Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC >

Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC

Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC

Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

What's the cost of these pilot run drop downs?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All good questions.

A template and a 3mm drill bit is included. Kinda hard to drill without a template to begin with. The drop down has the threads and the M3 button head screws attach from inside the radio.

As for price, check the website. The 4PL pricing is the same as the MT4. Available in silver and satin black.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I noticed the mt-4 drop down is available only in aluminum. The price does not matter to me, but i could see $70-80 being intimidating for some buyers. I think a delrin option would be a great idea. I know delrin can be machined like alumium, but the benefits i could see are: less cost, lighter weight, and more sales due to lower cost. I think you should still offer an aluminum option on both drop downs, but i think a delrin option would be a very nice alternative. It could also be had for around $40-50 i'm guessing. Either way, i would still buy it, delrin or not. Just something to think about.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC
Hello Justin,

You yourself would probably get one if it was available while the rest sits on the fence. After talking to racers, the only difference between Sanwa and Futaba is branding, since both radios compete with each other and have similar features.

Racers like yourself bought the 4PL or MT4 for budget reasons, so many won't buy a aftermarket drop down even it was available. We have also been told by many MT4 owners they prefer a back light or radio skins. They want a drop down for $30 or less because that is what they paid for the radio skins. It takes a lot less time and money to print decals than it is to machine aluminum.

One racer told us he had no intentions of buying a drop down but had to lie to us so that we can make one up so he can see what it looks like.

So please understand why we can not just jump and mill up 4PL drop downs. If people are not willing to prepaid, then it is obvious they don't really want it. Pre-orders don't mean a thing when the time comes, everyone back out, and we are stuck with hundreds of drop down that will never get sold.

Ron
Team GRID
Have you guys looked at Kickstarter? This would be a perfect platform to get the word out of future projects and get the confidence in finance and lower risk.

I have ordered already the DD for the MT-4 and was reading this thread.

I would suggest also doing some marketing or at least putting press-releases out with good pictures and generally keeping the interested people up-to-date with what's happening to this and future projects. And what the procedure is for getting DDs made. When you ask of interest on the interweb there will always be differently motivated people and some that were initially interested lost on the way to production.

I think I read about the DD for the MT4 a year ago? And started to follow anxiously of what will come of it, but nothing happened for a long time or at least nothing was communicated so I lost interest as I thought you are not doing the DD for the mt-4. Then one day I just browsed around and found the thread active and it was the day before you put up the ordering. So Kickstarter and the whole philosophy of building something when there is enough interest removes the need to make an educated guess of the potential market and the trip to the bank.

The pics you have now aren't that good, even though they were good enough to buy. I took a leap of faith even though I didn't see one pic of the internals or indication of the smoothness of the DD.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
I noticed the mt-4 drop down is available only in aluminum. The price does not matter to me, but i could see $70-80 being intimidating for some buyers. I think a delrin option would be a great idea. I know delrin can be machined like alumium, but the benefits i could see are: less cost, lighter weight, and more sales due to lower cost. I think you should still offer an aluminum option on both drop downs, but i think a delrin option would be a very nice alternative. It could also be had for around $40-50 i'm guessing. Either way, i would still buy it, delrin or not. Just something to think about.
The cost is mostly for machining time and associated operating expenses along with the low volume demand. Delrin is not ideal because it has weaker threads than alum. Also Delrin is not available in silver color which some customers have asked for.

Plastic injection is the cheapest way to produce this kind of product. Unless it is a high volume product, a $15,000+ mold does not justify it either.

Radio skins sell for $33 -$35, and I doubt you can CNC machine this drop down and associated internal parts and include ball bearings for $40-$50. And don't forget the extra cost for anodizing. This is a low demand upgrade and the MT4 drop down sales show it.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 02-25-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nanoverse
Have you guys looked at Kickstarter? This would be a perfect platform to get the word out of future projects and get the confidence in finance and lower risk.

I have ordered already the DD for the MT-4 and was reading this thread.

I would suggest also doing some marketing or at least putting press-releases out with good pictures and generally keeping the interested people up-to-date with what's happening to this and future projects. And what the procedure is for getting DDs made. When you ask of interest on the interweb there will always be differently motivated people and some that were initially interested lost on the way to production.

I think I read about the DD for the MT4 a year ago? And started to follow anxiously of what will come of it, but nothing happened for a long time or at least nothing was communicated so I lost interest as I thought you are not doing the DD for the mt-4. Then one day I just browsed around and found the thread active and it was the day before you put up the ordering. So Kickstarter and the whole philosophy of building something when there is enough interest removes the need to make an educated guess of the potential market and the trip to the bank.

