Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Havoc Pro Cutting Out Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default Novak Havoc Pro Cutting Out Problem

I recently started having a problem with my Novak Havoc Pro/DUO2 17.5 combo in my TC4. I was running this ESC in a different car and it was working great. Now when I plug it in and turn it on, it works great if I run it right away and doesn't have any problems for an entire run unless I bump a car or hit a wall and the car is in a spot where it can't move. Once the car sits in a spot for more than 20 seconds without giving it throttle, the motor won't respond. Once I cycle the power switch on the ESC, everything works normal again. When this happens, the RX, servo, etc still work and respond normally, but the motor won't go until I reset the power. Also, if I turn on the car and leave it sit for 20-30 seconds before putting it on the track, the motor won't move (although the rest of the electronics respond normally). This ESC was working great in another car, but since switching it, I had intermediate problems that have just got worse the more I run it. Any ideas what I should check for? Is this more likely to be an ESC problem or a motor problem? I would like to keep this setup in my backup car, but it doesn't do me any good when it only takes one mistake to stop me during a race.

Any ideas what I should check first? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Funky; 12-12-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added some details to help clarify the problem
Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Company Representative

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for th reply, I will get all of that information together and send an email to their support group. I just figured I would check here since their are so many knowledgable people on this forum. The ESC doesn't have much use, but it is just over a year old so I am sure it is not covered by any warranty. I went over the car very closely last night and I can see exactly when the problem starts.

Here is a quick background on it, in case anyone has any ideas on what I should check.

I bought the ESC new, installed it in my Tamiya F104 and ran it about 5-10 times. I was running a ballistic 6.5 motor in it which was far too much for that car. It ran great (althought it was way too overpowered) and I never had any problems with it cutting out. The motor barely got above the temps outside when I checked it after each run (110 degrees was the highest temp I checked it at). I also run the 3300T RX which had the temp probe on my ESC. On my controller, the temps never got above 100 degrees. I changed the motor/esc in my F1 car to a tame brushed setup and this ESC sat around for about 6-8 months until I installed it in my TC4 with a DUO2 17.5 brushless motor. It worked fine for a while, but I started to have it cut out intermediately after a few weekends using it. The last weekend I used it, it was cutting out every time I bumped a car which would either flip it over or stop me on a wall. If it takes any longer than 20-30 seconds to hit the throttle, the motor would no longer respond. I still ran the 3300T and my ESC never got above 100-110 degrees (according to the remote) and the motor was maxing out around 120-130 with a temp gun.

If I turn it on now, the ESC comes on and the blue and orange lights come on solid. Everything works fine at this point. Without touching anything, after 20-30 seconds the blue light gets brighter (both lights continue to stay on solid) but the motor no longer works (although the servo, fan, RX all still respond normally). If I turn it off and quickly turn it back on, everything is normal again. I can run the car for as long as I want (depending on the lipo) and it won't shut off again until it sits for 20-30 seconds without any throttle input. This happens EVERY time I turn on the car.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to be as specific as I can about the problem to see if anyone has an idea of what might be happening.

Last edited by Funky; 12-12-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Company Representative

We found issues with some Havoc Pros used with some radio systems---problems we were unable to duplicate with our test equipment and "radio system library" here at the factory. We believe that randomly generated pulses caused the HPs to shut off intermittently.

We either reprogrammed all escs returned by racers, and in some cases offered GTB replacements; we worked with customers to resolve these issues as they were called to our attention. Let me state----most Havoc Pro escs worked fine----we sold many and only some exhibited this shut-off issue.

One of the chronic problems of designing after-market electronics is that our products are expected to work flawlessly with all radio systems customers may be using regardless of the quality or design of those systems. When new radio systems are released, they may introduce issues unknown (unknowable) when our controllers were designed.

What we can do is work with customers to figure out a mutually beneficial way to find some solution to whatever issue they are seeing. We have always had warranty replacement, and comprehensive (non-warranty) Trade-In programs, for our customers. You can always contact [email protected] for assistance{ I posted the list of data requested when emailing.

We are doing our final Beta testing for our upcoming GTB2 controllers; we will be adding these new escs as both the warranty, and non-warranty, replacement items for the Havoc Pro escs.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

"We found issues with some Havoc Pros used with some radio systems...."

I'm seriously considering buying two of the Havoc Pro systems.....the Havoc Pro SC w/13.5t, and the Havoc Pro SC w/8.5t.

Which radio systems have you experienced these issues with? Any reports of having any compatability issues with an Airtonics M8 using the Spektrum module/reciever (SPM1002)?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all of your help NovakTwo. I was going to send out the ESC to be replaced (60 bucks is a pretty fair price since it is out of warranty) but I decided to try some different remotes based on your post above. I have always used the same remote/rx since this ESC was new but I figured it was worth a shot. I have plenty of remotes/RXs sitting around so I tried a 2.4 Traxxas setup first. I reprogrammed the ESC and I had the same problem with the motor cutting out after ~20 seconds. Next I tried an old AM remote. Again I reprogrammed the ESC.... and it worked!!! No cutting out!! The weird thing is, I hooked back up the Traxxas remote, re-programmed it and it worked fine with that now too Then I hooked up the original DX3S/3300T, re-programmed again and everything works normal with that remote too. No more cutting out!! I don't know what fixed it, but it seems like everything is back to normal now. Also, instead of just the blue and amber light turning on when it powers up, now it has a blue, amber and red light on after power up. I noticed this change when I hooked it up to the AM radio. The red light also came on my second time programming it on the Traxxas remote too (but not the first time). I am not sure if these are the lights I am supposed to see, but everything looks like it is working good again and now I have 3 lights after power up instead of just 2.

