Wiki Posts
Search

Futuba vs Airtronics - Surface Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Futuba vs Airtronics - Surface Racing

Been using spektrum for several years now. I'm wanting to try a different radio system. I'm looking into the Futuba 4px and the Airtronics M12. What's everyone think? Thanks guys
Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

I would get airtronics top of the line models.
I don't care what people say, but m11x was said to be the "king of the radios" 3 years ago, at least in Asia area.
The m12 and m12s is only gonna be better than m11x.
i personally have a m11x, it is old, but it is hella fast and I think it can still be competitive for another 3 years easily.
Also, I love how airtronics feel in hand.

I did some research before purchasing my radio. I heard Futaba receivers have over heat issue, but never found anything about overheat for airtronics receivers.
So airtronics for me.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I been using airtronics mt4 and it's more than enough radio.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Look at the top 20-30 electric 1/10 touring car drivers. The absolutely most predominantly radio is the Sanwa/Airtronics M12/12s. And only a handful of them are sponsored.

I guess there is a reason for that.

I believe that the physical quality is better on the Futaba 4PX, the Sanwa/Airtronics feels cheaper and more flimsy in some areas, but it will hold up just as well, but if your priority is the fastest highest definition signal, nothing compares to a Sanwa/Airtronics M12/12S running with SSR compatible servo and esc.

If you do not care for minute differences in signal latency and definition, You should get whichever of the Futaba or Sanwa/Airtronics feels best for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Salkin
Look at the top 20-30 electric 1/10 touring car drivers. The absolutely most predominantly radio is the Sanwa/Airtronics M12/12s. And only a handful of them are sponsored.

I believe that the physical quality is better on the Futaba 4PX, the Sanwa/Airtronics feels cheaper and more flimsy in some areas, but it will hold up just as well, but if your priority is the fastest highest definition signal, nothing compares to a Sanwa/Airtronics M12/12S running with SSR compatible servo and esc.

If you do not care for minute differences in signal latency and definition, You should get whichever of the Futaba or Sanwa/Airtronics feels best for you.
Exactly the reason I'm going with the m12s, it's all about performance.
I have the m11x still a great radio which will go to my son. Airtronics all the way.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin

Can't base how good something is because of the size of the team! Because airtronics chooses to sponsor more drivers than futaba means absolutely nothing about the radio! That's like saying drive a kyosho cause they had the most cars at the worlds! Didn't even make podium! Actually the 2 manufacturers with the least amount of cars there finished 1st n 2nd!

I'm n the same boat right now! I currently use a m11x. Love it. But it's getting close to upgrade time......at the moment the m12 is just not comfortable in my hand. The 4px feels way better. But I have been told u don't feel as connected to the vehicle as m12.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tanner3x
Been using spektrum for several years now. I'm wanting to try a different radio system. I'm looking into the Futuba 4px and the Airtronics M12. What's everyone think? Thanks guys
You're buying just to try something new? If you're current radio is getting the job done I'd hold off a little while, starting with the DX6R it's probably going to be an interesting year on the radio front.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Go for it! You'll be so glad you upgraded from that spektrum. The M12s is an incredible radio and nothing comes close. You'll feel more connected than ever before. I agree with all of the other sentiments about the M12s above...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Top drivers do not get to choose what radio they run most of the time. They are all sponsered. If most drivers run sanwa/airtronics it's because they have a bigger budget for marketing.

Go to your LHS, pick up the futaba radio and airtronics. Go through the menu and see which one is easier to navigate, see which one fits your hand better.

At first I wanted to switch to the m12s. I tried it out at the shop and hated how it fits my hand and the balance is just off. Its a lot heavier as well. The 4px just feels more natural for me.

Is the m12s faster? Probably. But the 4pxr was just released. Would it matter for a club racer? I doubt you can even tell the difference.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

and take a look at the Receiver price tags.
here in Germany...
Futaba 4PX receiver R304SB about 52€ (59$ at amain)
Sanwa M12S receiver RX-472 about 125€ (99$ at amain)

how many receiver u need? sure...u cand bind cheaper receiver but then its slower and without telemtry
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

The 4PX and 4PLS have a framerate van 2.9ms, the latest Sanwa 2.23ms, you must have a very good feeling/response to detect the difference
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Does the M12 have an easier menu than the old M11 ?
I still have issues programming my M11 and I have been using it for 6 years. Something as easy as copying from one model memory to another makes me crazy. I still haven't figured out how to turn off ABS on my M11. I can program most others is seconds, but the M11 never does what I expect it to.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
Does the M12 have an easier menu than the old M11 ?
I still have issues programming my M11 and I have been using it for 6 years. Something as easy as copying from one model memory to another makes me crazy. I still haven't figured out how to turn off ABS on my M11. I can program most others is seconds, but the M11 never does what I expect it to.
Is m11 menu has a big difference from m11x?
My friend had a m12 (upgraded from m11x), he couldn't stand the menu and bought a m11x again. But he is old(compare to me), like in his mid 40s, so it might be hard for him to get used to new stuff.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:55 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mid 40's is old? being in my mid 40's I take offense to that! maybe we just have the experience to know when something needs more work in the design phase.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for all the replays. I'm looking into the m12. Thanks again for all the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.