Search
Like Tree183Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I am not sure exactly what all you can assign to the knob but you can assign all sorts of features to the different switches and customize those for sure.

AS for the cable. I have use my windows computer to transfer files to the radio. Not sure if MAC hates android so much they won't communicate! LOL

I don't think I used the supplied cable though. I used one of the many other cables I have laying around that are micro USB for my phone and tablet. Not that the supplied cable will not work (don't know but don't see why not). I just used others I had around.
Pretty sure when using Macs with Android one needs Windows downloaded on their Mac.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So far love the radio, had issue with a feature asked a question,,,,, boom answered.

My next question is this. On other spektrum radios, when you bound a rec to a particular model number it would only work with that model. It doesn't seem to be the case now. I sometimes race multiple classes and forget to turn off my car sometimes,,,, it happens. Just would be nice to know that if I activated another car model, it's not gonna still run the previous model that is still on
Old 09-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Models should be paired only with that receiver. It was that way with the DX4R. I have not been able to control a car when the model is not correct with the DX6R so I would think this is still the case.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Ran my radio without putting it on the cradle. Ran 2 classes with 3 practice runs. Then 2 classes of 2 rounds of qualifying and mains. So 9 electric runs. Had to bind a new car so played with the radio in the pits some. Radio was only at 68% battery at the end of the night. Seems like more than reasonable battery life. A full night of club racing for just over 30% battery. Sounds like plenty for a day of nitro racing. I had wifi and bluetooth off all day as no reason to have it on for normal racing. Just an idea of what could be typical for a night at least what I experienced. Granted I am was racing indoor with power available since I had to charge batteries so no reason not to put it on the cradle between rounds and never have an issue.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I received my radio today and after spending some time with it, am a happy customer. I was even able to get to the track today and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was in my hands. The Race app was easily updated via Wifi and it was also nice to see the Tekin Hotwire app already installed on it.

I am still looking forward to seeing CAD files or different trigger styles available from Spektrum, but I like this trigger better than the adjustable one found on the DX4R.

The drop down ext for the wheel seems to be a bit long for my taste, maybe Spektrum would consider something half the distance in the future. The ability to rotate it 360° is pretty sweet along with the angled wheel adjustments!

Although I am only using two of the channels (off road) there are a ton of extra bells and whistles that I'm not sure what to do with quite yet. If anyone has any cool tips or tricks please share with the rest of us.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:48 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I have had to work every day the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to use the radio in proper conditions. But I have been able to demo it figuring out the new methods and features. I have set up a couple of vehicles and found out a couple of things.

This might help a few people- in the instructions it warns not to use a lot of steering sub-trim. It doesn't say how much is a lot though. On my SCT I ended up using a lot of sub-trim. The splines on the output, the splines on the servo horn and the geometry of the Tekno vehicle conspired to add a lot of sub-trim. This will cause problems. Whenever I switched models, the back to the SCT, the steering was always off by a lot. I figured out that if I went to the sub-trim setting, one touch of the trim would center it again. Was highly annoyed at first thinking I would have to do this every time. The resolution in chapter three.

While exploring the options to assign trimmer switches to different functions, I discovered that the Trimmer D is broken. If I assign that switch to anything, the radio will either buzz and beep constantly at me or do nothing at all.
I ended up calling Spektrum customer service. If you call, use the call back feature, they actually call back. A very courteous and helpful gentleman called back and we went over the problems. He said he had radio that had not been updated to the current firmware and he would call me back after he had a chance to investigate with the same process that I had used and call me back with his findings. After a very reasonable time frame, he called me back. He found nothing wrong and we discussed my issues further. We decided that the Trimmer D switch was broken and I needed to send the radio back for repair. . To Horizon's credit- he promptly sent a prepaid call tag. Not great that I have to send it back, but they are resolving the issue.

Why the centering issue?- it was caused by the excessive sub-trim. After adjusting the length of the link that attaches to the servo horn, reducing the sub-trim to almost zero- no more centering issues. For whatever reason the amount of sub-trim was causing it to loose centering ability. It would always center to same spot, but very far off. Excessive sub-trim starts at about 60-70. I was even more than that, but that is what the rep told me. What I would like to see is if excessive sub trim can cause problems and they even warn about it in the manual, why have so much adjustment available? Why not stop the adjustment at 60 or wherever the designers realize a problem could start?

