Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Car Via Wireless Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Lightbulb Listening to Car Via Wireless Audio?

I had a thought the other day about the possibility (it is possible, BTW) of listening to your car through a wireless low/zero latency audio transmission while racing or driving.

Others may be different, but I can drive a lot better when there are fewer cars running and I can hear my car. Of course I may just drive better alone too.

In a full size car I enjoy and believe that hearing the car helps me drive better. Same with a racing simulation video game, I usually turn the background music way down and the car sound up. Basically anything I do (machining, skateboarding, cycling, driving), I rely, or at least believe I rely, on hearing/sound to help me perform better.

Does anyone know if this has ever been tested in the R/C world? I imagine a huge advantage at a professional level. Even at my level, I can use all the help I can get.
Someone has to be on the same page here. If this is new territory I may forge it on my own, stay tuned.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definatly helps to be able to hear your car.Sometimes on practice days they would blast music over the PA.Not only was it annoying, but I also felt like I was driving handicapped.
Besides that I can run in large packs and have no problem hearing.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Most video transmitters for FPV racing can transmit audio as well. I'm not sure exactly how to wire it, or if it would like transmitting audio without video, but I think it could be done.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5191

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5172

Then you'd need some headphones. The VTx is quite easy to wire in.

Option: you now have the ability to wire in an FPV camera to view/ record as well.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or get this. Then you will hear your car or truck and it sounds real like shifting and revving your engine

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/sounds_and_lights/
Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by trigger
https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5191

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5172

Then you'd need some headphones. The VTx is quite easy to wire in.

Option: you now have the ability to wire in an FPV camera to view/ record as well.
Thank you!

This looks like the setup I'm thinking of, do you know if anyone uses such a thing for surface racing? Seems more beneficial than using it in the air... I don't know if I could justify a $100 dollar experiment when I am still using an entry level transmitter. I do want to try it though!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No racers will use FPV gear in their cars as it adds weight and misc wiring that may clutter things up. I personally use it for other applications like a rover/crawler but never for racing.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What sounds are most helpful from the car? I'd imagine you might be getting more information from the sounds of tires gripping (or sliding), rather than anything from inside the car. If you mount a microphone to the car you'll mostly pick up motor revs and gear noise. If you definitely want to go down this path, you may be better off trying a directional mic mounted to your transmitter.

I'd suggest just practicing with earphones in and music playing until you can drive without needing to listen to the car. Even if the microphone works well for you, you're then stuck using additional equipment that may not even be legal for racing.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mushroomed
What sounds are most helpful from the car?
Mostly being able to hear the motor/tires. I think I could probably put the two together even if i didn't hear much of the tires. I would be able to hear increased revs and see corresponding (or not) acceleration.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mushroomed
I'd suggest just practicing with earphones in and music playing until you can drive without needing to listen to the car. Even if the microphone works well for you, you're then stuck using additional equipment that may not even be legal for racing.
IIRC ROAR doesn't allow headphones or anything like that because it could be used for communicating with the driver. IFMAR allows it.