Novak help needed

Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 363 (100%+)
Default Novak help needed

I have tried to find any thread or any posts regarding Novak speedo's but have had no luck.I will post the problem and hope someone can give me some advise. A buddy of mine bought the sc combo with a 4.5 550 can motor for 4x4 sc and had issues with the speedo after two weekends running it. He returned it to Novak and they sent him a new one sealed in the box,he decided to keep the motor but sell the speedo so I bought it from him for 100 bucks. I kept it in my pit box until I needed it...so when time came I put it in my 0fna 10sc and ran it for two weekends.I race twice a month, I used the 13 tooth mod -1 pinion that is recomended by Novak on their site and the truck ran great. Great until the third weekend racing when it just stopped running.I brought it back to the pits and re-set it and binded it and made sure my glitch buster was on cause I was using a digital servo.After programing it it would steer but the wheels would not turn when I hit the gas. I spun the wheels by hand while holding the trigger and the motor came to life and the wheels spun like they should. If its rolling on the track its fine and has plenty of power but if it comes to a complete stop...it needs to be pushed to go,almost like when using a brushed motor that has dirty brushes. The motor is a speed passion 4.5 turn 550 can motor and I thought that it was the motor issue but when I put in my HobbyWing speed control it worked fine and I finished the race weekend with no other issue.Therefor I figured it was not a motor issue. I called Novak and was told that they cant do anything other than sell me another for 75 bucks if I send them this one back.They claim they dont do repairs and there is nothing they can do. I found that weird cause I always had good experience with Novak but now I got the impression that they dont care.They even had a tech guy talk to me and tell me that its not cost effective for them to diagnose the speedo's. But they do sell refurbished ones on their site...so whats the deal ? Is this something that anyone has had happen to them? is there a fix for it without sending it in? I dont want to pay another 75 only to be told that same thing next time. Also I though of getting it and selling it but how much can I sell it for since they go for about 90 on rc tech. Am I stuck with a paperweight with wires coming out of it ? Any help will sure be appreciated,thanks Pete.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter george View Post
I have tried to find any thread or any posts regarding Novak speedo's but have had no luck.I will post the problem and hope someone can give me some advise. A buddy of mine bought the sc combo with a 4.5 550 can motor for 4x4 sc and had issues with the speedo after two weekends running it. He returned it to Novak and they sent him a new one sealed in the box,he decided to keep the motor but sell the speedo so I bought it from him for 100 bucks. I kept it in my pit box until I needed it...so when time came I put it in my 0fna 10sc and ran it for two weekends.I race twice a month, I used the 13 tooth mod -1 pinion that is recomended by Novak on their site and the truck ran great. Great until the third weekend racing when it just stopped running.I brought it back to the pits and re-set it and binded it and made sure my glitch buster was on cause I was using a digital servo.After programing it it would steer but the wheels would not turn when I hit the gas. I spun the wheels by hand while holding the trigger and the motor came to life and the wheels spun like they should. If its rolling on the track its fine and has plenty of power but if it comes to a complete stop...it needs to be pushed to go,almost like when using a brushed motor that has dirty brushes. The motor is a speed passion 4.5 turn 550 can motor and I thought that it was the motor issue but when I put in my HobbyWing speed control it worked fine and I finished the race weekend with no other issue.Therefor I figured it was not a motor issue. I called Novak and was told that they cant do anything other than sell me another for 75 bucks if I send them this one back.They claim they dont do repairs and there is nothing they can do. I found that weird cause I always had good experience with Novak but now I got the impression that they dont care.They even had a tech guy talk to me and tell me that its not cost effective for them to diagnose the speedo's. But they do sell refurbished ones on their site...so whats the deal ? Is this something that anyone has had happen to them? is there a fix for it without sending it in? I dont want to pay another 75 only to be told that same thing next time. Also I though of getting it and selling it but how much can I sell it for since they go for about 90 on rc tech. Am I stuck with a paperweight with wires coming out of it ? Any help will sure be appreciated,thanks Pete.
Is it the havok sc ?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Novak has the best service in the industry. I've sent them stuff back that I flat out broke or burnt up and they have replaced it no questions asked. Now, you've got a 2nd hand product with not receipt or warranty? You might be in a different situation. Email Charlie. Let him know what's what - do you have a reciept or the return invoice they include when they send it back on repair?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What model speed controller. The likely reason they sell refurbished ones is that your model may be older and off the current production list. I say use the trade in program and if possible get a newer speedo from their lineup. Will Most likely be more reliable too for that matter. All speedo company's rarely fix damaged speedos, they end up in a heap of junked speedos and a replacement is sent out if available. Grand truck is right because of your situation being second hand and all. Novak is really good and the guy to talk to is Charlie.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Get your friend to send it back since they have the repair record for him . I had the same problem with a havok 3s system the 3rd time i sent it in I sold it when I got it back .
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Peter,
Sorry to hear your having problems with your Novak ESC.
From the way your descibing it, sounds like the ESC just simply went bad. It happens to the best of us.
The only problem I see in your senerio is that you bought it from a buddy, which means you didnt get the 120 warranty. My suggestion would be to have your buddy send it back for you and have it warranty/serviced.
I have had many dealings with Novak and they have always been great and have one of the best customer service dept. around.
Try shooting an email to Charlie... he's the Man!

