Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Turnigy Battery Connector to Deans

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Help with Turnigy Battery Connector to Deans

So I bought a Turnigy Lipo Battery and wanted to put a Deans on it but the wire is 8 AWG. My question is, has anybody had exprience soldering this thick wire onto a Deans connector? Im thinking about just using a Traxxas connector since it would be easier to solder on to. Thanks in advance for the feedback
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Wow. Why do they need such a big wire? Most batteries come with 12AWG and that's plenty. The only thing I can offer is a high wattage iron with a big chisel-type tip. Tin the wire and Dean's plug and go like hell. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Deans are junk...why bother?

When you buy a Ferrari do you junk the wheels to replace them with PepBoys wheels?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

And a great connector is...?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
Deans are junk...why bother?

When you buy a Ferrari do you junk the wheels to replace them with PepBoys wheels?
What do you recommend? Pretty much anyone on Earth using connectors for the last 30 years or so has been using them. If there's better, let's hear it! I'm all about change for the better...I voted for Obama!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I had my LHS put traxxas connectors on my Turnigy batteries. I couldn't see the guy do it, but he spent a LONG time doing it and I was told he had to tin the wires, then grind them smooth (so they would fit) and then heat the wire while the tinned part was in the plug.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by secoweco
So I bought a Turnigy Lipo Battery and wanted to put a Deans on it but the wire is 8 AWG. My question is, has anybody had exprience soldering this thick wire onto a Deans connector? Im thinking about just using a Traxxas connector since it would be easier to solder on to. Thanks in advance for the feedback
TRX connector will involve reducing the batt wire diameter which is a PIA. Bullets are easy, just get a big size - 5 or 6.5mm. Use diff color heat shrink for pos and neg. Just be careful when connecting you don't get them reversed. If you only have one setup, cut one batt wire shorter than the other before putting the bullets on. Then do the same but opposite thing on the esc wires. Won't say its impossible to reverse polarity, but it's harder and that should make you think which should prevent doing it. You could use diff size bullets pos and neg, could also use one male and one fem on batt - several options to help reduce chance of reversoing polarity.

You can do deans on 8ga - been discussed here before - it can and it is being done - hot iron, pre-tin everything, etc. -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...8awg-wire.html
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess it is possible and has been done so I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Since the wire on the battery is thick 8 AWG, just get some 5.5mm bullets and use a staggered setup ie one male and one female on the battery and the same on the ESC. Make sure you get the polarity correct before you solder. Also dont forget to use heat shrink tubing so that when connected there shouldn't be any gold plating exposed.

A round wire and a round bullet connector....wow that makes TOO MUCH sense!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
Since the wire on the battery is thick 8 AWG, just get some 5.5mm bullets and use a staggered setup ie one male and one female on the battery and the same on the ESC. Make sure you get the polarity correct before you solder. Also dont forget to use heat shrink tubing so that when connected there shouldn't be any gold plating exposed.

A round wire and a round bullet connector....wow that makes TOO MUCH sense!
We still haven't heard how Dean's are junk. Please explain.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Please enlighten us. Preferably, with some hard evidence/numbers.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Get an engineering degree and you'll figure it out.

You want to use them that's your PROBLEM....I couldn't care less...LMFAO.

BTW here's a good place to start...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...onnectors.html

It has been shown in testing that Deans can't even keep up with TRX connectors let alone 5.5mm bullets....lol...but keep on believing they're the best since sliced bread because they've been in use for decades.

Hey I know an old lady who's been driving a Pinto for decades...they must be the best....LMFAO!!!!.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Obviously you do care or something or you wouldn't be in here singing bullet plug's praises. One of your observations in the other thread stated that Deans are prone to disconnecting themselves, but then you go onto say that they are too small and you have to pull on the wires which isn't good. If they are so prone to spontaneously falling apart, it couldn't take any pulling force at all to disconnect them so pulling the wires should be no big deal. So, which is it?

With Deans being so prevalent, and being so failure prone, how in the world are all these R/C cars that are using them staying running on the tracks all around the globe?

I'm an educated man in electrical/electronics (yes, I have a degree as you so stated I should get). Yet, you still cannot provide any real evidence of this total global failure of this connector type. The only thing your quoted article mentions is heat through the connector. Based on the numbers listed, the Deans got a whopping...hold on...5* warmer than bullets.

Also, the only current comparison they make is bullets to Tamiya. Seriously? Every connector has a current limitation. Just because the OP bought a battery that has 8AWG, that doesn't mean he's running a super high current setup. Why run anything less than 10AWG wire to the motor? Obviously it has superior current carrying capability than 14AWG. Maybe because it's not necessary?

No one is saying you are wrong for using bullets if that's what you like, but you're sure not very convincing in your argument talking like a little child.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Let me break it down into bite sized chunks for you since you can't seem to grasp this simple concept.

Deans DO disconnect themselves all the time, this is common knowledge and has been experienced by MANY people. It is not rumor LMFAO.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if it takes very little force to pull a Deans apart using your fingers then it will likely pull apart when you crash etc.

Now the fact that the connector is small means you most likely need to pull on the wires anyway which is BAD practice anyway you look at it...end of story.

And the last point is Deans don't have the same current carrying capacity as 5.5mm bullets, this is FACT. Do I need to prove the sky is blue???

Why the hell would you want to put crappy Deans on a 8 AWG wire when there are BETTER bullets DESIGNED for bigger wirers????? Is there something special about Deans that you'd want to go through the trouble to even TRY to solder a fat 8 AWG wire onto Deans???? Do you get a HARD-ON when using Deans???

Only a monkey using monkey logic would even think about using Deans with 8 AWG wire.

Do you live in a delusionary world where fire fighters hook up their hoses to a faucet???

Oh and to answer your question many people use Deans because UNINFORMED PEOPLE LIKE YOU keep on pushing them and also the lazy dumb@sses that would rather tug on wires because they have weak p@ssy fingers. Another fact is a lot of people already invested in Deans on all of their equipment so it requires a complete overhaull to switch to something else which for most is costly and inconvenient.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, OK. That's clear. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.