Search
Like Tree96Likes

iCharger 406 DUO Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
If this is true, i dont get why icharger even bothered with the 456duo. According to the specs, the 456 and 458 are basically identical charger, even down to max charge power/current. The only difference is 6s or 8s charging. At least with the 406 and 308, theres a huge difference in charging current (40A vs 30A) between the 2, but now they just have the same 45amp for both, I really dont see why anyone would buy the 456 over the 458.
This is some sort of leaked page. It may be accurate, or it may not be. Who knows, gotta wait for real specs whenever they are released.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

If this is true, i dont get why icharger even bothered with the 456duo. According to the specs, the 456 and 458 are basically identical charger, even down to max charge power/current. The only difference is 6s or 8s charging. At least with the 406 and 308, theres a huge difference in charging current (40A vs 30A) between the 2, but now they just have the same 45amp for both, I really dont see why anyone would buy the 456 over the 458.
Pricing would be a reason… If I can’t see myself charging more than 6 cells in the future, why would I pay more for the 8 cells version of the charger?

Martin Paradis
gigaplex and Slashripper like this.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Hadn't seen, or heard of, them until you posted those links. Looks "interesting"...but, I'd be willing to bet not as many will be sold when compared to the 308/406Duos. XT60 is probably the most commonly-used connector these days...but, for all the other connector types, XT60-to-??? charging cables cost more than banana plug charging cables. Using my battery collection as an example, I'd need 2 of each of XT90, EC2, EC3, EC5, Deans, QS8, and 7mm bullet (of which I'd need 2 reach of two different variants). As charging cables with 4mm banana connectors tend to cost $2-3 less (or more...and, that's per cable) than those with XT60 connectors, getting banana connector charging cables is a savings (for me) of at least $32-48. In other words, the 308Duo & 406Duo are, both, still the better value, and, thus, the 'smarter' choice.
Yeah that's why I purchased another 406 Duo as a spare - I have zero interest in investing in a new bunch of charging leads, and I don't know if another iCharger is compatible with my RC Discharger regenerative setup, which is why I didn't bother with the DX8.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:48 AM
Tech Champion

456 is cheaper, so no need to pay extra if you know you'll never need more than 6S.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Losiho
Yeah that's why I purchased another 406 Duo as a spare - I have zero interest in investing in a new bunch of charging leads, and I don't know if another iCharger is compatible with my RC Discharger regenerative setup, which is why I didn't bother with the DX8.
It's not hard to buy a bulk pack of XT60 plugs off eBay and soldering them onto your existing charge leads.
Bicycle019 likes this.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There are also adaptors that allow you to plug your 4mm bullets into xt60.
gigaplex and Slashripper like this.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

The iCharger 456DUO & 458DUO are now available from multiple retailers...and, by available, I mean "in-stock", and not "pre-order"...however, I can find no information on Junsi's website. I have nothing negative to say about the iChargers, as I believe they are among the best chargers currently available...but, I don't believe the original company exists. In fact, in going to the Jun-Si Electronics website, the most recent product they have listed is the 308DUO.