[email protected]
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 229 (100%+)

I had the same issue with a Oval Spec. ESC. Ran fine the first 6-7 minutes and then needed a push start too. Sent it back with the receipt and they sent me a new one. Then sold it. Ditto on e-mailing charlie.
([email protected]) Have your buddy do it for you.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mojoman81 View Post
Is it the havok sc ?
Havoc pro sc
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks to all who took the time to respond, gonna try to get my buddy to send it back.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks to all who took the time to respond, gonna try to get my buddy to send it back.
Your sensor board on the motor could be bad. If you remove the timing cover, what color is the board? If it is Orange it there was a bad batch of these. The new ones are green and have a gasket also. Problem is a little oil from bearing gets on sensor board and creates problem you are describing.

Novak does have outstanding customer service. They truly stand behind what they sell.

Check your PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

some one pm'ed me that you should not use Speed Passion motors with Novak speed controls.....is that a fact ?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

some one pm'ed me that you should not use Speed Passion motors with Novak speed controls.....is that a fact ?
You can use any sensored motor with the Novak Esc. The only motor that gives problem is the Pro4 if you don't have a newer updated board. I use to run nothing but Novak, from my issues I've only had one Esc go bad another thing to check is sensor wire I've had a few Novak sensors wire go bad, as soon as I plugged a new one in all my problems went away. So it's always good to test that or carry a spare.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mxer59 View Post
You can use any sensored motor with the Novak Esc. The only motor that gives problem is the Pro4 if you don't have a newer updated board. I use to run nothing but Novak, from my issues I've only had one Esc go bad another thing to check is sensor wire I've had a few Novak sensors wire go bad, as soon as I plugged a new one in all my problems went away. So it's always good to test that or carry a spare.
thanks for taking the time,its a silly thing but sometimes the sensor wire is to blame. I sure do appreciate all the responses from all who took the time.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the Exact same issue on a NEW Novak Activ8 ESC running their 1950KV ballistic 8 motor.

Was running its third battery ever, took it out and it stopped after 15 mins.

The car would only move if i Pushed it.

Peter George does your ESC have a hall effect sensor diagnostic test? I tested mine and everything checks out ok.

Have you also noticed that if you stay on the throttle (even if its not moving), the ESC error LEDs, come up blinking the error code for Motor Rotation Blocked? Mine does that after a few seconds.

Lucky for you, your in USA, I'm in Australia.... Would Novak honour my warranty? I bought mine from Amainhobbies.

Last edited by Forgetful_Duck; 10-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck View Post
I have the Exact same issue on a NEW Novak Activ8 ESC running their 1950KV ballistic 8 motor.

Was running the first battery ever, took it out and it stopped after 15 mins.

The car would only move if i Pushed it.

Peter George does your ESC have a hall effect sensor diagnostic test? I tested mine and everything checks out ok.

Have you also noticed that if you stay on the throttle (even if its not moving), the ESC error LEDs, come up blinking the error code for Motor Rotation Blocked? Mine does that after a few seconds.

Lucky for you, your in USA, I'm in Australia.... Would Novak honour my warranty? I bought mine from Amainhobbies.
I think I am screwed cause they wont do anything other than charge me another 75 bucks to just exchange it. I tried talking to them an showed them pictures of it (looks like it just came out of the box) but they just act like robots telling me that ''that's our policy sir''. Its a shame cause a while back when some one started a thread saying how Novak is not a good company....I would scold the guy and defend them saying how I never had issues and always had great customer service.I do believe that Bob Novak did do a lot for our hobby and helped bring it along since the old days but now it seems that I will be moving on to HobbyWing or Speed Passion.I am going to email one more guy at Novak and see if I get any help. For the record I am not bashing Novak,I have had many speed controls from them ....even have a brushed Dually that still works great amazingly.Up until now I would swear by their customer service but it appears that they had a personnel change and those people just dont care.I just wanted to find out if anyone else had the same issue and if there was a quick fix for it. It is unethical for me to sell it so it just will go in the trash if nothing is done about it. Thanks again to all those who responded.