Search
Like Tree3Likes

Turnigy TrackStar ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Coelacanth
"Anyone...anyone...?"

I have another question about this ESC, I received it and installed it last night, but until I get a sensored motor, I can't calibrate or program it.

How do you enter manual programming mode on these? They're a bit different than other Hobbywing/EZRun ESCs in that the power button is integrated, and the included instructions make no mention of manual programming, whatsoever. All it says is to use program card or connect to a PC, and the basic calibration method.

I did find the following image on another forum; the program card looks practically identical to my Leopard Toro's program card. I'll compare the image with the Leopard card tonight, but the options look identical...the only difference being the name and color.

Still, I've read that you have additional options when manually programming, and it appears Tx acceleration = yes, Tx reverse = no...but I'm not sure how to enter manual programming mode. Anyone?
I'm not sure what you mean by manual programming mode. These ESCs do not have a one-button programming mode and must be programmed by the card.

Going to assume that you mean endpoint calibration mode-- This ESC is different from the Trackstar Turbo 120A Gen 1 in that there is no button that apparently engages endpoint configuration mode. I've never owned one before. The first thing I would try would be holding the power button down as the ESC boots up, watching for any change in LED activity. I believe the order was Neutral, Throttle, and then Brake, on my 120A Gen 1s.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Christophoclese
I'm not sure what you mean by manual programming mode. These ESCs do not have a one-button programming mode and must be programmed by the card.
Every knockoff ESC I own...EZRuns, Bullistorm 60A, Leopard Toro 60A...all can be programmed manually. This isn't referring to the basic calibration procedure, this is the ability to program all of the features like punch, brake options, reverse options, etc. through transmitter trigger presses and listening through a series of beeps. The program cards just give you a more user-friendly series of lights and printouts on the card to indicate this programming. With all my other ESCs, you can go into "Program Mode" by holding your Tx throttle or something while plugging in a battery & turning on your ESC, and waiting for a tone to indicate you've activated "Program Mode".

I imagine this ESC is no different, as the program card itself is almost identical to the card I got with my Leopard Toro 60A ESC/12T motor combo.

Hasn't anybody programmed their Trackstar ESC manually?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Every knockoff ESC I own...EZRuns, Bullistorm 60A, Leopard Toro 60A...all can be programmed manually. This isn't referring to the basic calibration procedure, this is the ability to program all of the features like punch, brake options, reverse options, etc. through transmitter trigger presses and listening through a series of beeps. The program cards just give you a more user-friendly series of lights and printouts on the card to indicate this programming. With all my other ESCs, you can go into "Program Mode" by holding your Tx throttle or something while plugging in a battery & turning on your ESC, and waiting for a tone to indicate you've activated "Program Mode".

I imagine this ESC is no different, as the program card itself is almost identical to the card I got with my Leopard Toro 60A ESC/12T motor combo.

you need a card to program the esc
Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah...these don't. At least not the X-Car I owned, nor the 120A Gen 1 (and I haven't seen anything to indicate most do on the store pages). The only thing you can do without the appropriate programming card, is set your endpoints.

If there is some backdoor way of activating a one-touch mode, I didn't catch it in the product reviews and comments I looked over. If it exists I'd be happy to know about it

In the comments on the International Warehouse version of your ESC one of the users said "use skylink Model SK-600013( £6) with tunigy software from the files tab" as an alternative to the HobbyKing programming system.

Not sure if you have a local hobby shop that will let you sell items in a used case, but if you don't like it chances are you'll get most of your money back selling it used. I've seen some HobbyKing gear in the local case disappear while priced over retail
Old 03-21-2015, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I initially had a helluva time trying to just calibrate the throttle neutral/forward/reverse points, the ESC would power up but at the first press of the switch, the light would turn off. This is with a FlySky GT3B transmitter. I wasn't getting anywhere. Then, I noticed Dual Rate was set to zero for this new model on channel two, and it should be set to 100% for car throttle. Once I did that, calibrating the throttle points was a breeze.

I tried everything I could think of to go into program mode, from various sites I researched on the 'net, including other Trackstar ESC documentation, but it was a no-go. Holding the throttle on full while powering up the ESC *did* make the green LED flash, but there were no beeps or anything else to indicate manual programming was possible.

I also tried my Bullistorm program card, but it didn't even light up. My Leopard Toro 60A program card DID light up a single red LED for LiPo auto-cutoff, but nothing I did would allow me to cycle through options or change anything; other than lighting up the first red LED on the card, it was unresponsive.

Since this Trackstar unit can ONLY be programmed with a card, I think it sucks that it's sold without one. I could understand it being optional if the unit can be programmed manually, but if it's a required component, it should be included in the box.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Boosted 17.5

Can someone post a setup for 17.5 boosted? I'm just looking for a starting point.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default How do I set the throttle, brake ect..

