Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Racing - Lipo Cutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Nitro Racing - Lipo Cutoff?

So I thought a voltage regulator would be the answer, but it is not. I Have a HB D8 and D8T and as many of you know, we can only run certain Lipos like the Yeah Racing and Robitronic, which have a very tight fit in the battery tray. I squeeze the lipo in and charge with an external lead... so I rarely remove the lipo. This scares me as I had one Robitronic catch fire in my D8T battery tray and cook my savox servo wires. I want to be able to run a lipo cutoff so that my lipos will stop drawing power when the voltage is unsafe. This way the battery does not poof in the battery tray, since it will not be inspected very often.

Looking for something small like the muchmore volt ragulator, and must have an in and out connection. This is a perfect example... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Regulator

Any suggestions on what I should do to protect these lipo receiver packs???
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Check out Vpprousa.com
They have a new electrical switch that works great for lipo.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Greg B
Check out Vpprousa.com
They have a new electrical switch that works great for lipo.
That looks to be the stuff right there!

http://www.vpprousa.com/rc-parts-acc...keyword=switch
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Is this a common feature if a fail safe?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

You want this switch... Hands down probably the best one.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rical-Switch-2
Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JourneyMan
So I thought a voltage regulator would be the answer, but it is not. I Have a HB D8 and D8T and as many of you know, we can only run certain Lipos like the Yeah Racing and Robitronic, which have a very tight fit in the battery tray. I squeeze the lipo in and charge with an external lead... so I rarely remove the lipo. This scares me as I had one Robitronic catch fire in my D8T battery tray and cook my savox servo wires. I want to be able to run a lipo cutoff so that my lipos will stop drawing power when the voltage is unsafe. This way the battery does not poof in the battery tray, since it will not be inspected very often.

Looking for something small like the muchmore volt ragulator, and must have an in and out connection. This is a perfect example... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Regulator

Any suggestions on what I should do to protect these lipo receiver packs???
In stock.

http://siteground235.com/~winners4/a...ad3b1f&x=0&y=0

Lee
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A Rx LiPo Cutoff is a great way to send a car tearing off into the woods. At that point you're reliant merely on the throttle return spring, which is supposed to be a worst-case-scenario option, not something to rely upon. Never mind brakes.

If you're worried about over-draining your LiPo, you're not charging it enough, or running some puny undersized capacity LiPo. It's just that simple. Charge it more. Or if you want to physically run the battery to its limit, that's just dangerous and reckless.

I'll gladly take accidentally over-draining a $20 LiPo over destroying a $400 engine and potentially hurting someone.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The lipos I run only have 800mah and last over 25mins. They are small and light and I have 4 of them. I say, "when in doubt swap em out." And normally I only use 400 to 500mah out of the 800.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do NOT us a cutoff for a receiver pack. That's just a runaway waiting to happen. You should be able to notice the servos getting slow before it dies completely. Of course, you shouldn't be letting it get that low anyway. Charge it after every hour or so of use and it should never get too low.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

Why don't you just use one of those battery level indicators, they just let you know how much juice is left in your battery without the danger of a lip cutoff, if you are scared to not know where you are at with your battery, this would would be a cheap way to go.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I run a D8 Hara (and have for awhile). I run the 1500mah Robitronics pack, and that thing will EASILY last you 1.5 - 2 hours on a full charge assuming it's not worn out and such. The main problem with the robitronics is after some time has passed....they stop holding the full 1500mah. My last one was only holding @ 1100 or so....but I left my car on and it puffed on me. So I replaced it. I pull the cover off to plug in a balancer when I charge it so that gives me a chance to inspect it as well, but I never remove it from the tray. No need.....
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

I just use 1500mah+ and straight lipo. No reg or cutoff garbage. Chop your box until one fits, or switch to a car that deosn't have a insanely cramped battery box.

Just watch how many mah your charger uses after a 15min run. Then you know how long your packs last. Use a full charge before your main. Problem solved, no goofball reg or switch needed.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Not to start crap, but I run 2000 mah, batteries and never in the history of me running these packs have I ever got 2hr on a pack. After a hour main My packs are pretty low.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Depends on how much you brake, and how much traction there is.

On slick dusty tracks I never get up to speed enough to need brakes, just toss the car in and dial it so it deosn't traction roll but slides and drifts well. Battery lasts forever on those.

1 hour on my 2000mah Protek is cake. 2hrs is just plain pushing it. But I'd bet money on 1.5hrs being safe at my track.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
You want this switch... Hands down probably the best one.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rical-Switch-2
Yeh good switch, have one on both my cars, havent missed a beat (touch wood lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.