Lipo storage?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
If you routinely do that, may want to consider putting the lipos in a ziploc bag and in the refrigerator - like the veg crisper and let them sit at 38-40F. You need to pull hem out ~24hrs before needing them to let them come back to room temp - leave them in ziploc so any condensation will be on outside of bag, not inside the lipos.

I've been away due to work and mine are sitting in a frig atm. The colder temps seems to suspend lipo aging process. Typically, 3yrs is about the age where lipo media begins to show signs of degrading.
+1, My next pack I will, I never planned on keeping this one that long ( I looked up the purchase date of Feb. 09).
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Initiate

heard people recommend put in freezer, does that help?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Initiate

anyone tried?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Master

Lipos should not be frozen

Cheers
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Handling your lipo's well is indeed lengthening the life span but i am not sure about the refrigerator thing. It might seem that it works but there is no scientific explaination for that. Basically if you let a lipo sit at 20% it should be fine.
It'll age anyway.
BTW, nice that you can keep using it for 3 years. I never had mine that long thought. Also depends what you do with it. It makes a difference if you use a lipo in a simple car or a complex 3d helicopter.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flatspin
heard people recommend put in freezer, does that help?
Not in a freezer, just a fridge.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sitting at low voltage at room temp there is still a measurable self discharge long term. When you put them in frig at 38 - 40F, it is no longer measurable. Details have been on RC Groups. This is partly the reason bigger lipo companies use refrigerated storage.

I don't do this for week to week storage, but for anything that will be months or more. My life is pretty much on hold until years end - I'm working 2 full time jobs and a part time job (long story) so I have no time for anything, much less things rc. All my lipos are in frig - checked all voltages 3 months ago when my job(s) situation changed and they read the same now as they did then, I checked them 2 weeks ago.

Freezer is going to far, you don't want to get the media that cold.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcheliguru
It makes a difference if you use a lipo in a simple car or a complex 3d helicopter.
I am glad the car is simple to you. lol