Wiki Posts
Search

Mini-Z AWD mod to FlySky 2.4 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mini-Z AWD mod to FlySky 2.4 Radio

Hi Everybody,

I would like to mod my Mini-Z AWD to use FlySky 2.4 radio. Since I am having a perfect condition KO Mars EX-I 2000 limited edition, and don't want to spend much on the KO mini-z ASF module, which "only" work for mini-z ...

and I have the following questions would like to ask:

1. I open the mini-z servo case and find 3 wires goto the pot, 2 to the servo motor, so how can I wire these 5 wires to my new receiver? Normally servo has only 3 wires

2. By pure guess and experience from yr guys, will the FlySky 2.4 has better/slower lattency time compare to my cheap Kyosho KT-18?

3. Which small size ESC, about 10A suit for the job? perfer brushless

4. Any brushless motor would fit stock mini-z motor case?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by koonyue; 11-14-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: word change
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Your plan is doable but challenging:

1) i suspect - 3 wires for the pot, 2 wires for the steering motor. So you will need to hack a working micro servo, get its pcb, wire the pot and motor to that pcb. Then you get your standard 3-wire connection

2) ....no idea

3&4) use this BL & motor option - http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB9594

You will need to modify a motor mount and a convert the pinion gear to accept a small motor shaft.

Last edited by Wile E Coyote; 11-14-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for quick reply

The brushless idea is too far, so if I take one small step first, just convert the radio to the new FlySky 2.4, and keep the stock ESC and motor, servo, would it work?

I have no idea how to just hack the radio part out of the mini-z all-in-one PCB

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have not seen any hack doing that route...because the signal of mini-z is entirely different from other 2.4Ghz tx. As such your isssue is more than just an issue of steering.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like a fun project, but it will perform noticably worse than the stock ASF board in my opinion. If you want straight line speed, then being able to go BL might be an improvement, but overall handling will be best with the ASF board.

To echo what Wile E already said:

1. Pull a servo control board out of another servo, hook the 5 wires from the mini-z servo motor/pot to the board, and then use the servo's 3 wire plug with your receiver.

2. KT-18 is likely lower latency. It'd be hard to beat the ASF board performance wise because it's a full digital setup end to end. Even if you pull the servo board from a nice digital micro servo, your receiver link is still likely to be slower

3. 10A should be plenty and you should definitely go BL

4. I'd go for a 12mm diameter can BL (i.e. the size for the losi micros). You could step up to the next size, 20mm diameter, but these are what go into 18th scale and would be pretty big/heavy for a mini-z. Probably wouldn't fit well in an AWD either.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koonyue
Thanks for quick reply

The brushless idea is too far, so if I take one small step first, just convert the radio to the new FlySky 2.4, and keep the stock ESC and motor, servo, would it work?

I have no idea how to just hack the radio part out of the mini-z all-in-one PCB

Thanks
Not worth it, replace the whole set of electronics if you're going to do it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

Just shop around my LHS last night, and almost no one is still selling brushed ESC ...

If go for brushless, my motor choice would be very limited ...

Finally I buy the KO-901SM module, work perfectly and response time even better then the KT-18

Also I think BL for mini-z can only good for straight, so it is wiser to go for a simple solution to make use my old beloved KO Mars

Thanks for all the advice !