Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1/12th scale carpet modified
Old 11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Just want to put in my 2 cents about how glad I am Tekin is releasing a new line. I have used Tekin Speedo's since the very first Tekin ESC back in the 80's and still have some very good G-12's that I use off road. I got a used G11 pro from another racer that abused it for a while but it still seemed to work pretty well. It eventually started acting funny and I sent it in for repairs. It arrived via USPS to Tekin late Monday afternoon, and much to my surprise I got an email the next day saying it was shipped back to me already. Wouldn't you know it, it was in my mail box today. The repair charges were more than fair, the esc works great, they threw in a new cap for me, and sent me some killer stickers too!!! Service like this is what separates the manufacturers. I have sent back some "orange" esc's and have gotten decent service but nothing like this. Thanks for the wicked fast return service. All I have left to say is that when the new line hits the shelves, I will have a lot of "orange and purple" esc's for sale. Great Job!!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Champion

Glad to hear you're being looked after well Glowster!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Team Tekin

Rog: Generally when I run mine in a class like that I run the throttle limiter around 80% or so. Brake freq's is how you like your brakes to feel. Drive freq around 8 or so and check the brushes on the motor for burning. IF they aren't burning you can go up for more punch until you see some burning. The other settings are how you like the car to feel, drag brake, throttle minimum,etc.

The R1 and R1 pro will have Lipo cut off as well as the Fx series I believe. Don't over look one of the nicest features of all....the temp sensor.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Fact or fiction. The NEW Tekin stuff is made in the same building as Castle Creations stuff? As in, Castle Creations is making Tekins stuff.

Saw this on a different board.

So, is it true? No oponions here, we want the truth from someone who would know.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Completely false, Tekin, or should I say, it's owners, have businesses in other areas of electronics, so all the design is their own, and I do beleive, a good part is manufactured 'in house', there may be a fact that some stuff is 'out-sourced' but more than likely, it is a PCB manufacturer, and maybe just so happens is used by Caslte Creations, but that is just guess work.

PM Tekin on here if you want a difinitive answer, I am sure Jim would be more than willing to answer it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Team Tekin

Completely fiction. Clearly there is no similiarity between castle's esc and Tekin's. Brushless motors can all look the same since there aren't thousands of places that make them. Look at the Trinity and the Reedy Neo series. Earily similiar when you take off the stickers... Castle has never been one to cater to the serious racer. Tekin is in that market clearly as well as the general hobbiest. This whole rumor started when Tekin's 1/18 Mini Rage motors just happneded to have a green can. If you were to contact any of the brushless motor manufacturers you could ask them to make them whatever color that you wanted, just sign the contract for the order and you can have purple ones! Tekin has posted some "naked" pics of their esc, look at it compared to the Castle and you tell me what you think...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great points, but I'd love to hear this from the owner of Tekin, or Scooter. From what I saw posted and heard someone talking about, Tekin may design, in part, their stuff, but it is manufactured by Castle Creations. So, can someone who really knows and is not speculation let us know.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The owner of one of our LHS told me that the motors the Castle and Tekin use for the micro cars are made by the same manufacturer. However, when it comes to the ESC, he said that they are suppose to be different as Tekin used to make everything in house. He did speculate that there is a very remote possibility that both ESC's are possibly made by the same manufacturer. Either way, I think both brands are great, have good customer service, and work well. The little differences are what you're paying the additional price for and possibly just the name. Personally, I think Castle Creations stuff is much more worth the money and it will be a while before they are outdated.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Team Tekin

I'm not speculating. I'm not at liberty to discuss my position. That being said I'm in the know. I wouldn't have posted anything at all if I didn't know for sure.

Lots of electronics companies all order from the same vendors. Say Fet's for example. None of the current esc manufacturers are making their own Fet. They all purchase a Fet that fits their spec's. Same goes for the brushless motors right now. Trinity doesn't build the brushed motors themselves, their made for them by an outside vendor... This is how most of our r/c stuff is done.

Their's always a good chance that you could split open a case on any of the esc's on the market today and see similiar if not exactly the same parts. My point is that there's more to driving electric motors then just the hardware. Software is a huge part in this. Some drive it differently. All the puter geeks can scope some of the esc's and show it to you.... Tekin practically dead shorts the battery straight to the motor! This is why most people notice the extra punch that their new Tekin had compared to their other esc.

IF you want your definative answer I'd suggest posting on Tekin's own forum. Their more active there.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

right, the 18th scale motors are the same motors that Castle use.

The ESC's are totaly different, I am assuming that you don't have much knowledge of the electronics industry, but at times, although you design and prototype in-house, but it may be cheaper to have it 'manufactured' outside, this doesn't mean that the unit isn't Tekin designed, just it has been put through a solder bath in a faceless manufacturing plant to keep costs down.

Now, if this HAS happened, and there is a remote possibility that Castle do it to, then very VERY remotely, they could be done in the same place.... but they would be made to Castle designs for their ESC and Tekins design for theirs.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

when is the new brushless speedo due out?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I do not care who builds the new tekin speedos but just make them so I can put one in my 12 scale.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

at an inch square, it should fit in most cars!!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Scooter or any Tekin personel , know if the new speed control will be available at the Champs in Cleveland????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.