Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree183Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Casper

I ran an entire night of practice and racing with 2 classes and dropped less than 40%. Not sure why you are not getting a full charge on the cradle but mine drops 1% or so powering on. Heck my phone basically does the same thing booting.

ok, were you using the craddle after each run? im not bitching one bit, sorry, i love my remote and havent had any issues to bitch about except for the craddle plug being finicky. it works awesome and was just curious why it wouldnt go 100% while i left the screen on to charge. again, sorry for sounding negative, def not the case, just merely asking!

thank you
Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I'm generating a hate-hate relationship with this radio.

Today when I was changing between models (racing 3 classes, so happened quite a bit) about 1/3 of the time it would start to change ("Spektrum" with the spinny thinking about it going on) it would give me a message to the extent that Raceware had to shut down and asking if I wanted to report it.

NOT handy when you're on a short time frame.

Any ideas?

Scott
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losishane
ok, were you using the craddle after each run? im not bitching one bit, sorry, i love my remote and havent had any issues to bitch about except for the craddle plug being finicky. it works awesome and was just curious why it wouldnt go 100% while i left the screen on to charge. again, sorry for sounding negative, def not the case, just merely asking!

thank you
The only time the charging stops for me is if I power off the radio. Someone noticed earlier that while the radio is charging, it's transmitting. Even if you power off the radio then throw it in the cradle, while it's charging, it's transmitting. For whatever reason, if my radio is on, I never achieve 100%. I suspect it has to do with the data transmission. Maybe it's using just enough power with android that it's not getting to 100%? Dunno.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losishane

thank you
Nope never put it on the cradle that day.

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'm generating a hate-hate relationship with this radio.

Today when I was changing between models (racing 3 classes, so happened quite a bit) about 1/3 of the time it would start to change ("Spektrum" with the spinny thinking about it going on) it would give me a message to the extent that Raceware had to shut down and asking if I wanted to report it.

NOT handy when you're on a short time frame.

Any ideas?

Scott
I recommend closing the raceware program when you are done with each race so it loads fresh each time you race. Similar to turning your more typical radio.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I recommend closing the raceware program when you are done with each race so it loads fresh each time you race. Similar to turning your more typical radio.
Dunno, I've been using Android phones for about eight years now and that's not something I'd have expected to need to do. Nor, I'd wager, do other users. Seems like an unnecessary step being added to the protocol.

Scott
Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Tech Prophet

It has to do with how the app talks to the radio. Being the app writes the settings for each model to the controller (which is not how any other android app works on your phone that I am aware of) this is an extra step with this radio that helps ensure the app communicates with the radio CP with the correct info. This extra step is really easy to do and does not require you turn off the radio. Just open the recent apps and swipe it close and open it back up when you load a new model for the next race.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

I don't believe they expect the OS to update on these radios but not 100% sure on that.
Yeah, I'm guessing this wasn't thought of.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

It has to do with how the app talks to the radio. Being the app writes the settings for each model to the controller (which is not how any other android app works on your phone that I am aware of) this is an extra step with this radio that helps ensure the app communicates with the radio CP with the correct info. This extra step is really easy to do and does not require you turn off the radio. Just open the recent apps and swipe it close and open it back up when you load a new model for the next race.
Yikes. I've never done this and I hope never to have to do this.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Tech Prophet

They thought of updates to the OS I am certain. The decision to not update the OS if they make it only affects other apps you would run on the device. Obviously they would continue to work to make sure the raceware is still supported on what ever version of the OS they choose to keep.

As for closing the app between runs. Not aways needed but if for some reason you start having issues with the radio not switching models properly this is an easy fix.

Last edited by Casper; 01-23-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So does anyone else's radio give off bad feedback in hearphones, or do I need to call support?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

They thought of updates to the OS I am certain. The decision to not update the OS if they make it only affects other apps you would run on the device. Obviously they would continue to work to make sure the raceware is still supported on what ever version of the OS they choose to keep.

As for closing the app between runs. Not aways needed but if for some reason you start having issues with the radio not switching models properly this is an easy fix.
It's a bad choice as OS updates frequently have good things in it. I think it was easier to go with no OS updates. Many phone manufacturers went this route but the thought is that phones are replaced every 2-3 years. I'd bet it was based on we don't want to get into the Android support business.

The issue now is any newer version should use a more recent OS and you'll have to manage 2 different code bases if you ever take advantage of any OS upgrades. I really do hope that smart radios are here to stay but either get more techies or open up the beta tester pool.

It's easy to say hindsight but I'm pretty sure I would have saved you guys a lot of grief.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:49 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Come on guys, not applying security updates on any network/Internet connected device is extremely dangerous, Mirai botnet was just a very simple reminder.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Tech Prophet

It is not that they will not allow updates to the OS for security patches but I doubt we see this go to Marshmallow or Nougat anytime soon.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Times, they are a changing.
I would guess you will not see a OS update until you see a newer hardware version. I'm just guessing, but I would imagine that they got these boards on the cheap (hence the plastic screen) and they are probably pretty old hardware (in today's standards). newer versions of the OS might be too straining for the current hardware. I'M NO expert, just my thoughts.

Early adopters are the new beta testers. Its way faster to release a product thats 90% to the public and work the bugs from there.
Frustrating for those that find the bugs but great for us all in the long run. (at least in terms of getting a product to market before the next big thing takes its place or before we are all to old to enjoy it.

When you buy technology like this, at least now a days, If you don't have the $500 to gamble on something that may be a POS, then its not something you should invest in. That is not something you are ever going to hear a Manufacturer say up front , and I would not blame them, but its the truth. The days of being able to trust that whats being released has been tested for 2 or 3 years to make sure that there are no hick ups when the product hits the market are over.

This thing is GREEN! its a lot of first for one release. I think its about time to be honest, but I'm not the one footing the R and D budget. I will be first in line for the air version. Thank the lord they did the surface first! Runaway airplanes would not be good.

I have not had any issues with mine and that has a lot to do with all of you who have had so many problems. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. It only gets better from here and you have had a lot to do with that.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl
is the servo speed adjustable with this radio? If so, how?
I have seen some other radios with adjustable servo speed features. Didn't see this adjustment in vehicle set up or in the instructions so just wondering.
Thanks
Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.