Smallest ESC?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default Smallest ESC?

hey guys, would any of you know whats the smallest esc out there? also, what escs do you guys use? i was thinking of getting the Hara Twister 2.2. Any imput?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
hey guys, would any of you know whats the smallest esc out there? also, what escs do you guys use? i was thinking of getting the Hara Twister 2.2. Any imput?
goijng by you saying you are going to try the hara twister 2.2...thats is small but has big diode.
if you want small and conpact lrp quantam sereis esc are small and dont have diode on them.the novak gtx is also small but have a bid diode on them.

gm makes an esc called the sx9.they are smaller yet...but good luck finding/product support.

my suggestion is that if you want small go with the lrp.....heck i even have obe i will sell ya...............lol
Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

yeah, i was thinking about the LRP, and seems like a good esc, but shouldnt all escs use a diode? its not required but you should use it so it doesnt harm it while braking?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes you're right Fwd only esc's need diodes. Some have them built in while others have them externally near the esc case while others expect you to install the diode on the motor or in the wires near the motor.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Don't rule out the new Tekin FX esc. Very small with a small capacitor and loads of tuning right on board the unit.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

IMOO, I would go with the Hara Twister. It is the same as a KO Propo VFS-1 Competition and I have 3 of them. They are really awesome quality ESC. Awesome tunability as well. You really cannot go wrong with one of them. The LRP quantum series are also good, though I don't have much experience. I didn't quite like the feel of the one I had and couldn't find a profile I quite liked. Tekin Fx Pro I have heard rave reviews about, but I have first hand experience with the Hara/VFS-1 series. Awesome piece of equipment.

In addition to those, I also bought a Castle Creations Sidwinder. Though it is a BL ESC, it also runs Brushed at any turn and doesn't need a diode. It is just as tunable as any of the ones mentioned above, and it runs brushless to boot. For $80 brand spanking new, it should be one you really really look at. I am in love with mine. $80, and all the tuning options you can imagine, and FREE firmware updates with the Castle Creations Link.

I bought a Trinity DUO Stock equal motor because the Sidewinder is a sensorless unit and the DUO can do sensored and sensorless ESC's. It runs beautifully. But while I was waiting for my DUO to show, I ran it with my 9t motor in my T-Force. It was so smooth. Sidewinder Cannot, I repeat, CANNOT be beat for the price. Hell, it's pretty hard to beat at any price.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jheimb4897 View Post
In addition to those, I also bought a Castle Creations Sidwinder. Though it is a BL ESC, it also runs Brushed at any turn and doesn't need a diode. It is just as tunable as any of the ones mentioned above, and it runs brushless to boot. For $80 brand spanking new, it should be one you really really look at. I am in love with mine. $80, and all the tuning options you can imagine, and FREE firmware updates with the Castle Creations Link.

Sidewinder Cannot, I repeat, CANNOT be beat for the price. Hell, it's pretty hard to beat at any price.
Sounds like a great option for me. Is it small? Will it fit in a Tamiya TA05-R?

- Paulie
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jheimb4897 View Post

Sidewinder Cannot, I repeat, CANNOT be beat for the price. Hell, it's pretty hard to beat at any price.
Sounds like a great option for me. Is it small? Will it fit in a Tamiya TA05-R?

- Paulie
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Yeah, really easily. Especailly since you don't need any capacitors or diodes. Believe me man, you cannot go wrong with that Sidewinder. It also has LiPo cut-off, drag-brake, dead-band and all sorts of other adjustments that you can make without the castle link.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post

Go with the Tekin line of Speed controls. The FX is a great one that has a small footprint and can handle very low winds. Also the R1 Pro would be an awsome choice. It can turn any brushed motor or the the R1 Pro along with the Tekin Redline motors. You can gear them to the moon and is very smooth yet powerfull
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i say the tekin fx pro its very small and very powerful
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tekin

Yes and unlike the other micro ESC's it's programmable.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

does the tekin have a diode inside or is it outside? i dont think diodes are too important, because i would be able to put it under and use it as a rest for the wires coming off. That new sidewinder looks awesome for the price, but how many inches would you say. Is it as small as the hara and lrp, around 1''x1''? what brushless motors can be used with it? only the mamba's? im asking because i dont think they have a 17.5 available for it, do they?