Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New radio and electronics >

New radio and electronics

New radio and electronics

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New radio and electronics

What would be a good radio that's a 30 channel radio and under $120? I like the futaba because its a bit computerized. Also when I look at hobby peoples store it talks about crystals what is that?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Crystal are what keep the transmitter/radio and receiver on the same frequency. If you race or drive your cars with other people and you notice someone is on channel 88 and someone is on channel 71. these channels correspond to the frequency of the crystals.

If someone is on the same channel as you, you cannot run your car. You will be able to control his car and/or he will be able to control yours. That is a bad situation to be in.

You can buy extra crystal on different channels and change them as needed to an open frequency. Better yet you can increase your budget for a new radio and get an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS. They run on 2.4 Ghz and you don't need to change crystals.

In my opinion the Airtroncis MX-3FHSS is better that the Spektrum because it has frequency hopping which searches for the best signal every couple of seconds and it is a pure digital signal meaning faster response and latancy time. The Spektrum finds an open frequency and stays locked into that frequency for the duration of you run or race. This increases interference and glitching especially if some one is using a cell phone with bluetooth or cordless phone or anything else on 2.4 Ghz.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Is it easy to change frequencies, or do you just select a frequency on the remote and the car will automatically drive on whatever frequency you choose?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is easy to change out the crystals. You have to remove the crystal from the transmitter and receiver and replace them with another frquency crystal.

You can't select the frequency on the transmitter. I think (not totally sure) that the Airtronics MX-3S is able to change frequencies.

Just upgrade your radio to a 2.4 GHz system

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16275

Here is a review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802367
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks a lot, even though it is a little over my budget I will get it. Should be getting paid soon so it won't be long.