Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Motor Setup Boost or No Boost >

Motor Setup Boost or No Boost

Motor Setup Boost or No Boost

Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Motor Setup Boost or No Boost

If an 8.5 motor can make the same power as a 7.5 when boosted, is this better? I am thinking of dropping the 7.5 which is too much for me boosted, and going back to the 8.5 boosted. What is the thinking on this, is a boosted motor better for track times because it can be better controlled. 7.5 non boosted V.S. 8.5 boosted? This is for a 4x4 buggy.(^^^).
Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I feel, at least 2wd buggy a boosted 10.5 runs even with a 8.5
Seems to be a matter of preference. Running boosted adds a level of complication because you may have to adjust for the track beyond gearing. A tighter track probably favors the torque of a lower wind motor.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

On the radio I am using 60% power for a 7.5, whereas for an 8.5, I am using 80% power. I find the more radio % the smoother it seems to be. I really prefer something in the 120% range on the radio for power, as I got use to that in stock spec.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oh, I thought you meant ESC boosting not adjusting your radio throw.

All you are doing there is limiting your max throttle.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Actually both. I just don't like the low % on the radio. A friend I race with runs his at 150% all the time, I just can't do that, but he is a great driver as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I (just recently) have a Speed Passion Reventon R and 8.5 turn SP v3.0 motor combo.

I'm running max boost but 7.5 timing advance on the ESC side. There's also a physical timing advance option on the motor side (0 and 10 I think on these) that's set at the default 0.

Even having set that full boost (or at least full “Digital Racing Response System – DRRS3.0”), the thing is strongly outrun by a GTB and Novak blue/purple 6.5 (my model numero 2)

I think I get amazing run times though, and I like the software and the craftsmanship of the Reventon R, so no problems there. I think the speed is quite manageable and a good way in to the sport if you're still unsure what motor / esc combo to use for 2wd buggy bashing or racing.

Bear in mind if you are looking to use motor or esc timing advance you should keep your temps lower than those that might weaken the motor magnets. Low timing changes should be just fine!