Search
Like Tree2Likes

Hobbywing Xerun V3

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sgp-chris
Hi guys,

I really hope you can help shed some light on this problem I'm having.

I'm new to electric touring cars (been running nitro alot), so it's possible that I can make every rookie mistake out there.

I have a V3.1 straight out the box, with no firmware updates (wanted to keep it simple at first) I'm running a SpeedPassion 17.5 V3 motor in Blinky mode (profile 2 if I remember correctly on the ESC)

When I run the car, it can do x amount of laps with no issues (17 last night) and then it begins to not respond to my throttle input. It doesn't matter if it sits on the track or I'm holding it in the air. I give it some throttle a couple of times, and then there is no response. I then have to turn the wheels manually to get it going again.

The motor and ESC is not getting too hot and my FDR is 4.34:1

Is it a firmware issue?
Motor issue?
Sensor issue?
Something else?

I am totally lost, and so was the people I had looking at it last night.

I hope you can give some advice on how to solve this problem

Sensor issue could be your sensor cable or the sensor board on the motor.I know of someone else that had the same issue and the motor was new and it was a sp motor
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Sensor issue could be your sensor cable or the sensor board on the motor.I know of someone else that had the same issue and the motor was new and it was a sp motor

I tried changing the sensor cable, it didn't help. I also tried another SP motor with the same results....
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had a similar problem. Tried two different motors. Turns out both motors had bad sensor boards. Once I changed them everything was fine.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hyujmn
I had a similar problem. Tried two different motors. Turns out both motors had bad sensor boards. Once I changed them everything was fine.
I just tried a third SP motor. Brand new out of the box, and I had the same issues. 3 different sensor cables, and nothing helped.

Tried connecting the esc with my lcd program box, and it wouldn't connect. Tried to connect thru my laptop, and still nothing...

Then I tried connecting my Justock esc with the lcd box, and also the laptop. And it worked perfectly...

Something must be wrong inside the V3.1 esc...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

I just tried a third SP motor. Brand new out of the box, and I had the same issues. 3 different sensor cables, and nothing helped.

Tried connecting the esc with my lcd program box, and it wouldn't connect. Tried to connect thru my laptop, and still nothing...

Then I tried connecting my Justock esc with the lcd box, and also the laptop. And it worked perfectly...

Something must be wrong inside the V3.1 esc...

Are you using the programming port to connect ? Or the rx cable .Also remember you will need to have your radio on and no signal input or the rx cable removed because the rx takes precedant over the programming port
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

thank you very much COBRA RACING (ANGELO ECONOMOU)

for your suport for me hw v.3.1 with setups i've had a lot esc but the suport was never as good as hw thank you very much for that

King regards peter
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Are you using the programming port to connect ? Or the rx cable .Also remember you will need to have your radio on and no signal input or the rx cable removed because the rx takes precedant over the programming port
I was using the RX cable to connect both esc's. It work ed on the JUstock, but not the V3.1
Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was using the RX cable to connect both esc's. It work ed on the JUstock, but not the V3.1
On the v3 you need to connect via the programming port. Connecting via the rx cable does nothing.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by peter.
thank you very much COBRA RACING (ANGELO ECONOMOU)

for your suport for me hw v.3.1 with setups i've had a lot esc but the suport was never as good as hw thank you very much for that

King regards peter

Your welcome anytime
Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
On the v3 you need to connect via the programming port. Conneting via the rx cable does nothing.
Well that explains ALOT! Thank you, I will try that when I get home. I uset the RX cable because it was show in the program box manual...

I am hoping that a firmware upgrade is the solution...
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was that person.
I bought the SP 13.5 as a stopgap due to my Mach2 letting the smoke out. the SP now only has about 20min run time on it - if that. running 3.7fdr and only temping at 65deg.

I would get maybe 2 laps before the motor would cog down low and behave as if in a boosted profile (half power for 2sec then normal - in blinky profile). Easy looking as if it was a ESC issue. Ended up trying another reedy and the problem went away.

