Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
speed control to motor combo >

speed control to motor combo

speed control to motor combo

Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default speed control to motor combo

Can you run a Fuze sensorless speed control with a sensored Tekin 1700kv motor? I am running this combo with a 4 cell and a 17 pinion and I can't get over 20mph with everything set on high on the speed control. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What vehicle you running?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by htnttf1
Can you run a Fuze sensorless speed control with a sensored Tekin 1700kv motor? I am running this combo with a 4 cell and a 17 pinion and I can't get over 20mph with everything set on high on the speed control. What am I doing wrong?
That tekin is a sensored motor. In order to run that motor your ESC must be sensored. Dynamite Fuse 130amp ? is not sensored... EXAMPLE..... I run an rx8 gen 2.... it will run both sensored and sensorless... without the sensor wire the esc and moto rotor wont read each other kina sorta......its like missing a piece of the puzzle....
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bob.less
That tekin is a sensored motor. In order to run that motor your ESC must be sensored.
Thats funny cuz I've read and even seen guys running Tekin motors with Castle ESC's and as we all know, they're not sensored. So maybe you wanna re-think your reply.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Thats funny cuz I've read and even seen guys running Tekin motors with Castle ESC's and as we all know, they're not sensored. So maybe you wanna re-think your reply.
The A, B,and C wires are all the same It should work... but ....it wont work as intended....Ive never tried it ...... sensored ESC.... sensored motor ..... he has an unsensored ESC ....run an unsensored motor or spend the coin and upgrade your ESC.....
Old 03-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

FYI..... there is a thread on this in Lg scale oval...... brushless question....
Old 03-12-2015, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

I've run a sensored 1900Kv Trackstar on an unsensored 150Amp HW with no issues at all. From what I was told on a thread here, the motor defaults back to a base 0 degree timing without sensor input. Either this truck is massively geared wrong or maybe the motor endbell timing has been changed. Granted I don't know Tekin, but I can't imagine their any different than most others on timing and sensorless operation.

I'm really curious to see what this ends up being.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure that a sensored motor can run in un-sensored mode but a sensored ESC may or may not support sensorless operation. The motor doesn't care if the sensor is hooked up or not. I'd put money on it that there's something else going on. Calibration issue maybe?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

but a sensored ESC may or may not support sensorless operation
I was just reading through some old threads here and I think you're on it Wildman. I wonder if the OP can go into the esc and turn off sensored mode?

But wait, he said the esc is unsensored? Ugh. Maybe it's a pole issue, a 4 pole motor on an esc that only supports 2 pole?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm running an Ofna late model oval dirt as they put it
Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there something I can do about the poles on it?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

He didnt say what fuze ESC... I was assumeing it the 130 amp Im not sure what it supports 4 or6 pole
Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

I do know that if I pull my sensor wire of my LRP it wont run....
Old 03-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Not much you can do about the poles. But from what I have read on that issue is, the sensored motor on an unsensored esc may not start unless you spin the rotor manually to start it. Then it will run until it is stopped, then you have to spin it again to restart it. I'm no expert, but I believe the sensor in the motor is what tells the esc what position the rotor is at. I guess as one field collapses, it signals the esc to start energizing the next set of field windings.

When the esc can't control or "know" where the rotor is, it can cause cogging/ stuttering on start up. That's why sensored setups are smoother on start up and off the line, than non sensored ones.

Probably at this point, I would find some sensored esc in the classified and try that. I would guess a 120 amp or so, would work for this?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spookie
Not much you can do about the poles. But from what I have read on that issue is, the sensored motor on an unsensored esc may not start unless you spin the rotor manually to start it. Then it will run until it is stopped, then you have to spin it again to restart it. I'm no expert, but I believe the sensor in the motor is what tells the esc what position the rotor is at. I guess as one field collapses, it signals the esc to start energizing the next set of field windings.

When the esc can't control or "know" where the rotor is, it can cause cogging/ stuttering on start up. That's why sensored setups are smoother on start up and off the line, than non sensored ones.

Probably at this point, I would find some sensored esc in the classified and try that. I would guess a 120 amp or so, would work for this?
Thats what I was saying in post #3

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.