Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow_jun
1.have you calibrated your ESC before you run it?

2.have you set the Lipo to 4S? or Auto,

3. or maybe your motor is above the rated KV for 4S. *(ruled out)

1.6 Suitable Motor: * Note #1
When working with 4 cells Lipo: KV<=3000

4. or try changing your sensor wire...see if that helps.

5. maybe thermalling.....check temp.

after the motor cools down, does it still do the same problems?sometimes the low voltage protection will kick in if the battery cannot supply the draw of the motor, you can adjust the cutoff of the battery, experienced that HW cutoff voltage is not that precise, when tested with a VOM, voltage is way above the cutoff voltage.

cheers!
1. ESC is calibrated. I also re-calibrated to make sure in case it had somehow lost the calibration. Makes no difference.

2. I had the lipo cell count set to auto, but I tried setting it to 4s. Makes no difference.

3. Correct, motor is within allowed spec.

4. Both motors I tried are sensorless.

5. Temps were fine. I did let it sit for about an hour and cool. Makes no difference.

This problem occurs even with no load on the motor. Wheels in the air, or with the motor out of the mount. It's not load related. I understand how voltage dips with a load on the battery, but the pattern I described occurs regardless of load (even with no load other than the motor by itself).
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Overtorqued
1. ESC is calibrated. I also re-calibrated to make sure in case it had somehow lost the calibration. Makes no difference.

2. I had the lipo cell count set to auto, but I tried setting it to 4s. Makes no difference.

3. Correct, motor is within allowed spec.

4. Both motors I tried are sensorless.

5. Temps were fine. I did let it sit for about an hour and cool. Makes no difference.

This problem occurs even with no load on the motor. Wheels in the air, or with the motor out of the mount. It's not load related. I understand how voltage dips with a load on the battery, but the pattern I described occurs regardless of load (even with no load other than the motor by itself).
this explains it, sensorless motor exhibits cogging effect ( jerking ) at low voltage, or start up. this will cog coz there is no sensor to detect its neutral phase. Try putting in a sensored motor and test and see if problem is resolved.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow_jun
this explains it, sensorless motor exhibits cogging effect ( jerking ) at low voltage, or start up. this will cog coz there is no sensor to detect its neutral phase. Try putting in a sensored motor and test and see if problem is resolved.
Thanks, but I don't think you read my original problem. I don't have an issue with cogging (and I'm ok with cogging since this is a sensorless motor).

The first time I pull the trigger after turning the car on and letting the esc arm, the motor will run (seemingly normally) and motivate the car. After stopping, the motor does not run at all without giving it a nudge (i.e. a push start). Once it's moving again, it seems fine...until the car stops again.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Overtorqued
Thanks, but I don't think you read my original problem. I don't have an issue with cogging (and I'm ok with cogging since this is a sensorless motor).

The first time I pull the trigger after turning the car on and letting the esc arm, the motor will run (seemingly normally) and motivate the car. After stopping, the motor does not run at all without giving it a nudge (i.e. a push start). Once it's moving again, it seems fine...until the car stops again.
also encountered this to sensorless motors, if you can test using a sensored one, just to isolate , if its the same issue then esc is your culprit. anyway sorry to have misread your post.

goodluck.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Any help u guys need please pm me I will try my best to help.
Cale Rockey team driver hobbywing Canada.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So, here is another newb asking another silly question, but even after reading through this thread, I'd like a personal response lol. I am about to get the 70a Short Course ESC from Hobbywing, and it says it is seals to resist splashes of water and accumulation of dust. But in the real world, how many have put it through damp conditions and still had a working ESC in the end?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

70 amp must be an ezrun system? I know I have gotten my Xerun SCT pro more then wet/mud and its still going strong.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lewis110
70 amp must be an ezrun system? I know I have gotten my Xerun SCT pro more then wet/mud and its still going strong.
Yep you would be correct, it is an EZRUN setup. And thanks for shedding some light on the issue :-)

I'm still on the fence about what to get. That new SC8 WP looks mighty tempting with its waterproof rating. And of course it is 120a so loads more room for upgrading.

Do you think that the 120a SC8 WP is too large to have in a 1/10 buggy like the Kyosho Rb5? Or am I just being a baby? lol
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
So, here is another newb asking another silly question, but even after reading through this thread, I'd like a personal response lol. I am about to get the 70a Short Course ESC from Hobbywing, and it says it is seals to resist splashes of water and accumulation of dust. But in the real world, how many have put it through damp conditions and still had a working ESC in the end?
Go here http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/507750-hobbywing-tech-support-1-8-1-10-off-road-103.html
for the newest Hobbywing thread, you will get faster responces most of the time.
Paul Rush
HWNA
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Go here http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/507750-hobbywing-tech-support-1-8-1-10-off-road-103.html
for the newest Hobbywing thread, you will get faster responces most of the time.
Paul Rush
HWNA
Much appreciated :-) I'll have a browse before I ask for specifics. Maybe my question has already been answered.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anyone know if there is a difference in the color in the V2.1 or V3.1 esc's. I heard blue is the better one. Any truth to that.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing Ezrun 150a ESC losing power

Hi, I'm running the Hobbywing 150a ESC with a Toro sensorless 4600kv motor, it runs fine for about 5mins or so then seems to lose power when i apply any Throttle.
It does'nt stop completely just loses about 95% of it's power but if i go off and on with the Throttle or roll to a stop and hit the Throttle again it seems to go back to full power again.
Any advice muchly appreciated. Cheers
Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Ive been having problems with my hobbywing Xerun sct pro/ hobbywing 4000kv sensored motor. Last season everything worked fine with no issues. Last week was my first time out this year, and the system turns on fine , but when i pull the trigger the motor just cogs over and doesnt turn.... eventually after rolling it around it will kick in. Once it starts working , both red/green lights are flashing when input it at neutral. Ive made sure the sensor cable is plugged in, and looked over all my wiring/soldering. Im wondering if anyone has an idea , before I desolder the unit and try and new motor...
thanks!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

dear all I have a 120a version of the Hobbywing Xerun - I think it is the V2.0 - can this be run in Blinky, and if so how? It's only for club racing, and therefore the other members would be OK if it does not blink, so long as it is not boosted. thanks for the help - BTW I have a control box for it
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmccoll
Ive been having problems with my hobbywing Xerun sct pro/ hobbywing 4000kv sensored motor. Last season everything worked fine with no issues. Last week was my first time out this year, and the system turns on fine , but when i pull the trigger the motor just cogs over and doesnt turn.... eventually after rolling it around it will kick in. Once it starts working , both red/green lights are flashing when input it at neutral. Ive made sure the sensor cable is plugged in, and looked over all my wiring/soldering. Im wondering if anyone has an idea , before I desolder the unit and try and new motor...
thanks!
I'd try a different sensor wire. I've had exactly that happen. Sensor wire looked perfect too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.