Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Need help choosing Radio's >

Need help choosing Radio's

Need help choosing Radio's

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need help choosing Radio's

Ok i baught an RTR TC4 but since then ive changed the car. 6turn double epic intense motor, all aluminum and so on. what im trying to decided here is wich Radio is better between the 2 that i have

just trying to decide so i can sell one since i have one car and no need for 2 radio's

Futaba Magnum 2PL or the Stock Team Associated XP2.

Last edited by RoseTuned; 10-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

anyone?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

the 2pl is slightly better, but I would reccomend geting a better radio, like the futaba 3pm
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have the 2pl and think its great but i would keep the one that is the most comfy for you
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

its a bit out of my price range. can you recommend something thats good but abit cheaper
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

here is a ? are some radio's faster then others? what i mean by this, is do all radio's push your motor top speed or do some have limitations.

like can my futaba run my motor faster then my team ae
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoseTuned View Post
here is a ? are some radio's faster then others? what i mean by this, is do all radio's push your motor top speed or do some have limitations.

NO....radio DOES NOT make your car/motor run faster, but I am sure everyone wish their radio can do that to their car/motor...LOL

May be you heard somoene mentioned about this specific radio is FASTER then the other..they are not referring to the MOTOR speed...they are referring to the radio transfer RATE...it transmit the signal to your receiver/servo faster then the other...

You don't need to worry about that....you (and me) cannot tell the different.

And your original question....not even a question, FUTABA all the way...alot better then the black-blueish Toys R Us radio by AE...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

kool. do you think the team ae xp2 and the TR202A reciever are worth trying to sell?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoseTuned View Post

The transmitter, if set-up correctly, has nothing to do with how fast your motor goes. The transmitter sends out a signal. The receiver in your car decodes that signal and splits it into signals that different components attached to the receiver can decode. It is these other components that complete the tasks that determine if something is completed as desired.

In this case, you are talking about your speed controller. If the transmitter is set-up properly, it will be able to send a signal that can tell the speed controller to go from neutral to full throttle, back to full brake and/or reverse. If the speed controller or transmitter aren't set-up correctly, full power will not be archived by the motor, due to the settings. Some speed controllers have built in programming to limit power to keep from self-destructing.

When purchasing a new transmitter, things to take into consideration are, comfort, features, power. Some transmitters will feel better to you than others. Some transmitters have fewer features than others, and can mean better set-ups and control. Other transmitters are known for putting out tons of power, and rarely ever glitch using crystals.

Your best bet for finding a new transmitter, go shopping at your local track. Ask the people that have different transmitters if you can hold theirs. Feel it's balance and wheel placement. Ask the owner questions about what they like/dis-like about it. Ask if they ever have reception problems. Find out about receiver sizes and make sure that it will fit your application. Find out if they ever switched from another brand/type of transmitter and why. Get to feel as many as possible, and beg nicely if you can take a lap or two to see if the transmitter fits your taste. Purchasing a transmitter should be a once in a while thing, so dropping the cash on a transmitter should be a no-brainer. It is your cockpit and should fit the driver.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would stick with what you have untill you can afford a 3pm or a used 3pk. Radios are like anything, you get what you pay for. It's not worth buying cheap radios over and over, because in the end you will have spent a lot more than you thought.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had a 2pl AM for a year, I've had my JR XS3 for about a year and a half. Now it's time to upgrade again, at my local track I asked a couple guys if I could try out their radios, then I went to the LHS and asked to hold a couple. with the drop down I prefer the 3PK, but that's a personal preference based on comfort and when you get into an 8-minute 12th scale main you need all the comfort you can get. Then again...there's also those 30 minute A-main nitro finishes...those can't be fun unless you've got a controller you like.

most high end radios have the same settings, just orgainzed in a different way....
Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

I would take the 2pl
Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Save up and get like a dx2.0 from the for sale forum or get the mx3 or 2pm like other members say.

THE RADIO IS YOUR CONTROL OVER THE CAR AND IS ALMOST OR MORE IMPORTANT THEN YOU CAR SETUP. BUY ONCE AND GET SOMETHING YOU CAN USE FOR YEARS TO COME.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

jr series as well

xr2i,xr3i,xs3
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The XR2i is basically the JR version of the Futaba 2PL that he already has...