Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Viper RC -

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Owl
Tech Adept

Do these guys make a 550 motor for 4x4 sc?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mini-dub
Yeah the motors definitely have strong pull when you put a tall gear on, I just wanted to get you a little closer to our standard setup to be able to help you better. Everyone's setup and track conditions will be slightly different, run what works well for you. But if you're having trouble and not seeing the results you expect it's usually a good idea to start where we know it works

If you try increasing the motor timing you may find a much better powerband by running the larger spur. More motor timing = more rpm/less torque. Less motor timing = less rpm/more torque.
Mind you I had fastest lap of the day in mod truck this afternoon so the results/performance are there. I just like to get every bit outta it I can. hehe

Ill try the bigger spurs again and increase the timing next time out. Thanks for tip.

I'm sure all this back and fourth is helping others reading too and can be used similarly in SCT.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So with these motors, they like to be geared taller, or they like a bigger spur gear (I read both in the past 2 pages)?

Well if I were to use an 8.5 (I use trinity based motor in my T4 for the past few years), I normally gear it at 84/24 (with I believe stock timing on the motor, and a GTB that I have had forever if you can believe that). So if I were to get a 8.5, would I still be in the proper gearing range?

I might not get an 8.5, but rather a 7.5 and a 17.5 at some point, but I mainly want to figure out where the power band is based on my current set up (well on a T4 anyways, as I can figure out everything else for my other cars based on that information). But in any case from what I have read they like to run a little cooler, and have more then enough low end for short run ups to jumps, and I might have to give these a try later on.

Also what other information is there about the ESC? I went on the site, but there was only information that was no different then a magazine ad.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are switching brands on motors but keeping the same turn, start with the same gearing. Run about three to five minutes and check tour temps. Then you will be able to see where you are at in comparison and go from there. Your going to love this motor for sure!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ok,, time for the weekly race results,,trophy race at my local track,, one of our best turnouts ever,, Mod truck,, qualified 5th in the A,, finished 2nd,, with a 17.5 and a little boost!!. 2wd limited buggy"10.5 and slower" qualified 1st in the B and went on to win it,, this was a brand new buggy and with the Vtrax speedo n motor in it,, so im not to discouraged on the Bmain. Now as for that speed control,, everything that you have read or heard about this thing is TRUE,, it is just sick,, makes those companies that have been making electronics for years look silly!! Ok,, as for gearing which many of you need help with,, 17.5 in a T4.1 with a little boost,,28/75,, 17.5 in a B4.1 alot of boost!! 30/75
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone know of any LHS in the San Diego area that carry Viper?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just ran mod sc last night with viper esc. and viper 13.5 (smallest motor in class every one else was running 10.5'sand faster) pulled on every one this is my second race with this combo and all i can say is "IT IS WICKED FAST" running 28/84 med. boost in a xxx-sct damn fast
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by mini-dub
Yeah the motors definitely have strong pull when you put a tall gear on, I just wanted to get you a little closer to our standard setup to be able to help you better. Everyone's setup and track conditions will be slightly different, run what works well for you. But if you're having trouble and not seeing the results you expect it's usually a good idea to start where we know it works

If you try increasing the motor timing you may find a much better powerband by running the larger spur. More motor timing = more rpm/less torque. Less motor timing = less rpm/more torque.
hey Weylin.. i am Working with Chris very Closely on this 8.5 in his Truck..We have tried a bunch of things and are starting to get the hang of it!

Hes kinda my guiny pig on the 8.5. might have to get a couple 10.5's in to test.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

well ran my prototype ESC this past sunday at a local throphy race, what can I say? qualed 2nd and won the main. the quality is like nothing else I ran tekin prior and the viper takes the cake! I did have to gear way up compared to what I ran prior I had a 88/26 ended up with a 83/30 motor timing at 35, no boost allowed in the 17.5 class

-Ryan
Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quick question I just installed my 7.5 turn viper engine with MMP in my slash 4x4. The motor feels like it's getting hot real quick with the gearing I had in it 16/54. shouled I drop down on the pinion to the stock pinion setting of 13 or should I go even lower. Just worried this will effect my speed. I bought this to go faster than what I was with the stock Velineon system
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jurquhart
Quick question I just installed my 7.5 turn viper engine with MMP in my slash 4x4. The motor feels like it's getting hot real quick with the gearing I had in it 16/54. shouled I drop down on the pinion to the stock pinion setting of 13 or should I go even lower. Just worried this will effect my speed. I bought this to go faster than what I was with the stock Velineon system
forgot to mention I am not running any timing through the esc and i haven't changed anything on the engine
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jurquhart
you bought the wrong motor for the job.

you need to put a new hi torque rotor in it.
as well as gear down.. the 540 motor's are going to run hot in a big heavy beast like the 4x4 slash.

i would say start at 13 and work your way up or down from there.. but 16t is way to tall.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
you bought the wrong motor for the job.

you need to put a new hi torque rotor in it.
as well as gear down.. the 540 motor's are going to run hot in a big heavy beast like the 4x4 slash.

i would say start at 13 and work your way up or down from there.. but 16t is way to tall.
Don't agree; and my experience supports my statement.

You're geared too tall - get the gear down to 13/14 range and you'll be fine. My motor of choice for my 4 x 4 slash was either the Castle 1410 OR a 8.5 Xcelleron motor - both geared 13 x 54. NEVER a heating issue with either an Xcelleron speed control or the Castle Sidewinder SC. I'm anxious to test these combinations in the Losi TEN SCTE. Starting out with a Fantom 10.5 and the Xcelleron speed control. - starting at 15/40 and hope to go to at least a 16 tooth indoors - large track.

With the Viper motors tendency to be torque superior my thought is that they will do very well in these trucks. The Slash 4 x 4 is the lightest of the bunch.

You're welcome!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

what is the high torque rotor and do they sell this on A main for the viper? I've never cracked an engine before...I'll dry going down in pinion to 13 and see what that does.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...T-Tuning-Rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.