Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC >

Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC

Futaba 4pl drop down by GRID RC

Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Team Grid Rc...

This needs to happen and happen now!!! I can't even begin to tell you how many guys at my local track wish that there was a drop down option for the 4pl. This discussion is constantly being brought up all the time. This sounds like one hell of an idea. BUT...I don't think you will get many people on here demanding this option. This needs to be made and on the market for everyone to see to really make this happen. Then it will take for sure!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thing is whilst the 4pks/r is available to someone who wants a drop-down, most people dont want to drop $450-550 for one, as opposed to a 4pl which can be had for around $250, then offer a grid-rc DD option for $50-60 and one would still be $100-200 better off.

Can see where grid-rc was coming from re: the mt4 decision, but like i said before, a 4pl version would do quite well i think.

I know i'd buy one

my 2c :-)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would pre order if it was avaliable
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nate79
I would pre order if it was avaliable
We tried this idea with the MT4 and it didn't work. The issues with pre-orders, hundreds pre-order, and only a dozen remain when it comes time to actual payment. No one likes prepaid either for a project so we can only wait to see over time if the interest is high enough.

With the MT4 project, we had promises for hundreds of orders for the MT4 drop from Philippine, well.... not a single purchase from Philippine since the release.

So someone suggested we make hundreds of the 4PL drop down for stock. We won't be doing that from experience. Keep in mind although the 4PL is more popular than the MT4, only a handful are used by racers, and after talking to other 4PL owners they would prefer radio skins over a drop down because it looks cooler.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 02-09-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
Team Grid Rc...

This needs to happen and happen now!!! I can't even begin to tell you how many guys at my local track wish that there was a drop down option for the 4pl. This discussion is constantly being brought up all the time. This sounds like one hell of an idea. BUT...I don't think you will get many people on here demanding this option. This needs to be made and on the market for everyone to see to really make this happen. Then it will take for sure!
We appreciate your sincere interest and your post, but we need to be sure before going ahead with the 4PL project. With the MT4 project we had a racer from Philippine pushing hard for the drop down and promises that hundreds in his country wanted it. Since the release of the MT4 drop down, not a single purchase from Philippine or himself.

Doesn't create confidence in future projects for other drop downs.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC
We appreciate your sincere interest and your post, but we need to be sure before going ahead with the 4PL project. With the MT4 project we had a racer from Philippine pushing hard for the drop down and promises that hundreds in his country wanted it. Since the release of the MT4 drop down, not a single purchase from Philippine or himself.

Doesn't create confidence in future projects for other drop downs.
I hear you on that one lol. If this does happen please shoot me a PM as I'm very interested in a ddw!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Would love to have one before offroad season in march.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I see where your coming from grid, however my local track has about 8 regular racers who use the 4pl, including myself. The reason I got one was that in can't afford to spend upwards of $500 for a new futaba 4 pks-r. It would be awesome to have, being that the drop down is so much more comfortable, but the price tag is way to high for me. Where $60-$80 for a grid drop down would make a big improvement, and I feel that the guys that are using the 4pl for racing would be willing to pay the $60-$80 for the drop down.

Every track that I have been to aswell has had at least 4 serious racers using the 4pl, so I really se this being a profitable project.

Justin
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jsamarin
I see where your coming from grid, however my local track has about 8 regular racers who use the 4pl, including myself. The reason I got one was that in can't afford to spend upwards of $500 for a new futaba 4 pks-r. It would be awesome to have, being that the drop down is so much more comfortable, but the price tag is way to high for me. Where $60-$80 for a grid drop down would make a big improvement, and I feel that the guys that are using the 4pl for racing would be willing to pay the $60-$80 for the drop down.

Every track that I have been to aswell has had at least 4 serious racers using the 4pl, so I really se this being a profitable project.

Justin
Hello Justin,

You yourself would probably get one if it was available while the rest sits on the fence. After talking to racers, the only difference between Sanwa and Futaba is branding, since both radios compete with each other and have similar features.

Racers like yourself bought the 4PL or MT4 for budget reasons, so many won't buy a aftermarket drop down even it was available. We have also been told by many MT4 owners they prefer a back light or radio skins. They want a drop down for $30 or less because that is what they paid for the radio skins. It takes a lot less time and money to print decals than it is to machine aluminum.

One racer told us he had no intentions of buying a drop down but had to lie to us so that we can make one up so he can see what it looks like.

So please understand why we can not just jump and mill up 4PL drop downs. If people are not willing to prepaid, then it is obvious they don't really want it. Pre-orders don't mean a thing when the time comes, everyone back out, and we are stuck with hundreds of drop down that will never get sold.

Ron
Team GRID
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If this were to happen, what ballpark price would you be looking at? And how many pre-paid orders would you need to be comfortable with proceeding? I'm ready when you are...
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Can see where grid are coming from re: pre-commitment (and the time/money involved) for their business.

Looks like its gonna take a fair wack of pre-paid orders to get this product off the ground based on ron's comments. And as ron said, people say one thing and don't follow through.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wombat
Can see where grid are coming from re: pre-commitment (and the time/money involved) for their business.

Looks like its gonna take a fair wack of pre-paid orders to get this product off the ground based on ron's comments. And as ron said, people say one thing and don't follow through.
Plus ONE!! I would like to know what the price would be? Unlike some bull ser's out there I'll have my credit card ready! Let us know Grid.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Pricing will be the same as the MT4 if you check the website. Although we had some feedback that it should be less than radio skins. If we could only print drop downs then pricing would be a lot less.

The 4PL version will be milled with more rounded edges to match the 4PL whereas The MT4 has more sharper corners. It will be available in silver and satin black.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What good are your cars if you can't get a comfortable radio position? This would most certainly be the first thing i buy for offroad season. My 4pl's wheel sits at an akward position in my hand right now. Drop down wheel would definitely help my driving be a lot smoother, due to less adjusting my fingers on the wheel during a race. I lost about 2 laps on my carpet track last night, because i couldn't find a comfortable spot to rest my fingers on the wheel. As soon as this is available, i'll be ordering it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
What good are your cars if you can't get a comfortable radio position? This would most certainly be the first thing i buy for offroad season. My 4pl's wheel sits at an akward position in my hand right now. Drop down wheel would definitely help my driving be a lot smoother, due to less adjusting my fingers on the wheel during a race. I lost about 2 laps on my carpet track last night, because i couldn't find a comfortable spot to rest my fingers on the wheel. As soon as this is available, i'll be ordering it.
I also like the wheel in-line with the trigger and maximum comfort during racing like any hard core racer would want.

If you look the total number of racers at each race even, majority are wantabe pro drivers with cars that aren't even set up properly but have all the expensive gear, wear team shirts and stick the heck out of the gear box, cars and radio.

Your radio is your connection to your race car and beginner drivers don't see that. 95% of radio sales for radio makers are for radios without drop downs.

I showed the MT4 with a drop down to a racer awhile ago and he liked the looked of it. But when I told him it would be around $60, he said forget it, ... radio skins are half that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.