Too much power ?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Too much power ?

OK, I have a Tekin Pro4 4600kV motor in a Durango DESC410R and the track I will be racing on this winter wont let me use all the power. Is it better to limit the throttle EPA or cut down the power on the ESC like to 60% or so ? I can't limit my throttle finger....lol..WOT
Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would say instead of cutting back on the EPA just manage the the pull on the throttle, smooth and easy and not always looking to get it wide open. This will do nothing to help with traction as a brushless motor is instant torque from the low RPM all the way up unlike a nitro or gas motor that has to build torque up in the RPM range.

Limiting the power can help keep some strain off the battery if you are using a lot of motor if you manage in terms of punch control or current limiter. But that is not the same as the EPA or limiting throttle in terms of top end speed at all. It will help out a lot if you are having traction issues though.

What ESC are you using? Different ones will have different terminology for the same feature (ie punch control / current limiter).

Some sample reading:

http://www.teamtekin.com/faq.html#4

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo....html#monster1
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
OK, I have a Tekin Pro4 4600kV motor in a Durango DESC410R and the track I will be racing on this winter wont let me use all the power. Is it better to limit the throttle EPA or cut down the power on the ESC like to 60% or so ? I can't limit my throttle finger....lol..WOT
Thanks
Drop some teeth on the pinion and gear it down?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have a Mamba Max Pro, and have it limited to 60%.
If I drop a few teeth then it will have too much throttle.
Just need to watch my lead foot....eh finger!
Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Nearly everyone, including almost everyone at the sharp end of the field in 4wd SC by me runs with the radio epa at less than 100%. I used a 4.5 550 and ran mine between 80-95% percent depending on track layout and available traction on any given night. The 4pole guys are generally in the 75-85% range. The ones that aren't are easily spotted - picking up their trucks off the end of the track...

Gearing down actually tends to increase wheelspin and if you gear down so far as to acutally be able to use full throttle more, increases heat because then you're driving around at full throttle all the time.