Lipos in TXs

Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
CT5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Lipos in TXs

What would prevent a lipo from being over-discharged in a transmitter such as the 3pm?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CT5
What would prevent a lipo from being over-discharged in a transmitter such as the 3pm?
your brain, use it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use a 3S 3000mah I think its 8C lipo in my 3PK and anothe rjust like it in my 3PJS. There is no 'parasitic' drain like when a lipo is connected to an ESC.

I don't take mine out or disconnect them between uses. The only time I remove them is to charge them. Done it this way for over 2 1/2 yrs without any lipo probs. I monitor voltage off the radios display and charge when I get to the point I don't want to worry about it anymore, usually when it drops below 10v.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

On Ebay, there are literally hundreds of lipo monitors. Some have displays and will tell you the voltage of each cell within the battery, some are just low voltage warnings with a buzzer. Most are from china and are really quite cheap - well worth the meagre expense certainly.

The more advanced TX have displays on them, most of which will tell you the voltage of the TX battery.

You could also check the voltage of your pack prior to running. A typical TX lipo (any 3s that fits) would give quite some runtime so you could just keep it at a reasonable state of charge by charging it up to storage levels after you run. Lithium batteries prefer partial charges (as opposed to running them till cutoff then fully recharging) anyway. Disconnect the battery from the TX whilst it is stored.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thats the whole point, there is really no need to disconnect the lipo. I have 23S 3000mah lipos in 2 diff radios and they are never disconnected except for charging. You turn the radio off, you turn the battery off.

This is not like a esc where there is still drain on the battery even when the switch is off.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Thats the whole point, there is really no need to disconnect the lipo. I have 23S 3000mah lipos in 2 diff radios and they are never disconnected except for charging. You turn the radio off, you turn the battery off.

This is not like a esc where there is still drain on the battery even when the switch is off.

X2