I just wanted to say thank you to Angelo again. Fantastic and quick support for an issue that had nothing to do with the ESC (v3.1)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Monsta
I was that person.
I bought the SP 13.5 as a stopgap due to my Mach2 letting the smoke out. the SP now only has about 20min run time on it - if that. running 3.7fdr and only temping at 65deg.

I would get maybe 2 laps before the motor would cog down low and behave as if in a boosted profile (half power for 2sec then normal - in blinky profile). Easy looking as if it was a ESC issue. Ended up trying another reedy and the problem went away.

I just wanted to say thank you to Angelo again. Fantastic and quick support for an issue that had nothing to do with the ESC (v3.1)
Its my job so your welcomeNow go out there and have fun lots of it.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Well that explains ALOT! Thank you, I will try that when I get home. I uset the RX cable because it was show in the program box manual...

I am hoping that a firmware upgrade is the solution...
My current firmware is V3.1_121129_Beta

Is that okay, or should I upgrade to something else???

EDIT: Next piece to the puzzle. I've again tried 2 different SP motors, and 3 sensor wires. When I give it full throttle and let go again, the motor will only stop working when it stops at a certain point. I watched the set screw on the pinion, and it would only refuse to rev again when it stopped at the exact same angle of rotation. I switched motor, and it was the same result with both. But the rotation angle was different between the motors.

If it stopped at any otner point of rotation, I could rev it again with no issues.

Does this mean I have a sensor problem inside the esc? Changing wires didn't help the issue.

It also sounds abit rough when it runs. Not like when it runs completely withpout a sensor, but something in between. It's not a nice smooth sound. It goes for both motors.

Last edited by sgp-chris; 02-11-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

My current firmware is V3.1_121129_Beta

Is that okay, or should I upgrade to something else???

EDIT: Next piece to the puzzle. I've again tried 2 different SP motors, and 3 sensor wires. When I give it full throttle and let go again, the motor will only stop working when it stops at a certain point. I watched the set screw on the pinion, and it would only refuse to rev again when it stopped at the exact same angle of rotation. I switched motor, and it was the same result with both. But the rotation angle was different between the motors.

If it stopped at any otner point of rotation, I could rev it again with no issues.

Does this mean I have a sensor problem inside the esc? Changing wires didn't help the issue.

It also sounds abit rough when it runs. Not like when it runs completely withpout a sensor, but something in between. It's not a nice smooth sound. It goes for both motors.
The software is correct.

It sounds more like a batch of faulty motors from sp .It is a sensor board issue the other issue could be that one of the phases on the esc is damaged but i dout it .

Please run a simple test for me pull out the sensor cable and let me know if it runs properly without the cable attached
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

The software is correct.

It sounds more like a batch of faulty motors from sp .It is a sensor board issue the other issue could be that one of the phases on the esc is damaged but i dout it .

Please run a simple test for me pull out the sensor cable and let me know if it runs properly without the cable attached
I don't think it's a bad batch of motors. There are aproximately 6 months between the 2, I just havent used one of them before now. They are also not the same turn (13.5 and 17.5) But I hope youre right, it would be a easier fix for sure

It can't be something to do with the esc getting too hot while soldering New wires on it? I removed all the coloured ones, and wired it up again with all black wires. The coloured ones where a pain in the butt to get off... :/

I will do the test when I get home

EDIT: I did the test you afsked me 2, and the motor runs fine without the sensor cable. A little rough, but no stops.

I first attached the sensor to the motor, gave it some throttle to verify where the motor stops. I did that a handfull of times, and it was the same spot each time. I then removed the sensor cable while the motor was in the "stuck" position, and it wasn't stuck any more. I did that a bunch of times aswell, and there where no issue when the sensor was out of the equation...

ESC sensor problem???

Last edited by sgp-chris; 02-11-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.