Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discharging at 30-40 Amps - Stand alone discharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Tech inspections can also include measurement of battery temperature before the run. If the battery is more than a couple of degrees over the ambient, it's disqualified.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
The algorithm of the icharger is superior to any other brand out there. This is why you use it for discharge and charging.
It's ability to balance a battery is unmatched.
icharger is very good but your statement is false. For the record I have an icharger as well as two other different brands of chargers.

Using other brands or non icharger models is a good method to puff and explode batteries.
Using a non suitable charger yes but there are dozens of suitable chargers other than ichargers which work perfectly. Again icharger is very good just not the only one.

Getting the battery hot with the icharger is a method to get it hot internally. Any other method, like a warmer wrapped around it is a great method to puff and explode a battery.
Again wrong, the only reason fast discharge/charging came aboutis battery warming plates were banned.

Most of the world has requirements for battery temp, one way to beat the system is with current to warm the cells without heating the case. ie battery will get passed tech inspection.

IMO warming plates worked better as you heated the entire battery including the case and the battery didn't loose as much temp and voltage when going through long tech inspection at events.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What is the realistic damage to the battery life , if any, by regularly discharging/charging at 40 amps? . Is there any benefits to the cells doing this? Thx
Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

It does shorten the battery life but there is no easy answer as to exactly how much. Ambient temp has a lot to do with it.

If you have a long wait for scruit you will loose temp and voltage. For events with long tech inspection I found 20A worked best.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DamianW
icharger is very good but your statement is false. For the record I have an icharger as well as two other different brands of chargers.

Using a non suitable charger yes but there are dozens of suitable chargers other than ichargers which work perfectly. Again icharger is very good just not the only one.

Again wrong, the only reason fast discharge/charging came aboutis battery warming plates were banned.

Most of the world has requirements for battery temp, one way to beat the system is with current to warm the cells without heating the case. ie battery will get passed tech inspection.

IMO warming plates worked better as you heated the entire battery including the case and the battery didn't loose as much temp and voltage when going through long tech inspection at events.

Cite please how I am incorrect.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAE
What is the realistic damage to the battery life , if any, by regularly discharging/charging at 40 amps? . Is there any benefits to the cells doing this? Thx
Couldn't tell you the life of cells. When I raced 17.5 seriously I ran a battery until it's IR started to deteriorate, then I'd sell it or give it away. Usually 2-3 months of racing 2-3 times a week.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by littleZEN
Because ROAR banned battery warmers.
Didn't at least one ROAR region just ban a whole lot more than that yesterday too?

http://www.insidelinerc.com/off-road...ules-charging/

Quick announcement to give racers the time to properly prepare.
For the 2016 ROAR 10th scale regional, we WILL be enforcing battery charging and discharging. For stock all stock classes (except Indy stock) their will be centralized charging stations for racers. This will be monitored by an official. All entrants for the spec classes must charge their batteries in this location. It will be the racers responsibility to place their batteries on charge and remove them.

FOR ALL CLASSES: Lipo sacks are a MUST
8.3.2.5.1 Li-poly battery packs must be charged with chargers capable of the industry standard
CC/CV (Constant Current/Constant Voltage) charge profile. No other charge profiles
are permitted.
8.3.2.5.2 Li-Poly battery maximum charge voltage.
1s Li-Poly batteries may be charged to a maximum of 4.20v.
2s Li-Poly batteries may be charged to a maximum of 8.40v.
3s Li-Poly batteries may be charged to a maximum of 12.6v
4s Li-poly batteries may be charged to a maximum of 16.80v.
2S LiFe batteries may be charged to a maximum of 7.40v.
There will be no allowances for overages.
8.3.2.5.3 Li-Poly battery maximum charge rate shall be 1C. C= charge amp rate. Charge amp
rate = mAh capacity/1000=XAmps.
mAh Capacity 1C
3200mAh 3.2A
3300mAh 3.3A
3400mAh 3.4A
3600mAh 3.6A
3800mAh 3.8A
4000mAh 4.0A
4200mAh 4.2A
4600mAh 4.6A
4800mAh 4.8A
5000mAh 5.0A
5200mAh 5.2A
8.3.2.5.4 Maximum temperature for a charged li-poly battery pack shall be ambient
temperature +/- 5 deg..
8.3.2.5.5 The use of heating devices of any type to heat a li-poly battery is strictly prohibited.
8.3.2.5.6 The use of cooling device and or freeze sprays of any type to cool a li-poly battery is
strictly prohibited.
8.3.2.5.7 Overcharging/Overheating is defined as but not limited to the following:
Charging of a li-poly battery with a charge profile other than CC/CV (i.e.
NiCad/NiMh)
Charging at a charge rate higher than 1C
Charged battery voltage exceeding the max charge voltage per 8.3.2.5.2,
Heating of the li-poly battery beyond the max. charged temp and or the use of
cooling devices to cool an overheated battery per 8.3.2.5.4., 8.3.2.5.5. and
Overcharging/Overheating will not be tolerated per section 5.13.10
Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ROAR also banned exterior temps above ambient temps, thus we charge and discharge at high amps to heat the INTERIOR of the battery

spec is always a loophole finding or flat out cheating game
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JayL
ROAR also banned exterior temps above ambient temps, thus we charge and discharge at high amps to heat the INTERIOR of the battery

spec is always a loophole finding or flat out cheating game
Funny how I got told I was wrong about why we want to heat internally, not externally...

JayL is right on the money. This is why - because those temp guns they use can't measure internal temp....only external.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by intercede007
Didn't at least one ROAR region just ban a whole lot more than that yesterday too?

Not really, they just announced they are going to actually enforce the existing rules that have been there for many years. Should be interesting.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

I had heard there will be a charger impound, similar to the old radio impound 20+ years ago. Should be very interesting.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Funny how I got told I was wrong about why we want to heat internally, not externally...

JayL is right on the money. This is why - because those temp guns they use can't measure internal temp....only external.
You need to read a little more carefully.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

some great information in here guys. what i charger is it you are using and what alternatives are there... also what power supply are you using for such high charge rates ???

Nathan
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niggs98
some great information in here guys. what i charger is it you are using and what alternatives are there... also what power supply are you using for such high charge rates ???

Nathan
I am using a modified server power supply. Unfortunately the one I bought for $25 has skyrocketed in price to around $60 making it hardly worth the time and effort to convert one yourself. It's a 1200 watt power supply, so it should be around 100 amps at 12v.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
Because there are few chargers besides the iCharger series that can discharge at that rate. Take a look at chargers available. Most are in the 5A range for discharge.
So my 4010 iCharger discharges at 40a. I've been wondering if I can use the charger to discharge batteries then instead of investing in a separate discharger? I was told recently that the reason why I wouldn't want to use the iCharger to discharge is to keep the charger safe. But I wondered if it's not safe to discharge at 40a with 4010 iCharger, why would the company make it like that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.