Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can i discharge Unbalanced lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Can i discharge Unbalanced lipos?

Ok guys, i'm freaking out here. Its the first time my lipos have ever been unbalanced. Basically this is what happened. My 2s lipo only showed one cell, and didn't show the other one. I could still charge it, but can't balance charge. I noticed that the balance connector on the lipo was hanging. So i cut the wires, and soldered it onto my balance adapters. Those adapters were made just to lengthen the wire so they were the same. Once i got done, i checked my charger. The cell's were around 1.85V and the other one was around 5.10V. OMG I'm freaking out. I searched on google, and it said something about discharging it and putting it into salt water for a few days. But is it ok to discharge it with my charger. I'm pretty scared lol. Any ideas? Also, the battery was at storage voltage when that happened.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by I Wheelie A LOT
Ok guys, i'm freaking out here. Its the first time my lipos have ever been unbalanced. Basically this is what happened. My 2s lipo only showed one cell, and didn't show the other one. I could still charge it, but can't balance charge. I noticed that the balance connector on the lipo was hanging. So i cut the wires, and soldered it onto my balance adapters. Those adapters were made just to lengthen the wire so they were the same. Once i got done, i checked my charger. The cell's were around 1.85V and the other one was around 5.10V. OMG I'm freaking out. I searched on google, and it said something about discharging it and putting it into salt water for a few days. But is it ok to discharge it with my charger. I'm pretty scared lol. Any ideas? Also, the battery was at storage voltage when that happened.

Odd. Even if the cell is 1.85 might be dead. But for the other to be 5 is impossible.
Check the sequence of the conenctions 0 - 3.7 - 7.4V
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Pretty weird. I'm not trolling you or anything. I've already resoldered the wires and see if that worked, but it didn't. Heres a picture.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by I Wheelie A LOT
Pretty weird. I'm not trolling you or anything. I've already resoldered the wires and see if that worked, but it didn't. Heres a picture.
very very odd.
Unless the voltages are correct and charger is reading incorrect??????
5V in a lipo and it should blow
Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Put the battery on a friends charger and see where it at. Im saying this to eliminate your charger. If their charger says the same thing, then the battery is bad, if not, then its your charger..
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyG
Put the battery on a friends charger and see where it at. Im saying this to eliminate your charger. If their charger says the same thing, then the battery is bad, if not, then its your charger..
agree. 5.01V they charger should never allow that.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REVOJohn
agree. 5.01V they charger should never allow that.
It would if he tried to charge it without the balance lead, and the charger had no idea about the bad cell. 5.10+1.85=6.95 or 3.47V/cell
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Some chargers have a "monitor" option, where it will monitor the battery and see where the voltage is per cell. So that way, its not trying to charge it, just reading voltage.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Captain
It would if he tried to charge it without the balance lead, and the charger had no idea about the bad cell. 5.10+1.85=6.95 or 3.47V/cell

if that was the case then that would be a terribly designed charger
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REVOJohn
if that was the case then that would be a terribly designed charger
My 2s lipo only showed one cell, and didn't show the other one. I could still charge it, but can't balance charge. I noticed that the balance connector on the lipo was hanging.
The way I figure is he tried to charge the pack without the balance lead (because it was broken) and didnt know it had a bad cell in it. The charger, without the balance lead, doesnt know it has a bad cell either, and continues to charge the pack up to 8.4V.

Discharge the pack using a light bulb outside until the bulb goes out, then let it soak in some salt water for a couple days and toss in the trash.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've seen a couple batteries where the balance wires or connector has an issue and it doesn't read correctly. I had a thunderpower battery like this. One of the little balance wires broke inside the case and it would read strange voltages if you hooked up the balance connector.

Even on my good batteries, if I plug only my balance connector into my charger, but not the charge lead, it will show a set of voltages like you have posted.

Is the battery puffed up?

It might actually be ok, but just won't let you balance charge. You would definitely want to keep a closer eye on it, but it might just be giving you false readings due to a bad connection in the balance wires, or the wires being in the wrong order.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

A LiPo cell over 4.5V would've bloated up and/or burst into flames. It's an error with the balancing wires, you probably messed up the order.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry for the late response, totally forgot all about this thread. Anyways, the problem wasn't the charger's fault. I have two chargers, and they both read the same thing. I opened up the lipo, and i found a tiny broken off balance wire. I soldered that in place, and it's as good as new again!