R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #526
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

Hi Weylin,

I was wondering about the difference between Viper VST motors and other brands in terms of timing on the actual motor itself. VST's have a timing of 15 to 45 degrees whereas other brands start lower and have 0 to 30 or -10 to 10. They all look to have about the same range but just from different start and end points. So does this mean that a VST motor would generally require less ESC boost/turbo timing compared to the other brands? I am trying to help someone test some VST motors on a non Viper ESC.

Thanks
Roger
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #527
Tech Addict

Almost every brands on the market have 30º as standard hardware timing, except for LRP that have 40º. The marks in the can usually marks plus timing or less timing from the standard, but in Viper what you see is what you get. If you place it at 30º you have 30º hardware timing, same for all other values.
Hope this helps.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #528
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to twelvegauge Send a message via MSN to twelvegauge

How would you compare these motors to the Thunder power. I am trying to decide on a new 21.5 for USGT. I have a D3 but there seem to be faster motors on the track.
It's a stock spec class all same tires and no timing. I am currently runing a Tekin RS.
Replacement fans for esc's & heat sinks
[email protected] or 630-935-0132
twelvegauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #529
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageboy69 View Post
Hey weylin, wanna say Thanks again for hooking us up with stuff for the sc race , u missed some good racing
I know I'm sure I did, sounds like the race was awesome! Happy to support your event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logi Maker View Post
Going to try the Viper in my TC6 with a 10.5 and some boost...

Anyone got an FDR suggestion and ESC setting suggestion??
Start with a 7.4-7.8fdr depending on tight or open track. For esc settings start with pre-set profile #7 and change the acceleration boost rpm range to 10,000-20,000rpm.

How large of a track are you running on?

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #530
Tech Initiate

Weylin,

just wondering if u get a chance to send out my 10R and 17.5 motor. can't wait to have them back
one2three_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #531
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2three_us View Post
Weylin,

just wondering if u get a chance to send out my 10R and 17.5 motor. can't wait to have them back
Your stuff went out yesterday Had to wait for the new batch of esc's to arrive. Lots of new esc's are arriving now and are far more stable than the initial batches! As well as we've tripled our quality control process intensity

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #532
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub View Post

Start with a 7.4-7.8fdr depending on tight or open track. For esc settings start with pre-set profile #7 and change the acceleration boost rpm range to 10,000-20,000rpm.

How large of a track are you running on?
Weylin,

It's Fantasy World in Tacoma that Kyle's ( Logi Maker ) probably talking about. You should drop by on a Sunday and race mod with us!

Jake
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #533
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub View Post
Your stuff went out yesterday Had to wait for the new batch of esc's to arrive. Lots of new esc's are arriving now and are far more stable than the initial batches! As well as we've tripled our quality control process intensity
you guys r great. just wondering if the new ones have issue w/ 4s like the initial batch?
one2three_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
you guys r great. just wondering if the new ones have issue w/ 4s like the initial batch?
thats what he talked about, making it more stable on 4s for you guys.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #535
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 21.5 Viper motors are great. At our local track there are 3 drivers using them and they told me there competitive in that class. you just have to gear 2 teeth higher for more rpm. Put the timing all the way to max and you will be fine. They will work fine with a tekin RS. I also noticed they run cooler than the D3 trinity motors thus they dont lose power at the end of 6 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegauge View Post
How would you compare these motors to the Thunder power. I am trying to decide on a new 21.5 for USGT. I have a D3 but there seem to be faster motors on the track.
It's a stock spec class all same tires and no timing. I am currently runing a Tekin RS.

/ Team Associated / Viper RC / Radiopost / Sweep Tires / Much-More Racing / RAL Designs / Parma USA
ekim628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #536
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim628 View Post
The 21.5 Viper motors are great. At our local track there are 3 drivers using them and they told me there competitive in that class. you just have to gear 2 teeth higher for more rpm. Put the timing all the way to max and you will be fine. They will work fine with a tekin RS. I also noticed they run cooler than the D3 trinity motors thus they dont lose power at the end of 6 minutes
What rollout are you guys running?
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Where's the constant chatter I was hoping for. LOL, any of you running a VTX10 w/ a 17.5 (no boost)? I need help in the speed department.
Hey Weylin, any help with settings for running at FW? I'm somewhere in between a 3.5- .8 Look me up bruh

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #538
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Where's the constant chatter I was hoping for. LOL, any of you running a VTX10 w/ a 17.5 (no boost)? I need help in the speed department.
Hey Weylin, any help with settings for running at FW? I'm somewhere in between a 3.5- .8 Look me up bruh
I run that speedo between those ratios with in 17.5 NT and its great. Stock settings for everything. "Race stock mode."
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #539
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sent my vtx in a few weeks ago for the turning off and never working again issue. Got it back in a good amount of time. I get back from racing today and have my repaired esc on the doorstep!
I installed it into my 4x4 sc with a 4.5viper vstxl
I go to do the radio calibration and it beeps once then doesnt turn on at all!
Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #540
Tech Master

Quote:
Due to issues unforeseen and that did not arise during pre-production testing, we are going to remove the 4s spec rating on the VTX10 and VTX10R. All drivers whom purchased the esc's specifically for that use (all one of them) are being taken care of This will also prevent people from trying it on 1/8 vehicles. We want to provide our customers with the most powerful and reliable esc on the market, this is indeed a difficult task but we are getting much closer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
What rollout are you guys running?
I've been informed by our drivers that a 4.0-4.2 fdr is good for the 21.5 non-timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
What up brother! Pre-set profile 5 will give you the best power and punch for blinky mode. If you want a bit more rpm from the motor try bumping the drive PWM frequency up to 6400-8000hz. That will take away some torque though.

Most the time with the VST 17.5 running non-timing guys are in the 3.3-3.6 range. I'm guessing the FW track is a bit larger/more open than the H30 track? Hard to believe if it's true haha! But I think you'll want to be around 3.3 or 3.4 on that track.