Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPEKTRUM DX4S (NEW)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody found a workaround yet to get the new version DX4S to bind to older SR300's...? There must be a way! Horizon/Spektrum guys should be reading these posts...
Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lomdel
Anybody found a workaround yet to get the new version DX4S to bind to older SR300's...? There must be a way! Horizon/Spektrum guys should be reading these posts...
I dont understand how they can get away with advertising backward compatibility and then have it not actually work? Seriously people?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arik434
I dont understand how they can get away with advertising backward compatibility and then have it not actually work? Seriously people?
Someone at my local track said "why would you want anything other than DSMR anyway?"

Looking at the new DX6R, which offers telemetry and new receiver compatibility makes me wonder if the latest firmware for previous radios was designed to make them less desirable and therefor give people a reason to upgrade. Spektrum/Horizon blamed the Feds for the new change, something about multiple frequency hoping technologies wasn't approved and therefor Spektrum had to pick on method per radio so they went DSMR and fully stopped supporting dsm and dsm2 for surface radios. I'm wiling to bet that air radios are next...no more DSM2 support
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It says right in the description on the Spektrum DX6R page that it is backwards compatible with DSM2. At least as far as Spektrum own words- only DSM won't be compatible.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Based solely on the justification for removing DSM2 from the DX4S controller, I can't believe DSM2 would work on the DX6R. If it is true that they were forced to stop supporting the older technology on all of their current products, then how can the new products be allowed to support the old technology?

The employee I talked to repeated the same information I found online, which is that the decision to only provide one type of protocol per radio was a mandate by the FCC. Spektrum chose DSMR because it was the latest and best.

Just looked on the Spektrum website and it says DSMR only.
Attached Thumbnails SPEKTRUM DX4S (NEW)-image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I thought I read that a later firmware version for the DX4R made it backwards compatible again?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Weird?!, I just looked n the DX4S page of Spektrums site it says it is compatible with DSM2 andDSM2r under the Key Features list. Also on the DX6R thread, reps have stated that that radio is compatible with DSM2 and DSMr.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

When was this update released? I bought my ready almost 6 months ago and never updated the firmware. So I guess it's not a good idea since I have an sr300
Old 02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

My DX4S was purchased during the Christmas time special promotions and it was version R2.1. The latest version you can find online is R1.2 (at least the last time I checked). Version R2.1 was created with the sole purpose of blocking DSM and DSM2 so only DSMR was functional. That information was provided by Horizon Hobby Tech support. They weren't overly happy with the FCC mandate either.

That said, I don't have a DX6R (yet) but I would definitely be more interested if it supported DSM2 as well. I'm wondering if the FCC told Spektrum NOT to allow DSM and it was due to the European guidelines that they opted to block DSM2 on all radios. If that's true, then it stands to reason why the new DX6R would support DSM2 and DSMR if they produced a version specifically designed for the US market...meaning it couldn't be sold in Europe due to their stricter guidelines?

This is all speculation so I'd like to hear directly from Horizon/Spektrum on this issue. Based on my screen post above, I'm curious why they didn't mention DSM2 in the Modulation section if it truly was supported???
Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Just wanna give an update on the durability of this radio. I busted my ass pretty bad lol. I fell right on the controller and the only thing that happened was the batter case popped off and cracked one of my batteries. No biggie. I thought I would have at least broke the steering wheel. The battery broke did crack a lil though which I was bummed cause it was one of those expensive energizer lithium batteries that costs ten bucks for a 4 pack. But it still work. And to add those lithium energizer lithium batteries have held up well I've got a few hours on it and it still hold around 6.5 volts give or take. But when they do go I'll go with the actual spektrum Lipo battery
Old 03-12-2016, 05:56 PM

I can't seem to get the download link for the latest firmware. Can someone tell me what version it is? I just want to make sure mine is at least up-to-date. If not, I'll give them a call to figure out how to get the download link.

As for LiPo batteries for the DX4S, I went with this option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjKstiWpuc

I bought these items on eBay:
Battery - http://www.ebay.com/itm/191487245484...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
JST connectors - http://www.ebay.com/itm/400982507086...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I run out of power, I just reach in the bag for the other one and swap out.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

i bought a dx4s online. I am upgrading from the hobbypartz gt3b. this will be my first good quality remote.

i dont like the idea of paying for 100 dollars or so for the receivers though. I am used to the 8 dollar ones. i think i will just use this remote in my best cars and keep the gt3b for the ones i use less frequently.

is this one compatible with the remote, its a lot cheaper and i really dont need 4 channels
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...FU07gQodmtIGbQ
Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM

It is. I own a few myself. In fact, if you don't need 4 channels and don't mind DSM2 (no noticeable difference in latency), you can get those for even cheaper. Just beware of clones if you don't want to buy those. I also like the SR415's for cheap(est) 4-channel.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys,

switched from the DX4C to the DX4S because it came with 4 receivers I needed more, so I nearly got the DX4s for 50bucks... BUT:

In my opinion the throttle spring is way to loose/weak (whatever). On pricier radios you can change the force you need to push/pull the throtlle stick. Due to thats not an option here:
Is there any way I can adjust it? New spring? Workaround?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Anyone have news about DX4S with firmware R 1.2 works with SR3300T?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.