Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree160Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
So a brand new company, just rehashing old products? What's the point? The new Maclan Diamondback esc appears to just be an extremely lightly redone Viper Copperhead esc. Can we just expect Maclan decals on the vtx10be's as "Maclan's race esc" as well?
Just because its got a metal case and its orange/black -- doesn't equal the same thing. When you actually look at the specs and how they are made, they are different.

For the other esc question, we're sorry to tell you that will be different also.

Last edited by nikos2002; 11-25-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Socket
Does the downfall of the Viper brand signify that the "give out 1,000 50% sponsorships" model doesn't work?
Sorry -- we aren't in that group of companies.

And yes to answer another post -- we were very lucky 90% of the team drivers who worked with us previously believed in our plans and our philosophy to stay with us the start a new brand from scratch. Loyalty is a wonderful thing.

We turn away quite a few resumes a year because we have a set number for our team, and don't have a lot of people leave our team.

Last edited by nikos2002; 11-25-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer1812
Anybody have the back story on the whole "replacing Viper" thing? Honestly that type of thing doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence. Not for me anyway.

They're "replacing" Viper, but they say they "don't copy other companies products". R/C people can be a fickle bunch. Company acquisitions and re branding tend to make people nervous in this industry.
What our company has been through in the last year would have shut down many other businesses. Instead, we did the honorable thing - sold out the products, honored eligible warranties, let it fade away. We actually started a process to build our company into a distribution model selling multiple brands of products with the ability to grow for the future.

While developing a brand new brand of electronics. Every product is different, every product has tested at an upgrade in performance, we can't wait for people to touch and use what we have been working on.

This is a new brand, a new name. With a lot of experience, a dedicated group of drivers. With the goal to bring new products, with high performance, at reasonable costs to everyone.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm still on-board. I'm still sporting Viper products in all my rides and pretty much believe in the way they were built. If many of the same employees are still with Maclan, I'll feel pretty comfortable with them.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good Luck Nick and company on your new adventure!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

yeah I am cool to see what comes down the pipe.

So nikos, what can you tell us then about the product line that is coming?

What are some of the features that you feel will be worth upgrading over what is currently being offered in the market?

Also, does Maclan plan to field motors that best what are the top 17.5 stock motors on a regular basis? Reason I ask is that it seems in stock you still have motor wars, just in the higher dollar ranges now, so curious what if any plans will be done by Maclan on that front.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

I've enjoyed running the Viper ESCs and Motors. Still running 3 10R ESCs and plan to until they fail. If the new Maclan stuff is on par with or better, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It's commendable that when Viper closed its doors, that the the team moved on to build something bigger and better. I can only imagine the effort involved to stay the course.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cain
yeah I am cool to see what comes down the pipe.

So nikos, what can you tell us then about the product line that is coming?

What are some of the features that you feel will be worth upgrading over what is currently being offered in the market?

Also, does Maclan plan to field motors that best what are the top 17.5 stock motors on a regular basis? Reason I ask is that it seems in stock you still have motor wars, just in the higher dollar ranges now, so curious what if any plans will be done by Maclan on that front.
We are working to have a complete line up of competition level 1/10 and 1/8 sensored speed controls. 1/10 Race motors will be out first, 4 pole 1/8 and 4wd SC motors are in testing to be completed. Our performances accessories - fans, wire, low resistance battery connectors are already available on or website.

As for 17.5. Oh yes, we have been working on that one. Funny how your whole motor line (stock and mod) depends on if your 17.5 is any good. BTW - we might have been quiet about it but in the last 10 months our motors have TQ'd and/or won Stock class races at Motorama, J Concepts Indoor National events (3 different events), Northwest Champs and more -- we just didn't have the brand to really promote it correctly. And the new ones are looking good.

Mod motors have already been run in National level A Mains at Horizon race last month, and won a couple regional races in Midwest.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

cool. How do the stockers do in 1S 1/12 racing?

I sure hope you guys target a 550 4 pole motor, not just a 540.

Also, will the escs have a "crawler" setting feature?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hmmm....I'm not sure why anyone is manufacturing 550 4 poles. Not only are they illegal but they are generally more than is necessary for most tracks and are harder than heck on the drivetrains and especially batteries. My 4 pole Viper is as good as I have felt so far along with the 4000 kV HW. I don't run on many full size 1/8 tracks but even if I did, I would opt for my kV as opposed to a bigger motor.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
I've enjoyed running the Viper ESCs and Motors. Still running 3 10R ESCs and plan to until they fail. If the new Maclan stuff is on par with or better, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It's commendable that when Viper closed its doors, that the the team moved on to build something bigger and better. I can only imagine the effort involved to stay the course.
Well said, I went Viper a while ago and it has been “set it and forget it” simple for me since then. I am running 4 setups. I gear a bit higher than average and still get a giggle when I hit my stuff with a temp gun. Temps have always been in an acceptable range and my batteries seem to stay potent. Backing up a good product is always a good plan.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
Couldn't agree with this any more! My Viper speedos are awesome, very smooth and easy to program. I've seen so many running cheap speedos have all sorts of issues and my Vipers just keep going, no fuss, no drama.
If the Maclan stuff looks good then I'd have no trouble in buying them.

Nick, good to see you and your colleagues are back!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Glad I just found this thread. I stayed on board with Nick and will be racing for Maclan Racing. I will be the go to 17.5 guy having taking a podium finish many times in the 17.5 class at Motorama as well as at many other races.

I know that the big boss behind Maclan will not settle for anything less than the best. They could have just put a sticker on one of many other brands that make products for re-branding and been back on the scene 6 months ago. Team drivers have been racing and punishing the products to make sure they will be the best. Stay tuned for some real nice stuff.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (98%+)

what i heard was they comming out with new stuff but reason was had to change name due to different company having same name.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

so just to clarify...

new company, new products, same people (engineers, promo guys like nikos, drivers, financial backers)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.