Search

Who charging 20+ amps or more now??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho
There isn't the information I am looking for thanks.
what information are you looking for?

that link from wingracer has a user guide that very comprehensive, with hyperlinked text, and the charge control software is also fully documented.

if anything these are too comprehensive, you have to search for the just bits of interest, but you sure can't say they are incomplete.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was nervous charging my 3800 battery at the 4.2 amps I normally charge my 4200's at yesterday... LOL
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mingoglia
I was nervous charging my 3800 battery at the 4.2 amps I normally charge my 4200's at yesterday... LOL
First time I was nervous too.
Started out with 10 amps then 20 Amps...

Notice the increase in performance and the batteries didn't even get hot!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
First time I was nervous too.
Started out with 10 amps then 20 Amps...

Notice the increase in performance and the batteries didn't even get hot!
I bought the Hitec X4 AC knowing that I'll only ever charge 2s at 5 amps. My goal was to just be able to charge multiple packs at once because I race 3 classes Friday and Sunday nights. I figured the higher power chargers were only needed for flight packs or 1/8 scale electric and since I only run shorties now I'll likely never have say a 8000 mah pack. Oh well, I guess I'll bump it up to it's max 6amp per channel and charge all of my 7 packs, which range from 3800 to 5000 at the same 6amps. Will be a lot easier than switching the amp setting for each of the packs all the time like I do now. Won't be a charging speed demon, but with 4 charging at a time I'll still always have fresh packs between heats. Sounds like from this thread that there may be some benefits of fast charging that I may not be able to take advantage of, but as with most things in life I'll get by.

Mike
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ok... I have some questions after cycling the batteries...

I noticed that once the charger is finished the voltage is at 8.43, within 2 mins it drops down to 8.37 and at 20 mins it is down to 8.35.

On the iCharger the max is set to 120% and the voltage cutoff per cell is 4.2..

Any ideas to get keep the voltage up around 8.4 longer?

The IR after 1 cycle dropped from 3.2 to 0.7....
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

I felt like I was living on the edge last night.... the feeling was liberating! I charged my 4200mah pack at 6 amps and not the recommended 4.2 amps! Living on the edge I am! I'm throwing caution to the wind and charging my 2 3800's, 2 4200's, 1 5000, 1 5300, and 1 4000 ALL at 6amps! Seriously though, that's all she's got Captain so I'm stuck at 6 but will continue to be intrigued while subscribed and following this thread. Before reading this thread I was literally charging every one of those at their individual 1C charge rating and it was getting annoying... plus teaching my 9yo to keep this straight between races at the track was a pain.

Mike
Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

I felt like I was living on the edge last night.... the feeling was liberating! I charged my 4200mah pack at 6 amps and not the recommended 4.2 amps! Living on the edge I am!
Mike
You could be living on the edge if your packs are labelled as 1C max charge rate and you go over that.

Our discussion here on this thread is safety and correct charging techniques at the max allowed rate that a battery manufacturer has indicated on their packs.

Talked to a newb the other day that saw this thread and wanted to buy a iCharger or PL6 to charge his 2C packs at 20 amps. People don't understand what the max C charge rating on the pack is there for a reason.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

I felt like I was living on the edge last night.... the feeling was liberating! I charged my 4200mah pack at 6 amps and not the recommended 4.2 amps! Living on the edge I am! I'm throwing caution to the wind and charging my 2 3800's, 2 4200's, 1 5000, 1 5300, and 1 4000 ALL at 6amps! Seriously though, that's all she's got Captain so I'm stuck at 6 but will continue to be intrigued while subscribed and following this thread. Before reading this thread I was literally charging every one of those at their individual 1C charge rating and it was getting annoying... plus teaching my 9yo to keep this straight between races at the track was a pain.

Mike
Just so you know... I charged at 20amp (which was 2.3C) for the first time and monitored the temp... the pack did not get over 90...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Ok... I have some questions after cycling the batteries...

I noticed that once the charger is finished the voltage is at 8.43, within 2 mins it drops down to 8.37 and at 20 mins it is down to 8.35.

On the iCharger the max is set to 120% and the voltage cutoff per cell is 4.2..

Any ideas to get keep the voltage up around 8.4 longer?

The IR after 1 cycle dropped from 3.2 to 0.7....
If it is the 4010DUO you will find a setting in one of the sub menus to maintain voltage post-charge. That option should be activated.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MDawson
If it is the 4010DUO you will find a setting in one of the sub menus to maintain voltage post-charge. That option should be activated.
Yes it is the 4010Duo and I will look this up in the manual... I was trying to figure out what setting could be changed when you are at race and the voltage meter is not the same as the charger, up or down... adjustment....

So is this normal to drop off that much after a short time?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC
You could be living on the edge if your packs are labelled as 1C max charge rate and you go over that.

Our discussion here on this thread is safety and correct charging techniques at the max allowed rate that a battery manufacturer has indicated on their packs.

Talked to a newb the other day that saw this thread and wanted to buy a iCharger or PL6 to charge his 2C packs at 20 amps. People don't understand what the max C charge rating on the pack is there for a reason.
I was under the assumption that this thread didn't differentiate between packs rated for only 1C and those that are higher. 3 of mine are actually rated for higher. One is rated for 2C, and the other 2 are rated for 12c (with the disclaimer of using an "approved" charger). Those last 2 are Thunder Power. In the past I've just charged everything at 1C regardless.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are there any packs left on the market that are truly rated for only 1C? Oh I'm sure there are plenty that might say 1C charge in the paperwork or even on the pack simply because that is the max allowed by ROAR but that doesn't mean the cells can't take more. If that exact same cell is sold without the case as a flight pack, I bet it would say 2 or 3C charge.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Are there any packs left on the market that are truly rated for only 1C? Oh I'm sure there are plenty that might say 1C charge in the paperwork or even on the pack simply because that is the max allowed by ROAR but that doesn't mean the cells can't take more. If that exact same cell is sold without the case as a flight pack, I bet it would say 2 or 3C charge.
All my CRC packs have the 1C warning on them. On these though I think the lower the better because EVERY shorty CRC I've ever seen, even charged at 1C, start to puff after a month. The standard size ones seem fine, but the shorties rock like a rocking chair when put on the table.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

I was under the assumption that this thread didn't differentiate between packs rated for only 1C and those that are higher. 3 of mine are actually rated for higher. One is rated for 2C, and the other 2 are rated for 12c (with the disclaimer of using an "approved" charger). Those last 2 are Thunder Power. In the past I've just charged everything at 1C regardless.
Top level packs you can charge 20 amps in a lipo locker or bag with no problems.

Not Trunigy, Zippy,Gen Ace or your low grade B lipos.

SMC, Trinity, Reedy, Venom all good to go!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Most Lipo packs sold for transmitters, receivers will not be used in high discharge rates and should be charged at 1C. These will come with tiny connectors.

Packs sold for racing and helis that have high C discharge rates also have high charge rates. These packs comes from the factory with 4mm, 5mm and EC5 connectors. A label that indicates the maximum C charge rates should be somewhere on the pack.

Also, high C discharge and high C charge packs also have lower IR. You will see this during the charge cycle. On the race packs, I am seeing 1.9 mega-ohm and less and for transmitter packs, I see readings of 20 mega-ohm.

If there is no max charge label, then charge at 1C.
Attached Thumbnails Who charging 20+ amps or more now??-lipo-max-charge-label.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.