The pics you have now aren't that good, even though they were good enough to buy. I took a leap of faith even though I didn't see one pic of the internals or indication of the smoothness of the DD.
What is Kickstarter?

The MT4 drop down did receive worldwide press and we received hundreds of requests from racers over time and many told us that they knew hundreds that would buy also. All of those that promised hundreds, themselves never bought.

The MT4 drop down project was actually cancelled twice due to low interest.

Drop downs are preference upgrades and that is why you see it only on the flagship radios from each company. Most of the customers for the MT4 are not racers, and the few that do race are don't have a desire for a drop down.

Because of our experience with the MT4 drop down project, the 4PL project will be handled differently. A custom run for paid customers for the 4PL drop down is in progress. We do not think making hundreds and hope to sell them knowing the low demand for it.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 02-25-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

What is Kickstarter?

The MT4 drop down did receive worldwide press and we received hundreds of requests from racers over time and many told us that they knew hundreds that would buy also. All of those that promised hundreds, themselves never bought.

The MT4 drop down project was actually cancelled twice due to low interest.

Drop downs are preference upgrades and that is why you see it only on the flagship radios from each company. Most of the customers for the MT4 are not racers, and the few that do race are don't have a desire for a drop down.

Because of our experience with the MT4 drop down project, the 4PL project will be handled differently. A custom run for paid customers for the 4PL drop down is in progress. We do not think making hundreds and hope to sell them knowing the low demand for it.
Kickstarter.com is a social funding platform for individuals, groups and businesses that use crowdsourcing as to give funds for a project. Check it out!
Lot's of interesting projects that I have backed over the years.

I read a lot of rc blogs and news and haven't yet seen the DD mentioned, but cool that you have put the word out. I think that when you get the first batches out and people review and test you'll (hopefully) get more interest and business.

Edit: Just Googled and it's getting coverage alright.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Kickstarter.com is a social funding platform for individuals, groups and businesses that use crowdsourcing as to give funds for a project. Check it out!
Lot's of interesting projects that I have backed over the years.

I read a lot of rc blogs and news and haven't yet seen the DD mentioned, but cool that you have put the word out. I think that when you get the first batches out and people review and test you'll (hopefully) get more interest and business.
We post in RC Tech because 4PL owners hang out here. Should we use Kickstarter instead?

Kickstarter is better suited to mass market products/ideas and not a niche upgrade for the 4PL.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 02-25-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

We post in RC Tech because 4PL owners hang out here. Should we use Kickstarter instead?

Kickstarter would be interest mass market products and ignore a drop down for the 4PL being a niche item.
RC Tech is where the core crowd is.
No,no,no. Take time to look at projects, there are really small personal ones and big undertakings. Like the oscar winning documentary funded there.

If you want funding for your projects you can announce them here,there, everywhere. You define a goal and only if your set goals are met the project will be funded. It's a great system to get niche or special interest products and services out.

Just trying to help.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

RC Tech is where the core crowd is.
No,no,no. Take time to look at projects, there are really small personal ones and big undertakings. Like the oscar winning documentary funded there.

If you want funding for your projects you can announce them here,there, everywhere. You define a goal and only if your set goals are met the project will be funded. It's a great system to get niche or special interest products and services out.

Just trying to help.
Funding for the 4PL comes from 4PL owners. Without it, the 4PL pilot run gets cancelled. Paid customer gets a drop down - simple math.

Kickstarter funds projects not businesses. That is criteria #1 in the guidelines.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 02-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

I AM IN! lol Can't wait
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Any ETA or updates on the pilot run? Besides, this thread needed a bump anyway.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Any ETA or updates on the pilot run? Besides, this thread needed a bump anyway.
You want the honest truth?

Very few here that posted that want the drop down, pm'd us to be on the pilot list. But we will say many thanks to the ones that did.

We are waiting on the MT4 drop down parts to come back from the anodizer end of this week so we can send them out to all the anxious MT4 owners. Maybe once the 4PL owners see and touch it, it may change their minds about the project.

We did get a few feedback that they do not want to buy vaporware, but product in stock. Even if it was in stock, they still probably won't buy it. Kinda, chicken and the egg.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What do I need to do to get one?!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Is the pilot run almost complete? I saved some money not buying tires this week, and i'm ready to put that savings into this. My paypal is ready. Tell me when. Would be awesome if i could have one of these things before ooutdoor begins in a few weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.