Search
Like Tree2Likes

Smoothest 6.5T motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Don't know if its the smoothest but the Trackstar V.2 red can motor is for sure and runs cool but the cutouts on the can not sure if that's good outside with dry dirt.
I run a Trackstar V2 7.5t Its pretty smooth. I wonder if the OP has a radio adjustment wrong. positive throttle curve or something else. I can't remember the name of the setting but I had a friend with a Futaba 4px and it had some acceleration or something on the throttle channel. So you would just touch the throttle and it would take off like a rocket.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Those V2 TrackStar motors that a couple are recommending are surprisingly good. I originally bought some Turnigy TrackStar systems to use as "budget" setups but over time, a few have ended up in some of my tier one racecars, replacing much more expensive systems. For all out smoothness, which is likely highly subjective, I'd have to agree with mojotom and mikeyscott. I've got a few ORCA VX3 Esc's running ORCA VS3 motors and they are noticeably smoother regarding the powerband out of the box. A close runner up would be the Team Orion R10.1 running Orion VST2 motors. Unfortunately both of these systems are at the top of the price range. Are they $200 smoother than the TrackStar V2's? I personally don't think so. YMMV.
greener74 likes this.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The MurfDogg
This is correct. The smaller the rotor, the more air gap it will have between the rotor and stator. The bigger the air gap, the less torque the motor will have. Also, smaller rotor means less magnet. Less magnet equals less torque.

KV rating in RC Car sensored systems is irrelevant and is a means of falsely marketing the power output capabilities of a motor. Lower KV motors do not have smoother acceleration because of their KV ratings. The rotor is what dictates the feel of the motor. A 17.5 turn motor has many times more torque than does a 5.5 turn motor. However, to get the motors to run optimally, we run MUCH different gear ratios... 17.5 motors have lots of torque, so we gear them for Speed. Modified motors have minimal torque, but excellent top RPM, so we gear them for Torque.

Modified motors typically have a 12.5mm rotor on a 5mm shaft. This = 7.5mm of magnet on the rotor. This is done to make up for the torque lacking in the lower wind motors.

Spec (17.5, 13.5, 10.5) motors typically have a 12.3mm rotor on a 7.1mm shaft. This is 5.2mm of magnet. This is done to move the powerband of the motor more towards the RPM side, because of the extra torque created in a higher wind motor.

The power is in the rotor..... Modified rotors have 45% more magnet than SPEC rotors.

KV rating has absolutely nothing to do with how aggresive the bottom end of a motor is. There is no industry standard for rating the KV of a given motor. I can trick a 17.5 motor to read 3900kv on my equipment, and can detune a 5.5 to read 2500kv. Timing, air gap, rotor size, rotor length, rotor chemistry, shimming, stator design, wire diameter, wire insulation, wire resistance, Input voltage, ambient temperature, and humidity are all variables in motor KV.

ANY wind motor can be setup to be aggressive, and likewise, can be setup to feel smooth.

My recommendation: Find the company you think offers a product you are interested in, contact them, and ask for recommendations for your particular application and needs.

I suggest a 6.5 motor in a 4wd buggy, or a 7.5 if you run on a tight slick track. Less is more on low bite tracks...
You know what I've learned so much from you way to put everyone in check lmfao I'm definitely going to try one of your motors customer service has gone to shit with these big companies and I would love to buy my next motor from murfdog!!!!!! Thanks for ur knowledge

Last edited by Bigv; 12-18-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try replacing the bearings on the Trackstar V2, just saying. I hear they don't last long. Glad rto hear the info on the Orca as I just picked one up and may try it in my B5M.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

If I could awaken this thread back up; the Reedy M3 10.5 runs pretty smooth.....(?) What do you guys think?