I guess I am the victim of new product teething issues with the Trimmer switch. Oh well, s@*t happens. The true test of a company and customer service is how they handle problems and so far I am pleased with how this is being handled. Still very excited to use this radio in a race.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:16 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

and I found a bonus- I have a ProTek 170s servo in my truggy. With my DX3R Pro it was little noisy and sometimes twitch when on center. For some reason with this radio and a SR2000 receiver, the servo is quiet, smooth and twitch free.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Casper, thanks for the battery info. I am going to watch real closely this weekend when I race. I will respond back on this weekend.

I know with my testing, I am generally seeing 4-4.5 hours with screen active. The one thing I am seeing is not a proportional time with battery percentage. Under 50% the percentage drops off very quickly like from 50% to 15% within 1 hour. I have videos I have done on my last test I might post them.

mkl on wheel trimmer(s). I have seen if you tighten the 2 wheel bolts too tight the trimmers will not function or hold full on. Had to slightly back of the bolts. Don't know if that is your issue or not.

New question I have. In my home network I am using a 2.4 and a 5.8(n) setup. I am only seeing the 2.4, and this is not an issue, I kind of expected that way. But I am wondering if there is an issue in the firmware. No devices I my house do I have to get within 5-10 feet of my wireless router. Unless I do this the messages says obtaining ip address over and over. Note this is without race app open. With race app open I can never connect to wireless.

So my question based upon above is it possible the radio is trying to communicate to normal receivers and wireless together? And this is impacting range?

I just wanted to pass on some other info I finally took the time this weekend to change the angle and position of the wheel and trigger. I also used some Bondic to build up the back side of the trigger. Hands down the best feeling transmitter I have ever held. Very good job.

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 09-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl
This might help a few people- in the instructions it warns not to use a lot of steering sub-trim. It doesn't say how much is a lot though. On my SCT I ended up using a lot of sub-trim. The splines on the output, the splines on the servo horn and the geometry of the Tekno vehicle conspired to add a lot of sub-trim. This will cause problems. Whenever I switched models, the back to the SCT, the steering was always off by a lot. I figured out that if I went to the sub-trim setting, one touch of the trim would center it again. Was highly annoyed at first thinking I would have to do this every time. The resolution in chapter three.

While exploring the options to assign trimmer switches to different functions, I discovered that the Trimmer D is broken. If I assign that switch to anything, the radio will either buzz and beep constantly at me or do nothing at all.
I ended up calling Spektrum customer service. If you call, use the call back feature, they actually call back. A very courteous and helpful gentleman called back and we went over the problems. He said he had radio that had not been updated to the current firmware and he would call me back after he had a chance to investigate with the same process that I had used and call me back with his findings. After a very reasonable time frame, he called me back. He found nothing wrong and we discussed my issues further. We decided that the Trimmer D switch was broken and I needed to send the radio back for repair. . To Horizon's credit- he promptly sent a prepaid call tag. Not great that I have to send it back, but they are resolving the issue.

Why the centering issue?- it was caused by the excessive sub-trim. After adjusting the length of the link that attaches to the servo horn, reducing the sub-trim to almost zero- no more centering issues. For whatever reason the amount of sub-trim was causing it to loose centering ability. It would always center to same spot, but very far off. Excessive sub-trim starts at about 60-70. I was even more than that, but that is what the rep told me. What I would like to see is if excessive sub trim can cause problems and they even warn about it in the manual, why have so much adjustment available? Why not stop the adjustment at 60 or wherever the designers realize a problem could start?
I wonder if your trim was actually messing up your sub trim. Initially, I thought my D button wasn't working either but I realized it didn't change trim steps which is shown right above it. I needed to look at channel properties.

It makes no sense to me that subtrim could cause issues. It should allow me to center my servo horn. Using trim will take away from the end points.

