Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

FlySky FS iT4 Transmitter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, I'll post on the other forum as well - here's what I sent to [email protected]:

-----------------------------------------------
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: question about FS-iT4 firmware...
Importance: High

Hi – I just tried out the FS-iT4 – I think you could make some minor firmware updates and have a really great product! Here’s what I have found:

Section 17-06 of the manual – Steering mix: This set of 4 modes needs to be updated to support REAL 4Wheel Steering (for Axial Wraith for instance) – here’s what is needed:
- Front Steer – current programming controls CH1 on front wheels, but Ch3 is NOT CENTERED!! It seems CH3 is driven to either -100 or 100% (full one direction) – CH3 should be centered, and there should be a “center trim” JUST FOR THIS Front Steer mode – for both CH1 and CH3, and also a CH1 End point Adjustment and Reverse for this mode only. (this could be a “subscreen” programming option).
- Rear Steer – current programming uses Ch1 to control the REAR wheels, but Reversed… This is not good – CH3 is CONNECTED to the Rear Steering Servo for all of the other modes… This mode SHOULD cause CH1 to become CENTERED (with a specific trim adjustment underneath for this mode), and CH3 to respond to STEERING input (with end point, reversing, and center trim adjustments underneath specific to THIS steering mode) – see Mix1+Mix4 below for a “hack” with current firmware that does this.
- 4 Wheel Steer – this works correctly (reverse phase) – should have independent TRIM and EndPointAdjust (and reversing… for BOTH CH1 and CH3 specific to this mix mode (sub menu).
- Crab Steer – this also works correctly (same phase) – should also have independent TRIM and EndPointAdjust (and reversing… for BOTH CH1 and CH3 specific to this mix mode (sub menu).

You could allow each of these “modes” to be RENAMED.
You could SHOW the “Steering Mode” NAME on the MAIN SCREEN – that way we’d know immediately what steering mode is selected.
You could allow any of these steering modes to be ACTIVE/INACTIVE – an option in the “sub settings” – that way if all are inactive just use CH1==Steer, otherwise the steering mode cycles among the ACTIVE modes using the assigned SWITCH.
You could also allow the user to assign a “cycle order” to these modes - for instance using 0-5 as a priority where “0” means “always on”, 1-4 are the order in which the modes are cycled, and 5 means INACTIVE…

Together the above 4 modes support the complete set of steering modes needed for 4 Wheel Steering setups. – this could cause your Radio to become a VERY hot item in the market…
Additional notes:
I have “simulated” working 4 wheel steering using all 4 MIXES as follows:
Mix 1 is always on and acts to CENTER CH3 (Master channel: Steering, Slave Channel: CH3, Low side mix: 0, High side mix: 0, Offset: +100).
Mix 2 is assigned to SW2 (toggle) and provides "reverse phase" (4 WS primary mode) (Master channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Ch3, low side mix: -100, high side mix: -100, Offset: 0)
Mix 3 is assigned to SW3 (toggle) and provides "same phase" (crab steer) (Master Channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Ch3, low side mix: 100, high side mix: 100, offset: 0)
Mix 4 (out of Switches…) provides “rear steer” (Master Channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Steering, Low side mix: -100, high side mix: -100, Offset 0).

I am using SW1 for another function, so I need another SWITCH

Suggest: there should be more Switches – if you could update the firmware to make ANY of the current “trim” selectors available as SWITCHES that would be great – just assign them to “Toggle” functions – and just make the SOUNDS do “hi/low” for on/off indicators.

Suggest: When the MIX screen is selected, showing MIX1-4 on/off status, IF the user selects a SWITCH that Toggles a Mix State, the screen is NOT updated – the “correct” state is not shown until the screen is exited and re-entered – it would be really nice if the screen updated as soon as the switch controlling the mix state was toggled…

I could TEST firmware updates (beta) if you are interested in improving this radio significantly for 4Wheel Steering.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

CaptPat:

Wow! I'm glad to know someone with your knowledge and fine writing skills is on the
job. Speaking of jobs, they may offer you one. Do you like Chinese food? Can you speak
Mandarin?

Seriously, your dissertation makes me so glad I am a river rat (1/4 scale gas boats).

Good luck and keep those synaptic junctions clicking!

