Recommend ESC

Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Recommend ESC

I am new again to this hobby (been away for about 15 years). I am looking for a solid ESC that will handle brushed (down to 7 turns) and brushless motors. I prefer one that has reverse that can be disabled since I am going to be racing and bashing with it in several different cars.

Just want the latest scoop on what the best electronics are these days.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I recommend Castle Creations, lots of bang for the buck and they will handle brushed and brushless. It also has many programming options.

www.castlecreations.com
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default Speedo

I've had most of them and the Speedpassion Gt is my favorite by far. You can't burn it up no matter how hard you try. The mamba is tough as well but it won't run sensored motors. I've abused both of these and they will take alot of amps and not fail.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by latemodel13 View Post
I've had most of them and the Speedpassion Gt is my favorite by far. You can't burn it up no matter how hard you try. The mamba is tough as well but it won't run sensored motors. I've abused both of these and they will take alot of amps and not fail.
What is the issue with sensored motors? Is that something I need?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbass350z View Post
What is the issue with sensored motors? Is that something I need?
They can be beneficial for 1/8 scales at low speed. as that is when cogging appears. It's not really an issue for 1/10 scale. Heaps of people run sensorless without issue. So you'll have to decide for yourself whether you really need it or not.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default Sensor

The main thing is some racing you will need to run sensored motors.Unless you run strickly mod. The mamba is not designed for sensored but the Speedpassion will run both. If racing from a standing start the mamba will kinda studder and sometimes it can cause a problem on starts. I have some low turn delta wound motors and also run some 10.5 and 13.5 sensored motors and It's nice to just plug in whatever you want and the speedo runs them all.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I think I am going with the speed passion or venom setup.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recomend the Tekin RS or RS Pro. The RS has a 5t motor limit, while the Pro doesn't have a limit. I have one of each and use both weekly. They work extremely well with sensored and unsensored motors, and what is really great, if your running a sensored 13.5, and either a sensor goes bad, or the wire comes out, it will switch to sensorless without skipping a beat. The Hotwire software is top notch as well. It will give you the ability to lock out the reverse, or put a delay in it if still desired.

As much as I have tried to kill them, they keep working. I even accidently reversed the battery wires once, and it all kept working just fine. Did that to the orange brand, and it smoked immeidiately.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I run LRP Sphere Comp.'s , love them, but the Tekin's are supposed to be really good too
Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

15 years ago who was #1???= NOVAK and they still are IMO!!!!
GO with a GTB!!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

I'm looking to buy a esc and a new motor also.I've been running the GTB and was happy with it until this past race day.Another driver whom I've always been faster than was 8/10s faster than me.It wasn't that he's improved as a driver,he was still blowing corners and couldn't run consistant laps.It was just that he could cut a lap here and there that were ballistic. I think he was running a Tekin and a Trinity duo.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
I'm looking to buy a esc and a new motor also.I've been running the GTB and was happy with it until this past race day.Another driver whom I've always been faster than was 8/10s faster than me.It wasn't that he's improved as a driver,he was still blowing corners and couldn't run consistant laps.It was just that he could cut a lap here and there that were ballistic. I think he was running a Tekin and a Trinity duo.
All the main brands are pretty good... they all work and do their thing.

It is really hard to compare ESC/Motors unless you run them in the same car. Could be batteries or tires that are making the difference if you don't think it was the driving. Don't forget about gearing too... just because you are running the same spec of a motor, your gearing will determine how the motor performs.

Jerome
Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
All the main brands are pretty good... they all work and do their thing.

It is really hard to compare ESC/Motors unless you run them in the same car. Could be batteries or tires that are making the difference if you don't think it was the driving. Don't forget about gearing too... just because you are running the same spec of a motor, your gearing will determine how the motor performs.

Jerome
go with tekins, there the only sensored esc that can be upgraded/tuned via computer. and there 1/2 the size of a GTB
Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, the batteries might have a little to do with it.I'm still running 4600's! I did experiment with gearing and I found a ratio that allowed me to run my best laps more consistantly. I talked to the guy and he was experimenting with boost and timing. I've got the timing turned up on my GTB.

QUOTE=JeromeK99;5345700]All the main brands are pretty good... they all work and do their thing.

Jerome [/QUOTE]