R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #76
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
Thanks, I will give it a try. I have a feeling I will like it better than the Novak SS.
No doubt about it



Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Lead free sucks, and silver solders are more poisonous than the leaded stuff. 63/37 is the best solder you can use.
Yea I wasn't gonna say the over priced rc solders suck but you pretty much took the words outta my mouth on that one.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #77
Tech Master
 
sugelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,128
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Excellent thread Jar Head...I thought I was decent at soldering but learned some good things in reading this that I will apply right now as I solder up my new ESC and motor!!! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.....Devil Dog!!!

Semper Fi!!!!

1st Mar Div
__________________
Joe E
SMAC Trac/Dirtburners/Paint by:Snocamel Racing/VP Powermaster Fuel
MP9 TKI3:OS Speed/OS2090/KO RSx servos
ST RR Evo: Ninja BO2/OS 2060/KO RSx servos
sugelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #78
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
Excellent thread Jar Head...I thought I was decent at soldering but learned some good things in reading this that I will apply right now as I solder up my new ESC and motor!!! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.....Devil Dog!!!

Semper Fi!!!!

1st Mar Div
OORAH!
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #79
Tech Master
 
DavidR's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Mo
Posts: 1,669
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR
Default

Hello again Marine!

Quick question... I can't seem to find my stash of "good" leaded solder...

So I think I'm gonna order some off Ebay...

I just wanted to verify that I'm getting the right stuff.

I realise it's a little thin, but I do work on electronics as well, so the small wire works better for that... I can twist it to double up the thickness in R/C applications.

I just need to verify that its the correct stuff..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #80
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Hello again Marine!

Quick question... I can't seem to find my stash of "good" leaded solder...

So I think I'm gonna order some off Ebay...

I just wanted to verify that I'm getting the right stuff.
Unfortunately there is no right stuff on eBay. All have a D.O.M. (date of manifacture) older than 3 years or unknown.
This one has an (intentionally?) damaged D.O.M.
Imbuter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #81
Tech Master
 
DavidR's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Mo
Posts: 1,669
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR
Default

Yeah... I guess I forgot about that...

Even if I were to find my stash of old solder it's probably 20+ years old anyway. It's stuff my grandfather brought home from work YEARS ago when he worked for Bendix (then bought by Allied Signal, Now Honeywell) as an EE.

It's been working good for the years I've been in the hobby though... Which is probably 10 or so.

Anybody got a good source on solder anyway?
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #82
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Hello again Marine!

Quick question... I can't seem to find my stash of "good" leaded solder...

So I think I'm gonna order some off Ebay...

I just wanted to verify that I'm getting the right stuff.

I realise it's a little thin, but I do work on electronics as well, so the small wire works better for that... I can twist it to double up the thickness in R/C applications.

I just need to verify that its the correct stuff..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
Unfortunately there is no right stuff on eBay. All have a D.O.M. (date of manifacture) older than 3 years or unknown.
This one has an (intentionally?) damaged D.O.M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Yeah... I guess I forgot about that...

Even if I were to find my stash of old solder it's probably 20+ years old anyway. It's stuff my grandfather brought home from work YEARS ago when he worked for Bendix (then bought by Allied Signal, Now Honeywell) as an EE.

It's been working good for the years I've been in the hobby though... Which is probably 10 or so.

Anybody got a good source on solder anyway?
That is the right kind and that is a good brand. The DOM is smudged a bit but I can see Jan of 08, but don't hold me to that. Amazon sells it for around $25 for a spool and an online electronics place will be around $30.

The older stuff will work fine, so long as it was stored well indoors, but the flux core will be dry and it may be corroded on the outside. Just use extra flux and it will work and flow pretty well.

Yeah that is on the thin side for batteries and ESCs, but if you can only have one roll, the thinner stuff is more versatile. You can always double or triple wind some to use on larger components like you said.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #83
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Traxxas confirmed that the solder tabs of the TRX connectors are brass coated. No word if the plug end is gold or not, no specs on the traxxas site that I seen but other places list it as gold.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #84
Tech Elite
 
Toh WL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Setapak
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Thats a lot of amps!
True also, it's very common I see ppl having wires disconnected from motor. Not forgetting ESC poofed.... including solder leads spill on the car bodyshell in between race.

Last edited by Toh WL; 12-29-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I am going to try to get a video made. I will try to get it done at work on break. I will need to do it in our Back shop area because there are no cameras allowed near the aircraft. The Back shop is a general use area, so its not as tidy and organized as I like but will do fine.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #86
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 33
Default

So the statements "Wide surface area, gold-plated terminals" and "Two sets of gold metal pins" on Towerhobbies can be false? bad thing to know

and I read that "Brass is only 28% as conductive as copper. Some bronzes are as low as 7% as conductive as copper", so why this choice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
I am going to try to get a video made. I will try to get it done at work on break. I will need to do it in our Back shop area because there are no cameras allowed near the aircraft. The Back shop is a general use area, so its not as tidy and organized as I like but will do fine.
Great, thanks!
Imbuter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #87
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
So the statements "Wide surface area, gold-plated terminals" and "Two sets of gold metal pins" on Towerhobbies can be false? bad thing to know

and I read that "Brass is only 28% as conductive as copper. Some bronzes are as low as 7% as conductive as copper", so why this choice??


Great, thanks!
Well it solders well, and its a thin layer so the resistance is not that big of a deal.

And I forgot my camera today, will try to get it made when I go in on Saturday.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #88
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Well it solders well, and its a thin layer so the resistance is not that big of a deal.
Do you suggest to use the added RMA rosin for gold or brass coated surfaced too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
And I forgot my camera today, will try to get it made when I go in on Saturday.
Thanks!
Imbuter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #89
Tech Regular
 
marine6680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
Do you suggest to use the added RMA rosin for gold or brass coated surfaced too?
Flux is always a help, on nice new shiny parts and wire, a thin coat is enough. Those flux pens work well on new parts.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #90
Tech Adept
 
gas-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 176
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I got the radio shack 64-053 for christmas but, I can't find any tips. Anyone know where to get them or will a different model have tips for this? In store by me do not carry them.
Looks like its a Madell AT201D, still haveing a hard time finding tips though.

Last edited by gas-man; 01-01-2010 at 12:58 PM.
gas-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some rules for soldering marine6680 Rookie Zone 15 12-21-2014 10:48 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net