Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Racing - Lipo Cutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
A Rx LiPo Cutoff is a great way to send a car tearing off into the woods. At that point you're reliant merely on the throttle return spring, which is supposed to be a worst-case-scenario option, not something to rely upon. Never mind brakes.

If you're worried about over-draining your LiPo, you're not charging it enough, or running some puny undersized capacity LiPo. It's just that simple. Charge it more. Or if you want to physically run the battery to its limit, that's just dangerous and reckless.

I'll gladly take accidentally over-draining a $20 LiPo over destroying a $400 engine and potentially hurting someone.
I run the robotronic 1500 and yeah racing 1800. This is for HB D8 hara and D* Truggy. Last year I was running the 1700mah HPI nimh and yea I had one drain until I lost power and could not finish the main. Don't want that problem this year and if the new 1700 nimh drained during a main, I could see that happening with a 1800mah lipo and POOF. Mind you I am running Savox HV servos.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxr17
Why don't you just use one of those battery level indicators, they just let you know how much juice is left in your battery without the danger of a lip cutoff, if you are scared to not know where you are at with your battery, this would would be a cheap way to go.
This is a great! This one I could find with decent reviews... but may be a little too big.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Warning-Alarm
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Switch to a Life battery is a good option I didn't see in this thread. Sure the voltage is a touch lower than straight Lipo but that's really not a big deal. No worries about running it too low because it can handle very low voltage that would make the servo's noticably slow and easy to see\feel. 1700mah can be had quite cheaply from Hobbyking or a little more at Amain.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
A Rx LiPo Cutoff is a great way to send a car tearing off into the woods. At that point you're reliant merely on the throttle return spring, which is supposed to be a worst-case-scenario option, not something to rely upon. Never mind brakes.

If you're worried about over-draining your LiPo, you're not charging it enough, or running some puny undersized capacity LiPo. It's just that simple. Charge it more. Or if you want to physically run the battery to its limit, that's just dangerous and reckless.

I'll gladly take accidentally over-draining a $20 LiPo over destroying a $400 engine and potentially hurting someone.
If you run a lipo cut-off you need to run a throttle return spring so that in the event that you have a low voltage situation and the switch cuts the power, the throttle return spring will close the throttle.

I run a throttle return spring regardless of the type of battery in use to insure that my car engine will return to idle speed if something goes wrong.

Lee