Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Clarification on AMB Mylaps transponders >

Clarification on AMB Mylaps transponders

Clarification on AMB Mylaps transponders

Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation Clarification on AMB Mylaps transponders

There is a thread which has been discussing the recent update of AMB/Mylaps Decoders to RC4 protocol and the impact on transponders.

So I thought a concise post about which transponders work and don't work would be helpful.

All new decoders now being sold by Mylaps are loaded with RC4 frimware and they are offering an attractive trade up deal on RC2 and RC3 decoders.

AMBrc2 (short red box, no screen), AMBrc3/Mylaps rc3 decoders (small mono LED screen) will work with...

AMBrc rechargeable hand out transponders (if your batteries are failing please contact myself for a battery replacement service link)
the earlier AMBrc DP personal (all red with permanent screw mounts)
Mylaps RC4 hybrid transponders with the detachable holder
MRT transponders.

The newest (Pure) Mylaps RC4 transponder (not designated as hybrid) will ONLY work with an RC4 decoder.

The RC4 decoder will work with all the above listed transponder except the MRT transponder.
Since the release of the RC4 decoder upgrade I have noticed a surge in the number of MRT transponders being listed on eBay for sale.

My advise is DO NOT buy an MRT transponder.
If you have an MRT transponder then I suggest to take advantage of the Mylaps trade in offer you can see below but ONLY if you will be racing at tracks that have an RC4 decoder.

Images below are screen shots from the Mylaps Australia web site Feb 4th 2013

IMHO the best transponder to own is the Mylaps RC4 hybrid because it will work on ALL AMB/Mylaps rc systems. (obviously NOT AMB20 systems or earlier)

Last edited by racer1812; 02-04-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: advertising
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 3 wire

we just experianced this last night, 2 brand new transponders wouldn't pick up and couldn't figure out why, they have red,black and white wires instead of just the red and black like my hybrid so are these the new rc4 only transponders
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yellowjacket45 View Post
we just experianced this last night, 2 brand new transponders wouldn't pick up and couldn't figure out why, they have red,black and white wires instead of just the red and black like my hybrid so are these the new rc4 only transponders
Yes, the 3 wire PT's are the newest ones that will only work with the updated decoder.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

anyone else thinks this is really, really stupid of AMB?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Yup a complete b.s monopoly of the timing world. Hopefully a new company can emerge and help get transponders and their systems more within reasonable price range..
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
anyone else thinks this is really, really stupid of AMB?
Stupid? By preventing the MRT transponders from working? Did people really think AMB wasn't going to release some sort of an upgrade to prevent non AMB transponders from working?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Stupid? By preventing the MRT transponders from working? Did people really think AMB wasn't going to release some sort of an upgrade to prevent non AMB transponders from working?
yeah but the new AMB transponders don't work with their older decoder.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by trickedout View Post
Yup a complete b.s monopoly of the timing world. Hopefully a new company can emerge and help get transponders and their systems more within reasonable price range..
So you'd dump your current transponders and buy all news ones because they're cheaper? Not going to happen. If I were a track owner I'd be hard pressed to dump my current working timing system for a new one then ask all my 75 customers to pony up more money for new transponders that cost less? What if I have 6 current working AMB transponders? You're going to ask me to buy 6 new ones?

The only way what you're saying would work is if a new company released a new timing system that was open and allowed anyone to produce transponders for it.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
yeah but the new AMB transponders don't work with their older decoder.
You can upgrade your current decoder and it will work, I just upgraded my tracks decoder two weeks ago because the new transponders that came in wouldn't work.

I do understand however that some decoders aren't upgradable and that's unfortunate but it's to be expected, it's a business and AMB has to protect their product.

Years ago when the MRT transponders came out I avoided them all together for this very reason. Did people really think AMB was going to stand around and not do something to stop cloned transponders from working?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Somebodies got their head up amb's rear end.... I bet I'm surely not alone in thinking another system with cheaper pricing would in fact take off and yup I'd be willing to support it and buy into it. My motors work with any esc, my esc work with any motor, my servos work with any receiver and so on, so why does amb have to be high and mighty on their pedestal??
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

This whole pricing scheme AMB has is crazy. It makes getting started in racing very difficult. These things should be much much cheaper.

I think the time has come for a change....
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by trickedout View Post
Somebodies got their head up amb's rear end.... I bet I'm surely not alone in thinking another system with cheaper pricing would in fact take off and yup I'd be willing to support it and buy into it. My motors work with any esc, my esc work with any motor, my servos work with any receiver and so on, so why does amb have to be high and mighty on their pedestal??
I'm pretty sure there is another timing system on the market already, go convince your local tracks to switch to it. Report back with your results.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

When RC4 was announced, my first thought was why, so I called them, and they said, "It is to stop the cloning of our transponders" nuff said...

What is really funny is the hypocrisy on these forums..
People will put down, hobby king, flysky and skyrc, and say buy the mainstream line products like airtronics, ko, futaba, but they will buy mrt (which is a clone) and not the mainstream which is amb.

Everybody needs to quit whining and just upgrade.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

jimmy - i 10000% disagree with you. any track owner that upgrades is going to feel the backlash. no one wants to scare people away. it is not like these RC4 'pure' transponders are $40. they are still $100.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You can turn in your cloned transponders and get an RC4 transponder for $35 from MyLaps.

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e...upgrade_to_rc4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.