Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there something Wrong with my LIPO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Is there something Wrong with my LIPO?

Take a look at this. I am new to LIPO batteries, I have run Nitro for 10 years. I had this battery in my Losi Strike and it discharged below safe voltage. I forced it to charge up and it started to swell. I stopped the charge and laid it on the shelf. This is what I found 2 days later.
Attached Thumbnails Is there something Wrong with my LIPO?-2010-11-18_17-15-23_146_stettler.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

your battery is toasted!! soak it in salt water for a day or so just to make sure it dont blow up then get rid of it. make sure you dont keep that battery indoors.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Naww...Thats how its supposed to look!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Naww...Thats how its supposed to look!
That's what I thought. Some good ol duct tape should hold it together.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I thought that's how all the Zippy packs came? You mean that's not normal

I know it's not a zippy
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Looks like you were lucky it didn't vent. Obviously, when you 'force' a low voltage lipo to charge, you're supposed to watch for swelling (typically called puffing) and immed stop at any point along the charge (the forced part or the lipo part) if you see if start to swell. Then take it outside somewhere it can't do any damage of it does indeed go ahead and vent/smoke.

From where you are now, it's time to dispose of this one. Harvest the connectors and use a auto 1157 tail light bulb to discharge it to zero volts outside. After 24hr or so, remove the bult, twist the wires together and toss it.

You should be using a lvc (low voltage cutoff) so this can't happen....
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Looks like you were lucky it didn't vent. Obviously, when you 'force' a low voltage lipo to charge, you're supposed to watch for swelling (typically called puffing) and immed stop at any point along the charge (the forced part or the lipo part) if you see if start to swell. Then take it outside somewhere it can't do any damage of it does indeed go ahead and vent/smoke.

From where you are now, it's time to dispose of this one. Harvest the connectors and use a auto 1157 tail light bulb to discharge it to zero volts outside. After 24hr or so, remove the bult, twist the wires together and toss it.

You should be using a lvc (low voltage cutoff) so this can't happen....
I did watch for swelling. With the hard case I probably didn't notice it early enough. The LiPo has already been safely disposed of. The ESC was set for Lipo cut off, but its obvious it didn't work.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Unfortunate the lvc cost you a lipo. After you get used to running lipo, you should be able to see when a lipo 1st starts to slow a little. Thats where I usually stop and re-charge mine.

You can get a low voltage alarm type warning device, but its something you have to watch as it doesn't pulse or cut power like a esc based lvc does.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Unfortunate the lvc cost you a lipo. After you get used to running lipo, you should be able to see when a lipo 1st starts to slow a little. Thats where I usually stop and re-charge mine.

You can get a low voltage alarm type warning device, but its something you have to watch as it doesn't pulse or cut power like a esc based lvc does.
Oh Well! I had a dozen more Lipos on the shelf anyway. I don't plan to get too used to running big Lipo Power, I am still a Nitro fan. I am running Lipo for the RX in my Nitro Truggy now. Dynamite makes a LVC and regulator in one unit. Should save me from ruining another lipo. I also have a nice Dynamite LiPo Cell voltage checker which works awesome.