Anyways, thanks for the help!! It is working again and I have let the car sit a few minutes and it still responds normally when giving it throttle. Hope it stays this way!!! Thanks again
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Company Representative

I am delighted that you were able to solve your problems with the Havoc Pro esc. Most customers do not have access to such a variety of radio systems so they are unable to trouble shoot the issue themselves.

Intermittent issues with any product are extremely difficult to isolate and identify. So fixing these problems can be hit or miss. Thanks for sharing this update.

Originally Posted by Funky
Thanks for all of your help NovakTwo. I was going to send out the ESC to be replaced (60 bucks is a pretty fair price since it is out of warranty) but I decided to try some different remotes based on your post above. I

have always used the same remote/rx since this ESC was new but I figured it was worth a shot. I have plenty of remotes/RXs sitting around so I tried a 2.4 Traxxas setup first. I reprogrammed the ESC and I had the same problem with the motor cutting out after ~20 seconds. Next I tried an old AM remote. Again I reprogrammed the ESC.... and it worked!!! No cutting out!! The weird thing is, I hooked back up the Traxxas remote, re-programmed it and it worked fine with that now too

Then I hooked up the original DX3S/3300T, re-programmed again and everything works normal with that remote too. No more cutting out!! I don't know what fixed it, but it seems like everything is back to normal now. Also, instead of just the blue and amber light turning on when it powers up, now it has a blue, amber and red light on after power up. I noticed this change when I hooked it up to the AM radio. The red light also came on my second time programming it on the Traxxas remote too (but not the first time). I am not sure if these are the lights I am supposed to see, but everything looks like it is working good again and now I have 3 lights after power up instead of just 2.

Anyways, thanks for the help!! It is working again and I have let the car sit a few minutes and it still responds normally when giving it throttle. Hope it stays this way!!! Thanks again
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

LOL, I definately don't have a shortage of radios to try

(pic from my hoarding thread)

Thanks again for all of your help and the quick responses to my questions. It is REALLY appreciated!!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Company Representative

Maybe we should sign you up as a Beta tester! You may have more radios than we do....

LOL, I definately don't have a shortage of radios to try

(pic from my hoarding thread)

Thanks again for all of your help and the quick responses to my questions. It is REALLY appreciated!!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Anytime!! That is what this hobby is all about!! Helping each other out and getting new people involved.

(the sad part is, I found 3 more radios stashed away since I took that pic )
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try a Novak glitch buster. You just plug it in to the receiver.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Company Representative

We have had reports from some of our GTB2 field testers seeing problems with this particular motor. We have requested that the motors be sent to us for evaluation; there may be some incompatibility that we are not aware of.

Do you have a different radio to test your set-up with?

I recently started having a problem with my Novak Havoc Pro/DUO2 17.5 combo in my TC4. I was running this ESC in a different car and it was working great. Now when I plug it in and turn it on, it works great if I run it right away and doesn't have any problems for an entire run unless I bump a car or hit a wall and the car is in a spot where it can't move. Once the car sits in a spot for more than 20 seconds without giving it throttle, the motor won't respond. Once I cycle the power switch on the ESC, everything works normal again. When this happens, the RX, servo, etc still work and respond normally, but the motor won't go until I reset the power. Also, if I turn on the car and leave it sit for 20-30 seconds before putting it on the track, the motor won't move (although the rest of the electronics respond normally). This ESC was working great in another car, but since switching it, I had intermediate problems that have just got worse the more I run it. Any ideas what I should check for? Is this more likely to be an ESC problem or a motor problem? I would like to keep this setup in my backup car, but it doesn't do me any good when it only takes one mistake to stop me during a race.

Any ideas what I should check first? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We have had reports from some of our GTB2 field testers seeing problems with this particular motor. We have requested that the motors be sent to us for evaluation; there may be some incompatibility that we are not aware of.

Do you have a different radio to test your set-up with?
I have lots of radios Did you mean a different motor to test this with? I have a brand new X12 17.5 I am getting ready to install in my new TC and a Ballistic 13.5 in one of my 12R5s that isn't soldered up yet. I also have a Mamba 5700 and a few Velineon 3500s but they are already soldered up in other cars/trucks. I can try whatever combo you would like me to, although it seems to be working fine now so I am not sure if I can duplicate the problem I was having.

I was planning on replacing this DUO2 with a new 17.5 within the next month anyways, I am just trying to decide which one I want to try. If you would like, I can just send you this DUO2 for your testing.

I am going to run it this weekend at a race to make sure my cutting out problem is gone, but after that I could ship it to you to see if there are any compatibillity problems. You could just keep the motor for future testing too. I am really happy with your products so if I can help your company out, I would be happy to do it. Just let me know.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had this same problem for the longest time thank you Novak for the help
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Company Representative

I have lots of radios Did you mean a different motor to test this with? I have a brand new X12 17.5 I am getting ready to install in my new TC and a Ballistic 13.5 in one of my 12R5s that isn't soldered up yet. I also have a Mamba 5700 and a few Velineon 3500s but they are already soldered up in other cars/trucks. I can try whatever combo you would like me to, although it seems to be working fine now so I am not sure if I can duplicate the problem I was having.

I was planning on replacing this DUO2 with a new 17.5 within the next month anyways, I am just trying to decide which one I want to try. If you would like, I can just send you this DUO2 for your testing.

I am going to run it this weekend at a race to make sure my cutting out problem is gone, but after that I could ship it to you to see if there are any compatibillity problems. You could just keep the motor for future testing too. I am really happy with your products so if I can help your company out, I would be happy to do it. Just let me know.
Because we have a couple of the Duo2s coming to us, I'll keep your offer in mind in case we need to do additional testing. I was sharing your radio response upthread with the Engineers and they are impressed with your collection!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.