Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Please Help! Don't want to burn my house down! >

Please Help! Don't want to burn my house down!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Help! Don't want to burn my house down!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Please Help! Don't want to burn my house down!

I recently got (2) Losi 2s Lipos with a crawler I bought off this forum and had to change all the connections on them because my charger (brand new Thunder AC6) did not have the right adapters.

---I changed the original EC3's to 4mm bullets which I know I did correctly.

The part I am not sure of is the balance connectors. I changed the original ones on the Losi lipos (forgot the specific name of them) over to 2S 3-Pin JST-XH and I think I might have the balance wires mixed up.

---I plugged the Balance connector into the board and a small puff of smoke came from the board and the copper band/wire linking the #1 wire (black, at the top of the board) to the 2s balance connector popped out from the board and snapped.

---When I changed balance connectors to the JST's I kept all the wires in the same slots.

---Should I have switched the two outer wires so when connected to the balance board the red wire would be toward the bottom connecting with the #3 wire on the balance board (the only red wire on the board)?

I had it like this and got the puff of smoke.

Should I switch the outer wires around so the red and the black line up with the wires going to the board like this?: Seems like a dumb question but I don't want to fry another balance board.

Please Help I am new to this and switching out the balance connectors on these Lipo's seems to be a little over my head. Especially since I have never used Lipo's before.

Thanks

Last edited by joe226; 01-12-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added pics, more info
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wire #1 is your ground.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your black and red wired are backwards. https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...ce-connectors/
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Tech Rookie

So I am guessing that I should leave the middle wire alone since it was in the middle of the old connector and switch the 2 outer wires.

----Is this correct?

----Does the middle wire serve a purpose?

I read the link above, but it really didn't specifically cover this. He says he's not going to get into the specific wiring differences between the connectors.

I want to get this right so I don't ruin another balancing board. Anyone know where to get a new balancing board for the Thunder AC6?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joe226
So I am guessing that I should leave the middle wire alone since it was in the middle of the old connector and switch the 2 outer wires.

----Is this correct? Probably yes, but I would make sure and use a volt meter

----Does the middle wire serve a purpose? That connects to the link between the 2 cells of the battery. It is necessary for balancing them.

I want to get this right so I don't ruin another balancing board. Anyone know where to get a new balancing board for the Thunder AC6? Any 6cell jst-xh balancing board will work.
Answers in bold.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

You know nothing of what you're doing but you decide to just go swapping connectors. What you should have done was BUY THE PROPER SET OF BALANCE BOARDS. You can't screw around with lipo's clown!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
You know nothing of what you're doing but you decide to just go swapping connectors. What you should have done was BUY THE PROPER SET OF BALANCE BOARDS. You can't screw around with lipo's clown!

100% BS. i was once a noobie with lipo's like ALL of us at one point. I decided to rebuild a 4S that had a cell drop on it. Did i get scared and go BUY a new pack. NO I Screwed around with how to separate the cells and how to unsolder that Ungodly solder they use and managed to make a perfectly good 3S 5000 Out of a 4S.

I also made a balance boo boo a while back

Left a ThunderPower balance board in line when i plugged in a JST lead further up line....Smokes the balance wires and luckily i was quick enough to disconnect before anything else happened. Lesson Learned...One board at a time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you have a quality charger it will sense reverse polarity on the ports as well as an incorrect balance board or bad balance connector. My Podigy Duo 620 does this.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by joe226

----Is this correct?

----Does the middle wire serve a purpose?

I read the link above, but it really didn't specifically cover this. He says he's not going to get into the specific wiring differences between the connectors.

I want to get this right so I don't ruin another balancing board. Anyone know where to get a new balancing board for the Thunder AC6?

Yes that is correct switch those two wires. Don't worry about what other people say about messing with Lipos. At least your not a puss and have the balls to try unlike this other guy.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Integra - Good for you...maybe you should make a side business out of it.

EricW - Like you state "if you have a quality charger" Most people don't understand the need for a high quality charger over the cheap junk that they have.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by huzzler
Don't worry about what other people say about messing with Lipos. At least your not a puss and have the balls to try unlike this other guy.
Not into burning my house down. I educate myself before doing things I know nothing about.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Integra - Good for you...maybe you should make a side business out of it.

EricW - Like you state "if you have a quality charger" Most people don't understand the need for a high quality charger over the cheap junk that they have.
Not into burning my house down. I educate myself before doing things I know nothing about.
Why are you trolling this thread? This is a helpfull forum. No need for name calling and irritating others. Just move along. PS, you need to educate yourself with some manners.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ultimately they just have to be wired like this. I've seen many colors backward, and numbers reversed and balance boards reversed from std.

MY std is to start at the neg most side and call that cell #1 and pin #1. This is pretty much the standard on most all packs and chargers and boards. This is also the black wire.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html Hit 2s and show balance wire hook-up.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One side suggestion I have is always check new lipos with a DVM to make sure they are wired correctly before connecting them to a charger. I actually got a lipo once from HobbyKing that had the balance wires reversed. Looked correct on balance plug but the wires were soldered opposite of what they should have been on the pack. Only way I knew about it is I connected to to my little cell checker before trying to charge it the first time. After that, I make sure to use the cell checker first on any lipo I buy.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kcobra
One side suggestion I have is always check new lipos with a DVM to make sure they are wired correctly before connecting them to a charger. I actually got a lipo once from HobbyKing that had the balance wires reversed. Looked correct on balance plug but the wires were soldered opposite of what they should have been on the pack. Only way I knew about it is I connected to to my little cell checker before trying to charge it the first time. After that, I make sure to use the cell checker first on any lipo I buy.
That sounds like a good idea. I just picked one up off of Ebay. Wouldn't have known balance checkers even existed if it wasn't for this forum.

Thanks to everyone else for being extremely informative and helpful.

I kinda figured I would get some negative responses considering the title of the thread. Didn't really think I was going to burn my house down, I just wanted to be sure of what I was doing. These days you sometimes have to use a catchy title to get people interested in otherwise boring threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.