Ok, I have a few questions. What is the correct procedure for hooking up plug to hobbyking program box? Do I unplug the wire from the receiver before I turn on the car? Or do I turn on the car then take wire out and plug into the program box? Also, what is the correct way to put back when finished? Do I leave car on and take plug out of program box then put back into the receiver, or do I leave it in the program box, turn off car, then plug back int receiver after car is off? Sorry, never actually owned an esc that you could change timing/add boost ect...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Blues Hockey; 03-25-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I initially had a helluva time trying to just calibrate the throttle neutral/forward/reverse points, the ESC would power up but at the first press of the switch, the light would turn off. This is with a FlySky GT3B transmitter. I wasn't getting anywhere. Then, I noticed Dual Rate was set to zero for this new model on channel two, and it should be set to 100% for car throttle. Once I did that, calibrating the throttle points was a breeze.

I tried everything I could think of to go into program mode, from various sites I researched on the 'net, including other Trackstar ESC documentation, but it was a no-go. Holding the throttle on full while powering up the ESC *did* make the green LED flash, but there were no beeps or anything else to indicate manual programming was possible.

I also tried my Bullistorm program card, but it didn't even light up. My Leopard Toro 60A program card DID light up a single red LED for LiPo auto-cutoff, but nothing I did would allow me to cycle through options or change anything; other than lighting up the first red LED on the card, it was unresponsive.

Since this Trackstar unit can ONLY be programmed with a card, I think it sucks that it's sold without one. I could understand it being optional if the unit can be programmed manually, but if it's a required component, it should be included in the box.
id be honest i like when they don't come with it. I mainly run speed passion. (eventually want a trakstar) and every esc comes with the basic programming box. i had bought there better lcd one. so i have 5 boxes lying around, and you only need one to program them all. Saves in packaging for when you buy more esc's and not waste money and space with boxes each time. if they have it as an option might just make packaging and employees forgetting. or have two storage spaces. 1 for with card, and one for without.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Blues Hockey
Ok, I have a few questions. What is the correct procedure for hooking up plug to hobbyking program box? Do I unplug the wire from the receiver before I turn on the car? Or do I turn on the car then take wire out and plug into the program box? Also, what is the correct way to put back when finished? Do I leave car on and take plug out of program box then put back into the receiver, or do I leave it in the program box, turn off car, then plug back int receiver after car is off? Sorry, never actually owned an esc that you could change timing/add boost ect...

Thanks for the help.
You'll plug the throttle wire into the programming card in the slot that has 3 symbols on it (+, -, and a signal lead), while the ESC is off. Turn on the ESC and you'll enter programming mode. Change the values you desire and then turn the ESC back off. Next time you turn it on it should use the new values. Plug back into receiver and you're set.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ALIEN3T
id be honest i like when they don't come with it. I mainly run speed passion. (eventually want a trakstar) and every esc comes with the basic programming box.
Well, not EVERY one. Oddly, all the ESCs I have (aside from the Trackstar) came with program cards, but you could program them without the cards. The cards are nothing but a more user-friendly way to change the settings using lights instead of beeps and transmitter trigger presses. But all of those ESCs could be programmed WITHOUT the cards.

This Trackstar is useless without the program box. You can calibrate the throttle endpoints, but my ESC evidently came with no reverse as default, so all I can do with this thing until I get the bloody program box is calibrate full forward and stop. IMO, if the ESC is useless without it, it HAS to be included.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At least the Gen I 120a program box is available in USA warehouses. If you get the Gen II or the 1s esc, the newer program box is international warehouse only. Why are they only stocked in one location?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Christophoclese
You'll plug the throttle wire into the programming card in the slot that has 3 symbols on it (+, -, and a signal lead), while the ESC is off. Turn on the ESC and you'll enter programming mode. Change the values you desire and then turn the ESC back off. Next time you turn it on it should use the new values. Plug back into receiver and you're set.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default need help with drag brake

I have a spectrum dx3r and the 120 amp turning track star turbo V1 esc. Travel in radio is at 150 brake power is 100 percent in radio. On programming card I have initial brake option set to drag brake.
Drag brake setting is up to 40 percent. Brake power in esc is at 100 percent.
This is in my b5m buggy. With these setting it will only slow the car down slightly. What can I do to get more drag brake? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

anyone use this one ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Truck_ESC.html

can it handle 4s 1/8 buggy in hot temps ?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
dtr
Tech Master

I've been running it for two years in a Losi 8ight with 1900-2200kv motors, no problem. Summer is about 90°F around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.