Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
What Lipo should I get for Novak 17.5T Brushless System? >

What Lipo should I get for Novak 17.5T Brushless System?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Lipo should I get for Novak 17.5T Brushless System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default What Lipo should I get for Novak 17.5T Brushless System?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for good long run times, looking at the venom Lipos from tower because I get great discounts from them, however I can't figure out what the 17.5T Novak Brushless system requires! This is for the Tamiya TRF201 2wd Buggy I've ordered!

Could I just use 4000mah 20c hard case which is about 80amps or do I need the 5000mah 20c which is 100amps, or do I need to invest in the 5000mah 30C 150amps.

Also whatever Lipo I get I want them to run cool, so I'm want to order a Lipo that is over what my Motor/ESC is rated.

I'm not sure if this calculation is correct, but the 17.5T brushless motor uses 130watts, so assuming that the Lipo is 7.4Vs, that means that it uses about 17.5 amps. However I don't see how that amp rating relates to the Lipo amp ratings.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you look at the footnote on the watt ratings, it says "Power output for six minutes. Voltage determined at 7.2 volts." So for a 6min run with a constant 7.2v, that motor used 130watts of power. Its def not real world, but provides some basis for comparison. The rcs weight, the terrain, surface and they way you drive will all affect amp draw. I've run a data recorder in my brushless Slash and see actual amps that run from 16.6 to 110amps, so what the motor pulls can cover a good range.

Some comments about your lipo ques -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...-c-rating.html
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
If you look at the footnote on the watt ratings, it says "Power output for six minutes. Voltage determined at 7.2 volts." So for a 6min run with a constant 7.2v, that motor used 130watts of power. Its def not real world, but provides some basis for comparison. The rcs weight, the terrain, surface and they way you drive will all affect amp draw. I've run a data recorder in my brushless Slash and see actual amps that run from 16.6 to 110amps, so what the motor pulls can cover a good range.

Some comments about your lipo ques -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...-c-rating.html
Thank you that was the exact kind of information I was looking for, decided to go with a Venom 5000mah 30C Hard Case Lipo, which should be a good balance of power and run time for my TRF201.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

As a comparison I run a slash 2wd with a ballistic 10.t and I use a 2s lipo 3700mah 25c. I can race it for about 15-20mins on my lipo.

Also duster gave me this link that might help if you wanna read up on lipos.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Thanks again duster
Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slackomatic
As a comparison I run a slash 2wd with a ballistic 10.t and I use a 2s lipo 3700mah 25c. I can race it for about 15-20mins on my lipo.
Thats way longer than I was thinking, so I should be able to see some seriously long run times with the 5000mah 30C Venom Lipos I got . . . . SWEET

-Disjaukifa