Search

Venom Pro Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Venom Pro Charger

Anyone have problems with this charger?

I've used it about 10 times to charge and that's it, now i am getting an error every time i try to charge:

"SHORT ERR"

Anyone else get this? I'm ready to call and bitch to venom but unfortunately they don't pick up the damn phone at midnight
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im getting a simular message while trying to charge my lipo via the balancer.Dont know why either i came to the conclusion that i need to get externall balancer and this will be my field charger.If you get ahold of them bitch at them for me to
Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Well, i did not get the chance to call venom today. But i will definitely try tomorrow.

The charger still does pretty much everything BUT charge. The menu, all the settings and discharging works just fine. If i set it on a 1A charge, it will go for about 10 seconds before i get the "SHORT ERR", but if i try to charge on 5A, it will go about 2-3.5 minutes...

damn charger
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you sure it's the charger?

We have 2. The first one we got is noisy and the usb jack pulled out. The temp probe jack was all jacked had to straighten the prongs to get it to fit in.

But we just got a second one Sat and it seems better built.

Calling them today to get it sent in and hopefully replaced now that we got a second one.

I always get the same guy. His name is Jason, I've called about 6 times for different reasons. They must not have to large of a support staff if I always get the same guy.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

D'you try your batt with another charger to rule out that the charger is the problem?

Personally, I never buy anything with Venom badge anymore. They have poor quality control. Sure, they get their junk from the same factory in China as some of the other names, but their stuff seems to be on the hairy edge of failure.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by huskerdually
I always get the same guy. His name is Jason, I've called about 6 times for different reasons. They must not have to large of a support staff if I always get the same guy.
Or they have a lot of staff, it's just that they're all called Jason
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I got Dave this time. He was very helpful, I got to send it in. I asked for a replacement since there seems to be a lot of things wrong with this one.

Bad products are always going to slip by even the best quality control. We'll see how they handle this.

He did say no one is getting them to work with the computer link. The most anyone is getting is a graph. Which is all I've managed also.

I can't find a "short err" in the instructions.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you to Jason at Venom!

Got him on the phone and was a great help. I'll be sending mine in and will be getting a replacement.

When i told him i got the "short err" he let off a sigh.. so, i'm going to assume that this has been an issue with these chargers.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't know if its true or not, but Venom has the rep of not doing any Q/C on anything. Hard to believe the charger with the "short err" prob was ever plugged in/tested along the way. Some of their batts have been hit and miss - similar probs,

Hopefully your replacement will come from a previous trouble free batch or one thats been tested.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FJC 88
Thank you to Jason at Venom!

Got him on the phone and was a great help. I'll be sending mine in and will be getting a replacement.

When i told him i got the "short err" he let off a sigh.. so, i'm going to assume that this has been an issue with these chargers.

Thanks for the help guys!
HUH I need to give them a call.Mine only does it with trying to charge lipos via the balancing port.Scared the sh!t out of me the first time I treated the lipo like it was a live hand grenade.Till i charged it fine with my old Hyperion.
It was comical sorta
Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,
I just got the venom pro charger and im trying to charge zippy 3s 2200Mah using the white connection, it plugs into the balance block. it wont let me do anything. it just comes up with the 'connectoin break' error. Does anyone know how to rectify this?
Any help appreciated.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Too bad there are so many problems I saw an ad from Stormer's that has this charger for $100.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

Just wonderig if is alright to charge, discharge and balance not using the white plug but using the 'deans' connector, the red t-shaped one. It seems to find the battery ok, will it work properly or damage the batteries
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You charge thru the deans connector - it will not balance without the white plug connected to the side of the charger. You may get a warning that balance connector is not connected, but it should let you charge. My hyperion s setup that way, you can charge without balancing, but charger warns you about it.

You need to understand why you're not able to connect balance tap without getting that warning. Are you sure its the right tap? Venom uses the JST type balance connection (also called Align type tap). You can have similar balance tap on your lipo and plug in, but still not be right.

BTW reading both your notes, it takes both sets of wires connected to charge and balance a lipo. When it works right, you charge and balance at the same time using both sets of wires - charging thru the set with deans and balancing thru wires with the white plug.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey, thanks Duster_360.

That all makes sense now and it seems to be working. Thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.