Search
Like Tree3Likes

Turnigy TrackStar ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Turnigy TrackStar ESC

How'd, I'm looking @ running one of these,Turnigy TrackStar 100A 1/10th Scale Sensored Brushless Car ESC,
Wondering has anyone tried/run one.
It's fitting it to a B44.1 with a Tekin 17.5T for stock class.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Car_ESC_.html

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

most people i hear seem to have pretty good luck with them, but there are the ones that just pop for no reason. i have always preferred hobby wing electronics myself.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run this one in both my cars...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10th_ESC.html

You have to run sensored though. But only 42 usd. Have been great to me. Fans are junk, but you won't need a fan with a 17.5. Otherwise they are great.

They make an 80A version too, for a little less money.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My buddy has pulled all his tekin and max pros out and sold them and replaced them with the turbo 120a in the link above. He couldnt be happier and pocketed the cash ... Nice timing software . I think he has 5 or 6 of them
Old 12-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Will this work well with a 4X4 SCT?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

+1 on the 120 amp turbo esc. It has excellent power and smooth throttle response. I've run it in several cars including a 4x4 sct (hyper 10sc). It pushed a 4800kv 4 pole 550 motor with no problems. Make sure to get the proper programming card with it so that you can adjust everything. Both are available from the US warehouse so no long wait to get it. Best budget esc out there IMHO.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dlncooke
How'd, I'm looking @ running one of these,Turnigy TrackStar 100A 1/10th Scale Sensored Brushless Car ESC,
Wondering has anyone tried/run one.
It's fitting it to a B44.1 with a Tekin 17.5T for stock class.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Car_ESC_.html

Thanks for any info.
If you are ordering from the International warehouse then I would suggest you look at these options as I have run them and are also excellent options:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nsorless_.html

It works with this program box for adjustments and can be used to connect to a pc for updates. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

Also this esc works well for your application:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...grammable.html
Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I too run the trackstar turbo 120amp in 2 of my basher car, and they work flawlessly. Very smooth and powerfull. Seems like no matter what I gear too, they always run cool...or maybe I'm not trying hard enough to cook them lolol. my main race cars run Tekin's, but I've got no problem running the Turnigys or HW/HK's in their place.

And just to be clear, there is a specific programming box that has to be used with the "turbo" Turnigy ESC's....they don't work with the widely universal Turnigy/HW programming LCD box posted above.

If you want to program the 80a/120a Turnigy Trackstar Turbo ESC's you need this box here...same with ESC firmware updates...must have IMO.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mming_Box.html
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

I just picked up a 120a turbo and used it Saturday for the first time in a race.

Very smooth, tons of power. I ran no boost or turbo and still has plenty of power on tap.

My only complaint is that reverse is inconsistent. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. On the bench, it will work as intended damn near every time. Once on the track and when I need it, it won't work. Tried re-calibrating and it got a little better.

Is that worth trying to send it back for? Probably not. I'll probably play around with it a little bit and see if I can fix it or maybe learn to tolerate it until I can get something to replace it. It's in my racer, so not having reverse is not a huge deal. Practice is going to be a little aggravating.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
I

My only complaint is that reverse is inconsistent. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. On the bench, it will work as intended damn near every time. Once on the track and when I need it, it won't work. Tried re-calibrating and it got a little better.

Is that worth trying to send it back for? Probably not. I'll probably play around with it a little bit and see if I can fix it or maybe learn to tolerate it until I can get something to replace it. It's in my racer, so not having reverse is not a huge deal. Practice is going to be a little aggravating.
I've had the same issue with a Tekin rx8. I think it has to do with safety's they design in to guarantee that drivers aren't going to reverse while still moving forward. They clearly don't work very consistently.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

I have three of them, soon to be 4. 2 of the Gen2 for the buggies and 2 of the first gen for the SCTs. All 120s and they work great. Quite a few guys run these at my track and I haven't heard any complaints yet. The only thing it can't figure out is where to get the USB link for the Gen2s? The instruction manual shows it, searched the website and nothing, even contacted Hobbyking on the livechat and they couldn't find it? Anybody had any luck locating it or have a part #?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
I've had the same issue with a Tekin rx8. I think it has to do with safety's they design in to guarantee that drivers aren't going to reverse while still moving forward. They clearly don't work very consistently.
Really? I just figured I was getting what I paid for. I didn't think the more expensive ESC's would have a problem like that.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CaseyD
I have three of them, soon to be 4. 2 of the Gen2 for the buggies and 2 of the first gen for the SCTs. All 120s and they work great. Quite a few guys run these at my track and I haven't heard any complaints yet. The only thing it can't figure out is where to get the USB link for the Gen2s? The instruction manual shows it, searched the website and nothing, even contacted Hobbyking on the livechat and they couldn't find it? Anybody had any luck locating it or have a part #?
You should have been practicing instead of posting today………

I run these speedos in all but one of my Vehicles, RT6/RB6/and my daughters 22SCT. I have a RX8 in my Ebuggy. I WAS running a tekin RS in my RB6 but in flamed out for no reason before a main. Never had a 120 amp let me down like the tekin did. I will continue to buy these from now on.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Well I Must Admit That These Esc's Rock... I Watched One In Action By A Pro Driver Who Was Driving Someone's 4wd Schumacher Buggy With The 120 Amp Esc And A Trakpower 6.5 Motor... It Flat.out Rocked!!!!!! He Ran That Thing Hard In That 4 Wheeler And It Ran 105 Degrees... Its Almost A Perfect Copy Of The Newest V3 HobbyWing Esc And The Orion R10 Pro... Im Considering Trying 1 In My 4wd sc.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

This is true^^^

but.....in one round it was ran with no fan and got to 190...no thermal...no quit....kept on tickin...the dude he speaks of used to run Orion...he said it was very similar in feel...if not identical.....the brakes sound the same, they used an Orion fan also. I'm getting one for mod truck that im gonna build soon, Jack got online and ordered 2 w/boxes yesterday while at the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.