Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin Hotwire - Android Tablet

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tubster
Im in need of some information for a Android tablet,
I run a Gen2 RX8 & RSX for a while now & normally use my laptop to use the Hotwire which is ok at home but not really practical at the track.
My phone & tablet run on windows 8.1RT so are no good for the hotwire, so I've been looking for a cheap Android tablet so i can take to the track.
I have been going through the threads in here but cant seem to find a definite answer to what works & what wont, & as i don't use Android its a bit confusing to what system i require.
So any information or links would be great.

Thanks Sean.
The real trick here is to buy a tablet that specifically says "OTG" in the description and even better, one that includes an OTG adapter in the package.
I'm using an off brand version of the Allwinner A90 from Bright-tab with Andriod 4.4 and it works well. OTG adapters come in 2 types. The cheapest one from micro center does NOT work. The ones from Stapes/Office max do. After much research, my best guess is that pins 4&5 on the micro connector need to be shorted to put the driver into "Host Mode", pin 4 being a host signal and pin 5 being ground.
There are vids on Youtube on that if you buy the wrong adapter.
All OTG adapters have to be bought mail order, even if the retailer shows it on their web page.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah I have an iPhone which I hope they make some app for it or something but I got a new android tablet for $80 shipped new. Check eBay for a used one like mine and scoop it for 35-45$