P.S. Apologies for misspelling your avatar - won't happen again.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

FYi for anyone that thought the voltage sensor could be used to keep track of battery power I hooked it to my esc on 4s and the sensor smoked.. So apparently its not good for much voltage...
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

That is a good point on the voltage sensor.

Looking at the Instruction Manual p. 14, there is no voltage rating listed. It can
be inferred that 12.4 volts is acceptable but that is not much help.

Looking at an FS-SVT01's label, there is no voltage rating on the sensor.

So, we are missing an important piece of info that should be listed both places.

Just out of curiosity, what voltage toasted it? Sorry yours got damaged.

Edit: The voltage range was later found to be listed on page 9 of the Instruction Manual.

Last edited by NDx41; 06-11-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: error
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

wrt to the Voltage sensor: I can tell you that it works OK on 3S lipo, and also I momentarily REVERSED it since it has those cheesy plugs and I was not paying attention - it still works, magically It almost melted the leads, and then there was a loud "pop" and I certainly thought it was toast, about .5 seconds overall but once it was reconnected correctly the LED came on and the sensor still worked so we know it works fpr 3S Lipo range and doesn't fry immediately on reversal at 3S Lipo voltages... sounds like 4S is not good for it. I'm replacing a 2S Lipo stock Wraith with brushless 3S Lipo, so it's in range on this one.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool Dude, where's my SDK?

These new PDA-style transmitters are the way of the future but they seriously need a software developer's kit in order to dominate the industry. There are a few missing features e.g. a true dual-rate on throttle.

So here's my challenge to Fly Sky, Radiopost, and/or Absima: Give us an SDK.
Anyone else who wants this, please join me in a campaign to get at least one of the manufacturers to do this.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

RougueWarrior:

Welcome to RC Tech.

You are asking some good questions - none of which I know the answer to.

Here is what we do know so far:
- Absima CR4T (FS-iT4 clone) is the only radio to release a firmware upgrade so far.
- This F/W Upgrade is an .exe file.
- When the .exe is run an app opens (the app is not installed on the PC) which
makes the new F/W available to a connected and compatible Absima radio (Tx).
- It is very likely FlySky will use a similar means of distributing new F/Ws.
- Notepad++ can open the .exe so it appears it may not be locked or password protected.

I suspect the PDA style transmitters are going to dominate the market regardless of
how these products continue to be rolled out. I agree that if FlySky were to publish
their own SDK then that would accelerate matters. Would also set a new precedent in
the R/C radio world. Add that to all the other "new precedents" FlySky has already
set in the past two years and it would be "Oh Noooo..!!" (Mr. Bill) time for sure.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NDx41
...Absima CR4T (FS-iT4 clone) is the only radio to release a firmware upgrade so far...
I noticed this also. Anyone brave tried to load it into the Flysky iT-4?
Anyway, I am very sceptical on Flysky making software improvements as CaptPat wrote. Remember GT3B... But because they must be doing the firmware work for Absima, maybe there is a hope...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

That is a good point on the voltage sensor. Looking at the Instruction Manual p. 14, there is no voltage rating listed.
According to the pre-release Flysky manual, the voltage range is 4-30VDC. See http://www.overkillrc.com/iT4/First%20Look/FS-iT4-1.pdf
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Initiate

305 wrote:

> According to the pre-release Flysky manual, the voltage range is 4-30VDC.

Thanks 305. I forgot about the specifications listed on page 9 and stand corrected
about the voltage range not being listed in the Instruction Manual. The voltage range
of the FS-SVT01 is 4-30 V DC.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default fs-it4

I'm really liking the radio so far getting ready to order this. Just want to ask see how it would work for 4 wheel steering and a dig system on a crawler set up
Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

305 wrote:

> According to the pre-release Flysky manual, the voltage range is 4-30VDC.

Thanks 305. I forgot about the specifications listed on page 9 and stand corrected
about the voltage range not being listed in the Instruction Manual. The voltage range
of the FS-SVT01 is 4-30 V DC.
Well I can tell you that 4s makes smoke on the sensor...
Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RE: question about FS-iT4 firmware

Nice put I also wrote them about theese issues but not as fancy that you did. I hope that we get an descent answer[. regards Trollet QUOTE=CaptPat;12228155]Thanks, I'll post on the other forum as well - here's what I sent to [email protected]:

-----------------------------------------------
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: question about FS-iT4 firmware...
Importance: High

Hi – I just tried out the FS-iT4 – I think you could make some minor firmware updates and have a really great product! Here’s what I have found:

