggy. Very smooth and precise response, centers properly. Bought a t-190 for the wheeler.

They're a little pricey, but I haven't regretted the purchase.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by kirk5443
Determining if they are "worth it" is definitely case by case. Here's a short version:
I wouldn't skimp on other critical parts (radio or esc for example) or bust your budget to get a Tekin servo. However, if you want the most accurate servo money can buy, I haven't found anything better in 15 years.

Here's the long version:
To me they are worth it. When it comes to electronics I have always purchased for the long haul, so price doesn't concern me as much. I know I'll use them for 4+ years and then put them in my kids cars after that. At one point, I had a pair of Futaba BLS451 servos that were nearing 8 years of service.

The Tekin servos are definitely better than any other servos under $150, even without taking advantage of the programming options. I've had just about every brand of servo since I started racing, ranging from $20 to $200. It might seem obvious they should perform better because they cost more, but the point I want to convey is that I haven't found a servo with similar performance for less. You can definitely find servos that have the same specs for speed and torque, but the precision, consistency, and accuracy is unavailable in less expensive servos from my experience.

Comparing Tekin to other high end setups like the Furaba S.Bus servos, they are both extremely capable. I do like the Tekin interface more for programming over the S Bus.

After running Tekin servos exclusively since this past spring in various 8th and 10th scale vehicles, I've honestly noticed fewer mistakes and more consistent laptimes, especially in 1/10 buggies where precision is everything. Fast laps haven't changed, but my average lap times are noticeably closer to my fast lap. I had a $60 Savox servo in my B6 and a $200 Futaba servo in my B64 that were both replaced with T-180 low profile Tekin servos. The B6 was a massive improvement in consistency. The B64 wasn't as noticeable, but I went from a $200 full size servo to a less expensive shorty servo and it was better overall. You'll have to fight me to put any other servo back in my 10th scale vehicles.
dvaid852456 likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

I run a T120 low profile servo in both my Xray T4 cars. I was using a Savox previously which I never thought I had a problem with until I tried the Tekin. At first it took a little getting used to the speed of the Tekin, I'm using it at 7.4V BEC so it's turning 60 degrees in 0.05 sec.

Once I got used to the speed and the ability to change direction so quickly, I started to notice the accuracy and on carpet with my T4 '18 I was able to be more consistent compared to the Savox. It feels like a higher resolution of steering if that makes sense. More repeatable and accurate, if I made a mistake or clipped a barrier I knew I was going to before it happened as I made a steering input error. Like wise it is easier to correct small mistakes before they happen and therefore improve my average lap times.

Being in the UK and struggling to find Tekin products in stock, I bought both mine from the US. Even with the additional tax and import charges I think these servos are worth every penny.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I haven't received mine back from Tekin yet, but am probably still going to order another just out of curiosity and the fact I need another backup servo. They seem of good quality and am hopeful they can perform as well as my ancient RP servos.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

I haven't run it yet, but was able to fit a 25T Team Associated FT Servo horn to the T-120 with no trouble at all, just tightened the screw to pull the horn all the way on to the servo.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

any fitment issues with yokomo Servo horns?

in comparison to the futaba S9372SV or S9273SV servos, which servos appear to match the performance the best?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Gotta love these servos...
Especially when you get to scratch up the case trying to get the horn off!!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
any fitment issues with yokomo Servo horns?

in comparison to the futaba S9372SV or S9273SV servos, which servos appear to match the performance the best?

Yes there will be, great servo with nice programming, but you can tell these things are made in China with some submar materials.

Also the tabs on the side do not line up like other servos. There shorter than others and top case is really big that’s creating issues for me as well.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Yes there will be, great servo with nice programming, but you can tell these things are made in China with some submar materials.

Also the tabs on the side do not line up like other servos. There shorter than others and top case is really big that’s creating issues for me as well.

How can you tell that these servos are made in China with "submar" materials?
Can't you just add shims and spacers to fit the servo properly? Servos aren't all built to the same dimensions.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you can tell where something is built by just looking or touching it, you sir need a job doing so. That said, there are a ton of variations in servos; mounting holes, deck height, etc. There is no "one size fits all" dimension. What we can do is take this feedback and work on making changes to them for the future.
071crazy likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Any plans for a 1/12 servo? Petty sure I'm going to pick up a TS-120 for my TC.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
If you can tell where something is built by just looking or touching it, you sir need a job doing so. That said, there are a ton of variations in servos; mounting holes, deck height, etc. There is no "one size fits all" dimension. What we can do is take this feedback and work on making changes to them for the future.
Actually I just read the box,so yeah guess I’m really smart. Some of the other give aways were the aluminum and hard coating. The metal is really soft and if you barely touch the case it leaves a scratch.

Now its great that your open to feedback and willing to change future designs. However, that does not really help me for my current situation. Not really wanting to bash the product, but when you pay a large amount money for a high end product. You expect the fit, finish, and quality to follow or at the very least good support.

Intreasting story is I bought a of set of FOX shock bodies from AE. Could not get the end caps to screw on because the machining was not correct. So I called AE see if they would do anything. To my surprise the customer service rep was like that’s odd never heard of that. Tell you what, we will send you a new set with caps and bodies and return envelope for you to send back the bad ones. That way are engineering team can take a look at them. To my surprise, I was pretty amazed at the level of care and support. Nevertheless, might be one of the reasons why they are an industry leader in the rc scene.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.