Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree160Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Not the big headlines here, but I had some more success with the Maclan motors. After getting a bit sorted on the rear end with my 2wd YZ2 DTM, managed to move up to 2nd from 7th in the amain, and took the overall win in 1/10 4wd buggy mod using a 13.5 maclan with no timing boost from the ESC against some fast 6.5 equipped 1/10 4wd buggies

For our conditions if I can get the gearing right, I am liking around 40 to 45 degree of timing for a bit more torque and cooler temps than the 50 degrees the 6amp method was showing. using a Sam's Rev meter based on a suggestion, its about a 2.5 - 2.9 setting.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Congrats on the positive performance Cain! I may try your timing suggestion this weekend since I should get a chance to have a full practice day I'll start off with what the Team Edition is set at and try the adjustment if I lack some punch.

Question regarding rotors! Recently an RPM Spec rotor (MCL4093) found its way into my shopping cart and I am really considering using it for either my 4wd 17.5 on-road or my 2wd 17.5 buggy. Both running team edition 17.5 motors. But I am not sure which platform that RPM rotor would be best suited for. Anyone with some tips on where it would be more beneficial?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Question regarding rotors! Recently an RPM Spec rotor (MCL4093) found its way into my shopping cart and I am really considering using it for either my 4wd 17.5 on-road or my 2wd 17.5 buggy. Both running team edition 17.5 motors. But I am not sure which platform that RPM rotor would be best suited for. Anyone with some tips on where it would be more beneficial?
RPM rotor is really more on road based, for tracks that keep rpm up all the time. You will lose a lot of acceleration with the less magnetic power. But it can gain some rpm if you can keep it up in the rpm band. If you were running modified, I would tell you that it would calm down the torque. You could try it in the touring car if the track layout doesn't have tight turns you need to accelerate. I would not recommend it for a 17.5 2wd buggy.

Nick
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nikos2002
RPM rotor is really more on road based, for tracks that keep rpm up all the time. You will lose a lot of acceleration with the less magnetic power. But it can gain some rpm if you can keep it up in the rpm band. If you were running modified, I would tell you that it would calm down the torque. You could try it in the touring car if the track layout doesn't have tight turns you need to accelerate. I would not recommend it for a 17.5 2wd buggy.

Nick
Thank you for the excellent explanation Nikos! I am tempted to try this in a mod application now since I'm not the type of guy to appreciate the intense acceleration of full mod motors. And it should do well with the most recent on road track layout I saw locally. I just never knew what was possible with these rotors.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

I had a really good practice day with my 17.5 Team Edition and MMax combo in a 2wd buggy. I was geared right around 5.9:1 and had a lot of room to go further as far as temps were concerned. But i didnt need to. It had plenty of torque for most of the jumps and seemed a good bit quicker than my old Schuurspeed spec motor. The ESC didn't break a sweat and the motor only hit 130 at its hottest after 10 minutes.

I DID get to try my other Mmax ESC and MRR 10.5 motor in a 4wd buggy. But my car setup was way off and I had to call it quits early for that vehicle. Nothing wrong with the electronics though granted my buggy was rocky at best the Mmax had no trouble powering the 10.5 motor even without the fan on. Would definitely buy again
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Esc

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting some Maclan products. I'm interested in some opinions and experiences.
Do the ESC's need a PC to update new software versions as they come out? Is , or will, that be able to be done through the programming card? How are the Pro 160 amp esc's compared to the other top brands on the market? From what I've read so far, I don't see many, or if any, complaints or problems that I see almost every day in the threads of other top companies. That why I'm thinking of changing brands. I'll continue to do the research on my own, but any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rgrg2
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting some Maclan products. I'm interested in some opinions and experiences.
Do the ESC's need a PC to update new software versions as they come out? Is , or will, that be able to be done through the programming card? How are the Pro 160 amp esc's compared to the other top brands on the market? From what I've read so far, I don't see many, or if any, complaints or problems that I see almost every day in the threads of other top companies. That why I'm thinking of changing brands. I'll continue to do the research on my own, but any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Apart from my mini review above, I give this ESC 9/10. Once it gets the full programming features, I can't see any other ESC being of better value imo. The HMX10 is just bonkers expensive. And the other option from ORCA, while really good from reviews, and reasonably priced, I don't think you get much good support in the U.S. for them.

As far as updating goes, I have not needed to update at all. I tend to avoid it unless I am having performance issues. So hopefully someone can chime in on the current best method for doing it. And I believe there is supposed to be an update coming from Nikos on here soon about the ESC or Maclan in general.

And for a comparison between others I've tried. My experience is limited with most current high powered 1/10 ESC's but having used the SMC RF170 and the older RF160, I can safely say the Maclan has easily been the best out of the three.
rgrg2 and Kyosho Joe like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Default Esc

Thanks Ebbtide!

Nikkos,
What type of computer does the prolink use to update the firmware on the speed control?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Tech Legend

the only "complaint" I have heard was that the ESC has a slightly (and the guy stressed this) bigger footprint than his last ESC. So just keep that in mind if you need some ultra small esc. But again, this is like all the guy had to say about that.

Maclan motors here are getting popular, I should have kept my mouth shut now lost my advantage lol ... Just Kidding
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

I am still waiting for the software.... for the ESC...
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Default Esc

If I had access to a PC, I'd love to get one of the ESC's. I like that I can update my firmware and settings with the Wifi Express on my Hobbywing stuff with my iPhone.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

We have not needed to update the software on the esc since it was released. Made sure it worked before we put it out!!!

When we do decided to put out an update. You will be able to plug the MMax straight into your computer with the micro USB, just like you do a cell phone.

Wish I could properly express how hard it is to create a computer/mobile application that will connect, talk, change parameters on an electronic speed control. Not as simple as one thinks..... it will come, but its a process. Mean time.. all changes are available and can be completed with ProLink very easily.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Tech Initiate

My 17.5 pulls almost 11 amps on my motor tester and around 30,000rpm tester and can read 48 of timing is that normal?
The but is
On the track its off the hook gearing is at 34-69 in a b6 pulls hard and rips on the straights temp stays around 130 never had a motor run like this
I tried to set it like other 17.5 at 5 or 6 amps but performance when to crap
Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ratititat
My 17.5 pulls almost 11 amps on my motor tester and around 30,000rpm tester and can read 48 of timing is that normal?
The but is
On the track its off the hook gearing is at 34-69 in a b6 pulls hard and rips on the straights temp stays around 130 never had a motor run like this
I tried to set it like other 17.5 at 5 or 6 amps but performance when to crap
I can't say those amps are normal but the performance definitely is in my experience. My team edition 17.5 feels phenomenal compared to my old favorite schuurspeed.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Tech Legend

what settings you going with EbbTide for Amp draw and what tool? Also, how do you have your motor configured?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.