Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Looking for a new charger set up. Mainly for 4S >

Looking for a new charger set up. Mainly for 4S

Looking for a new charger set up. Mainly for 4S

Old 03-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Looking for a new charger set up. Mainly for 4S

Like the title says. I'm looking for a new charging set up. I'm currently using two Vemon Pro-Chargers. Kind of a pain having two chargers and power supplies to carry around. Plus all the wires are annoying.

I would like something powerful enough to charge two 6000-6500mah 4S lipos at the same time. I never charge at more than 1C

Now the kicker. If possible I'd like to not need a separate power supply.

I've been looking at the Orion Touch Duo. I like how compact it is. I'm not sure if it will have the power I need though. I can't remember the formula to work it out.

If I need a set up with separate PS, then I'll have no choice.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So you want to charge at 6amps per battery(cant remember the formula myself but I believe its divide mah by 1000?? so 3400 mah would be 3.4amps. 6000mah would be 6amps)? Most chargers will do that, I think the orion will do 10a? Cant remember. I have the Hitec X4 and love it. I know it does 4 batteries but I like be able to charge other peoples stuff if need be.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Orion touch duo is a fantastic charger if your not concerned with charging at higher amps. Its 100watt per channel so should get you very close to your 1c charge rates on your 4s packs.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the Orion Touch Duo and it is a nice charger for what it is and what it cost. It will do right at 1C with my 4s packs. Discharge is slow because of the 100W max power. I am building a dedicated discharger for my packs so I can speed that process. But overall it does a nice job.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The touch duo will do 6A no problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

6A is right at the limit on a 4S for that charger....no room at all for any bigger lipo's or faster charge rates. For $250 USD, I guess you're paying for dual capability, touch screen and the name.

Not sure why you need to charge both 4S at the same time but a single DC charger like the Revolectrix PL6 is a much more powerful and advanced charger that would give you better value for your money. A 2 or even 3C charge rate is easily done and there's isn't any good reason why you couldn't do so.

Add an inexpensive PSU from feathermerchants.com and you're just a little above what you would spend on that 100W charger from Orion. And down the road, you'll be happier you did so.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 Revolectrix PL6

I have used mine for a couple years now...I charge 4 5000mah 4S batteries with on a parallel Charge board at 4C

no issuses...batteries just sing.

of course you need a bigger PS....but just one. I bought one of the dell server PS you find for sale on these forums. Works great!