Section 17-06 of the manual – Steering mix: This set of 4 modes needs to be updated to support REAL 4Wheel Steering (for Axial Wraith for instance) – here’s what is needed:
- Front Steer – current programming controls CH1 on front wheels, but Ch3 is NOT CENTERED!! It seems CH3 is driven to either -100 or 100% (full one direction) – CH3 should be centered, and there should be a “center trim” JUST FOR THIS Front Steer mode – for both CH1 and CH3, and also a CH1 End point Adjustment and Reverse for this mode only. (this could be a “subscreen” programming option).
- Rear Steer – current programming uses Ch1 to control the REAR wheels, but Reversed… This is not good – CH3 is CONNECTED to the Rear Steering Servo for all of the other modes… This mode SHOULD cause CH1 to become CENTERED (with a specific trim adjustment underneath for this mode), and CH3 to respond to STEERING input (with end point, reversing, and center trim adjustments underneath specific to THIS steering mode) – see Mix1+Mix4 below for a “hack” with current firmware that does this.
- 4 Wheel Steer – this works correctly (reverse phase) – should have independent TRIM and EndPointAdjust (and reversing… for BOTH CH1 and CH3 specific to this mix mode (sub menu).
- Crab Steer – this also works correctly (same phase) – should also have independent TRIM and EndPointAdjust (and reversing… for BOTH CH1 and CH3 specific to this mix mode (sub menu).

You could allow each of these “modes” to be RENAMED.
You could SHOW the “Steering Mode” NAME on the MAIN SCREEN – that way we’d know immediately what steering mode is selected.
You could allow any of these steering modes to be ACTIVE/INACTIVE – an option in the “sub settings” – that way if all are inactive just use CH1==Steer, otherwise the steering mode cycles among the ACTIVE modes using the assigned SWITCH.
You could also allow the user to assign a “cycle order” to these modes - for instance using 0-5 as a priority where “0” means “always on”, 1-4 are the order in which the modes are cycled, and 5 means INACTIVE…

Together the above 4 modes support the complete set of steering modes needed for 4 Wheel Steering setups. – this could cause your Radio to become a VERY hot item in the market…
Additional notes:
I have “simulated” working 4 wheel steering using all 4 MIXES as follows:
Mix 1 is always on and acts to CENTER CH3 (Master channel: Steering, Slave Channel: CH3, Low side mix: 0, High side mix: 0, Offset: +100).
Mix 2 is assigned to SW2 (toggle) and provides "reverse phase" (4 WS primary mode) (Master channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Ch3, low side mix: -100, high side mix: -100, Offset: 0)
Mix 3 is assigned to SW3 (toggle) and provides "same phase" (crab steer) (Master Channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Ch3, low side mix: 100, high side mix: 100, offset: 0)
Mix 4 (out of Switches…) provides “rear steer” (Master Channel: Steering, Slave Channel: Steering, Low side mix: -100, high side mix: -100, Offset 0).

I am using SW1 for another function, so I need another SWITCH

Suggest: there should be more Switches – if you could update the firmware to make ANY of the current “trim” selectors available as SWITCHES that would be great – just assign them to “Toggle” functions – and just make the SOUNDS do “hi/low” for on/off indicators.

Suggest: When the MIX screen is selected, showing MIX1-4 on/off status, IF the user selects a SWITCH that Toggles a Mix State, the screen is NOT updated – the “correct” state is not shown until the screen is exited and re-entered – it would be really nice if the screen updated as soon as the switch controlling the mix state was toggled…

I could TEST firmware updates (beta) if you are interested in improving this radio significantly for 4Wheel Steering.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I was looking thru the Absima CR4T Manual and noticed that under "Scope Of Delivery" (AKA package contents) there is no Serial Bus Receiver included with the radio.

The batteries differ also. A CR4T is shipping with four AA NiMh batts instead of the single 1200mAh LiPo shipped with the FS-iT4.

Picture 5 on page 13 shows what looks like an FS-iR4 Rx so Absima owners can probably install a Serial Bus Receiver but the Manual never mentions the FS-SEV01. I guess we won't know until someone tries ???
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new radio and am thinking about going this route, how is the radio overall? My last radio was a Futaba 4k but I sold it just before taking a little break from the hobby, I like the idea of the Flysky but do not want a toy like radio. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.