Originally Posted by shagino
3. Trim using the on the fly buttons is confusing. Right above the on the fly button is trim steps. I was expecting that to change when using trim. I needed to look at Channel properties to see that the trim was actually changing.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

my trim was set at close to zero. I always use the sub trim to get the centering close then use the trim on the fly to make the vehicle go straight. If all goes well, I think both should be close to zero.
The weird thing about the D trimmer switch was the beeping the radio made no matter what vehicle was selected. If I assigned the steering trim to any other Trimmer switch the trim display would show the trim steps. Only if I assigned any function to the D switch, nothing would happen or the radio would beep.
I guess we will see what Spektrum says when I get it back.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was patiently waiting to get this radio, I guess I'll wait a little longer before I pull the trigger. Seems there might be a few bugs to work out. I would like to get my hands on one before I buy.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default question

Originally Posted by shagino
Check your LHS guys. Mines has it in already. In stock yesterday. Picking it up on Saturday.

It doesn't. The timer is just a countdown timer. The rolling lap timer appears to just be a repeating count down timer.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual-EN.pdf
Hacker 07 - Can you tell me how to get the speaker to call out the lap times on the speaker? I have mine, but can't seem to make it work.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl
So I have had to work every day the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to use the radio in proper conditions. But I have been able to demo it figuring out the new methods and features. I have set up a couple of vehicles and found out a couple of things.

I guess I am the victim of new product teething issues with the Trimmer switch. Oh well, s@*t happens. The true test of a company and customer service is how they handle problems and so far I am pleased with how this is being handled. Still very excited to use this radio in a race.
Did you already send this back? I can fix that remotely for you. Its not broken, an update didnt happen correctly. If you havent email me at [email protected] please. If you could email me either way so I can get with the technician, that would be great.

As for the sub-trim, that is a bug and we are working on that. We are finding that once you adjust the subtrim and say switch models and go back, you will notice the center point has changed. If you go to the sub trim and press just once and press back on either arrow to put it back to the same number, you will see on the monitor the center number jump back to where it should be. Its a bug and it will be squashed, haha. Sorry about this but wanted to let you know.

Originally Posted by ksheltontx
Casper, thanks for the battery info. I am going to watch real closely this weekend when I race. I will respond back on this weekend.

I know with my testing, I am generally seeing 4-4.5 hours with screen active. The one thing I am seeing is not a proportional time with battery percentage. Under 50% the percentage drops off very quickly like from 50% to 15% within 1 hour. I have videos I have done on my last test I might post them.

mkl on wheel trimmer(s). I have seen if you tighten the 2 wheel bolts too tight the trimmers will not function or hold full on. Had to slightly back of the bolts. Don't know if that is your issue or not.

New question I have. In my home network I am using a 2.4 and a 5.8(n) setup. I am only seeing the 2.4, and this is not an issue, I kind of expected that way. But I am wondering if there is an issue in the firmware. No devices I my house do I have to get within 5-10 feet of my wireless router. Unless I do this the messages says obtaining ip address over and over. Note this is without race app open. With race app open I can never connect to wireless.

So my question based upon above is it possible the radio is trying to communicate to normal receivers and wireless together? And this is impacting range?

I just wanted to pass on some other info I finally took the time this weekend to change the angle and position of the wheel and trigger. I also used some Bondic to build up the back side of the trigger. Hands down the best feeling transmitter I have ever held. Very good job.

Thank you,

Kevin
Kevin, the answer to your question is two fold. It is trying to connect to both at the same time as it is supposed to. What is happening is that the rf from the transmitter is overpowering the signal for the wifi. The 2 antennas are very close to one another. We are able to help with this if you send it in.

Last edited by hacker07; 09-14-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Issue downloading New firmware.

I am having an issue getting the new firmware to install on the DX6R. Once I registered I downloaded both the firmware and the new Race app. The race app installed easily. The firmware however won't install. It comes up with error message can't see device. I then try again and it just says updating.... And does nothing else. When I look at the sax file it says it is only 60 kb n size. I have tried downloading it several times and keep getting the same issue. Has anyone else seen this and if so, what am I doing wrong? I am no computer guru but 60 kb doesn't sound like a firmware upgrade.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by snidelee
I am having an issue getting the new firmware to install on the DX6R. Once I registered I downloaded both the firmware and the new Race app. The race app installed easily. The firmware however won't install. It comes up with error message can't see device. I then try again and it just says updating.... And does nothing else. When I look at the sax file it says it is only 60 kb n size. I have tried downloading it several times and keep getting the same issue. Has anyone else seen this and if so, what am I doing wrong? I am no computer guru but 60 kb doesn't sound like a firmware upgrade.
Try this
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14662104-post322.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.