Best I can tell, it appears that the original Jun-Si Electronics might have gone out of business around 2007-08...so, I suspect that some other company bought up the remains of Jun-Si, and have been building products under the Junsi name since then...or, to be more accurate, until 2021 at which point I believe that company (Hill RC) might have also gone out of business, with the assets being sold to another company. In looking at the bottom of my 406DUO (purchased 4-5 years ago), the very non-informative sticker has, in the lower-left corner, "www.hillrc.com" printed on the sticker...but, searching for that URL, it comes up with a Chinese-only website, showing the exact same products (again, 308DUO being the newest product), with the only difference being a 2011-2021 date at the bottom of the page. That's why I suspect Hill RC may have folded, with assets going to another company. If so, then that's who we have to (cough, cough) 'thank' for the products that have been released since 2021. That would, obviously, include the very "strange" release of two almost-identical products, as well as the (incomprehensible) reasoning for going with an unusual battery connector (XT90) for said chargers. Not that it really matters (as I won't be buying either of them...I'm perfectly happy with my 406DUO), but, I am curious as to who the 'actual' current manufacturer of Junsi chargers is. If anyone purchases either of these two chargers...and, if the bottom sticker has any info related to the actual manufacturer...please, post it here, as I'm guessing there might be some others interested in knowing this.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:52 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
The iCharger 456DUO & 458DUO are now available from multiple retailers...and, by available, I mean "in-stock", and not "pre-order"...however, I can find no information on Junsi's website. I have nothing negative to say about the iChargers, as I believe they are among the best chargers currently available...but, I don't believe the original company exists. In fact, in going to the Jun-Si Electronics website, the most recent product they have listed is the 308DUO.

Best I can tell, it appears that the original Jun-Si Electronics might have gone out of business around 2007-08...so, I suspect that some other company bought up the remains of Jun-Si, and have been building products under the Junsi name since then...or, to be more accurate, until 2021 at which point I believe that company (Hill RC) might have also gone out of business, with the assets being sold to another company. In looking at the bottom of my 406DUO (purchased 4-5 years ago), the very non-informative sticker has, in the lower-left corner, "www.hillrc.com" printed on the sticker...but, searching for that URL, it comes up with a Chinese-only website, showing the exact same products (again, 308DUO being the newest product), with the only difference being a 2011-2021 date at the bottom of the page. That's why I suspect Hill RC may have folded, with assets going to another company. If so, then that's who we have to (cough, cough) 'thank' for the products that have been released since 2021. That would, obviously, include the very "strange" release of two almost-identical products, as well as the (incomprehensible) reasoning for going with an unusual battery connector (XT90) for said chargers. Not that it really matters (as I won't be buying either of them...I'm perfectly happy with my 406DUO), but, I am curious as to who the 'actual' current manufacturer of Junsi chargers is. If anyone purchases either of these two chargers...and, if the bottom sticker has any info related to the actual manufacturer...please, post it here, as I'm guessing there might be some others interested in knowing this.
I have 5 in my shop for sale. They still sale Junsi on them. Which Junsi is owned by Hillrc I believe as that is on the box as well. Neither of their sites are updated but in my contacts email it list junsi and hillrc as companies for contact.

EA
Panther6834 likes this.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I have a question. I replaced the fets that were broken in my i-charger 406 DUO. Now I can charge with 20A but when I want to charge it at 40A they always break again. I have already measured the resistors and they are fine. does anyone know what's going wrong and how I fix it

Last edited by Veraghtert D; 03-29-2024 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fout in tekst
Old 03-29-2024, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Veraghtert D
Hi, I have a question. I replaced the fets that were broken in my i-charger 406 DUO. Now I can charge with 20A but when I want to charge it at 40A they always break again. I have already measured the resistors and they are fine. does anyone know what's going wrong and how I fix it
Maybe you used the wrong FETs?
Old 03-30-2024, 01:12 AM
Tech Rookie

i used de 3205

Last edited by Veraghtert D; 03-30-2024 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Veraghtert D
There is an extremely easy fix. Don't charge at 40 amps.
gigaplex and hunterdawg like this.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've used the 3306 FETs. Those are the ones recommended by Nick Adams on his Youtube repair videos.

Also possible that you're not getting a good thermal connection with the heat sink.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Looking for a travel power supply. What is a small power supply to use with a 406Duo that would work to charge/discharge 2S batteries at a max of 3 amps.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RussF
Looking for a travel power supply. What is a small power supply to use with a 406Duo that would work to charge/discharge 2S batteries at a max of 3 amps.
Are you sure you only want to charge at 3A? 406 Duo is pretty big to bundle with a small PSU for such a low charge rate, I'd recommend just getting a small AC charger instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.