Search
Like Tree40Likes

LapMonitor Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shuino
Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I just recently got the Lap Monitor here and I cannot figure out how to set a Race by a number of laps rather than time.

Am I just crazy, or is the only option just guessing a random time and letting it run?
There’s a lap setting. It’s come up here before. I’ll try to get a picture
Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
There’s a lap setting. It’s come up here before. I’ll try to get a picture
That would be much appreciated, I cannot seem to get rid of the "Heat duration in mn" no matter the "Heat type" I pick it seems.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:48 AM
Tech Prophet

That would be much appreciated, I cannot seem to get rid of the "Heat duration in mn" no matter the "Heat type" I pick it seems.
It is by time only. The previous post I was thinking off was trying to do 1 minute races.

I run 5 minute hears
Old 09-27-2021, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

It is by time only. The previous post I was thinking off was trying to do 1 minute races.

I run 5 minute hears
Wow, what a let down this thing as been. I honestly cannot believe a device exists to tracks laps but does not have an option to race by a set number of laps.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Wow, what a let down this thing as been. I honestly cannot believe a device exists to tracks laps but does not have an option to race by a set number of laps.
I don’t think any of them can do that. Since races are done by time. Not by laps.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I don’t think any of them can do that. Since races are done by time. Not by laps.
LapMonitor did actually answer directly through a FaceBook message, and it seems this will be a feature in a upcoming release.

I guess racing by only a set time on a circuit is an RC thing? That just seems extremely strange to me, but hey I am new to this.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Tech Prophet

LapMonitor did actually answer directly through a FaceBook message, and it seems this will be a feature in a upcoming release.

I guess racing by only a set time on a circuit is an RC thing? That just seems extremely strange to me, but hey I am new to this.
I should have suggested messaging them. He usually responds fairly quick. Depending on the time difference.

Considering the lap difference in some of the races I’ve done. To race to a certain number of laps would really cut the track time for the mid/back of pack drivers. In some I’ve seen a heat winner be 5 laps up over last place
Old 10-10-2021, 10:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Bought 6 or so transponders to loan out to people at the track, and embarrassed myself today as it would only read 1 lap for 1 of the transponders because the sun was out. Hell, it didn't read 1 lap, just the beginning of one lap for one vehicle.

Even when I moved the camera to the shade, pointing at a straight section of the track that was also in the shade, it still would not detect anything. Only once the sun was beginning to set did it start working.

Is this just the way it is? Seems like a terrible catch in the system if a device for the usually-outdoor activity of RC car racing is at odds with the sun.

All transponders were ziptied to the shock towers as there's no easy way to aim it through a body window without going to a lot of trouble to 3D print custom CAD'd brackets for each different vehicle, which nobody will bother to do for just a loaner transponder type of thing.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by cbh148
Bought 6 or so transponders to loan out to people at the track, and embarrassed myself today as it would only read 1 lap for 1 of the transponders because the sun was out. Hell, it didn't read 1 lap, just the beginning of one lap for one vehicle.

Even when I moved the camera to the shade, pointing at a straight section of the track that was also in the shade, it still would not detect anything. Only once the sun was beginning to set did it start working.

Is this just the way it is? Seems like a terrible catch in the system if a device for the usually-outdoor activity of RC car racing is at odds with the sun.
With the infrared beam. Sunlight can be a issue. Usually just moving the reader works. Some have put boxes around it.

Or an overhead timing bridge. That aims the reader down as vehicles pass under.
All transponders were ziptied to the shock towers as there's no easy way to aim it through a body window without going to a lot of trouble to 3D print custom CAD'd brackets for each different vehicle, which nobody will bother to do for just a loaner transponder type of thing.
try a timing bridge the vehicle pass under. Aim the reader down at the vehicles passing under.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbh148

​​​​​​Mine works great even if the sun is directly shining on the lap timer. Make sure the led on the transponder are pointing out towards the timer. Best location is by the window of the lexan. You don't necessarily need to 3d print a mount , you can just an excess piece of lexan and fold it into an L and screw it on the chassis or double sided tape it. Heres a video showing that it works under the sunlight
Old 10-24-2021, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

We used this system last year for our off-road track. Honestly it worked great for small club events.
We just updated this year to a MyLaps system.

If anyone needs a full set up shoot me a PM. We have used and new transponders also.

Lap Monitor Timing System and Transponders

Last edited by Manatarms25; 10-26-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Has anyone had the issue of the timer picking up cars as it goes behind it? I have a small dirt oval under a pole barn that I’m racing under and it keeps picking a car up from the back stretch or before it comes down the front.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The sensor in the monitor and transponder's are calibrated to work outdoors in full sunlight, so indoors you might be getting IR reflections of the walls that are strong enough for the sensor to pick up.

Try putting progressive layers of clear tape (maybe start with Scotch tape or similar?) over either the transponder's IR led bulb or the sensor port to dull the IR light's strength. Tune to affect? Let us know if it works!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Been using this system for fun at the house and training tool at the track. It has been my favorite tool/gadget all year since March. I don't think I'd leave for the track without it.

As far as picking up indoors it is very sensitive and will pickup reflections. I've been messing with placement and using an open cardboard box to place the receiver inside facing the open end has cut down a lot. Also set the minimum lap time in the app helps.
Billy Kelly likes this.

Last edited by 76jimmy; 12-27-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Info
Old 11-04-2022, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello
There is a new version of Android app available on the PlayStore
It brings a new exclusive feature of LapMonitor timing system: The PaceMaker mode
In this mode every lap the LapMonitor app will announce you the gap between PaceMaker target heat and your current run. So you can now in real time if your pace is good or not to achieve the PaceMaker forecast

Also new in this release:
- Race by Lap/time
- Built in history of all your session
- Best lap anouncement
- More statistics (3 concecutives,
- Edit lap (add/remove/ignore)
- Driver list support, you can create and edit drivers !
- auto reconnect working
- Many bug fixes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yfx.lapmonitor
76jimmy likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.